Horse ads. Please help a miserable old cynic ...

X

xspiralx

The only thing I can say is don't read too much into sale adverts - if something sounds suitable, then call the owner and have a chat.

Sellers are damned if they do, damned if they don't - I'm selling mine right now and trying to be really honest about him in the advert because I don't want to waste anyone's time. So it does say he is not suitable for a novice and other things. That's not a euphemism to say he is a psycho, it means exactly what it says, he's a smart, athletic young horse who definitely would not suit a novice rider.

Some people do lie, yes, but best to just call up and have a chat with the seller.

Nicnac

Visit site
Being an older even more cynical person than you - I wouldn't think that horse suitable. It's a dumbblood which are often quirkly and appears to not enjoy flatwork unless being ridden by a very strong rider with lots of 'encouragement', however enjoys flying round the country and jumping so unless you can the idea of doing a bit of dressage, unsuitable.

They are out there - I lost my horse just over 2 years ago and decided that rather than trawling through the ads I'd contact a few reputable dealers. Within 2 weeks I'd found my dream horse. Flew 5 star vetting and yes, I paid more than I planned to but don't regret a penny of it.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Really feel for you Mrs B we lost a mare last week that we have had for 12 wonderful news, I have been scanning ads ever since, haven't got much of a budget, looking for a youngster to give a forever home, but seem to be hitting a brick wall, read through the ads and there is a 'but', everything that hasn't, when I call has been sold, but ad is still up or not edited to say 'sold'. Its driving me mad

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
They leave foot prints in your heart, opening your heart to another does not disrespect the one you lost. I feel the same with our George we lost, his kennel lying empty- his beds in the house un slept on.

No one can replace one you lost but you can open another door in your heart for another

I miss all of mine daily they are in my memories and the love for them stays strong, always will they are in my heart and soul

D stable is as she left it for the last time, like a shrine its a comfort knowing her presence is still here. When its not so raw do something to honour his memories (ideas in my link in sig).

I sat many a time after in her stable as I felt closer to her there, its still so raw for you give your self time to grieve. When the time is right another little patter of hoof prints will find you.

Last edited:

Mrs B

Visit site
Thanks all - I did actually spot that buckskin (last link), DizzyS but too far away - looks a nice sort.

CT - had quite a long email chat with the seller but he is as good as sold. But maybe you're right, Nicnac ... it was just to show you the sort of boxes I'm looking to tick.

Pennyless, thanks for the thought, but I'd just prefer one of my own.

I do understand what you're saying xspiralx but sadly over the years, I've come to believe you're in the minority but I sure hope I can find a seller like you!

And huge hugs to all those who have lost and are looking: I hope we all find what we're looking for. Finally, good idea, AA!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
ok, this is how I do it! I have very specific needs following an horrific accident that left me disabled. I decided roughly the height, build and type I needed, then I factored in my budget. I rang anything that fit that critera, and some that didnt :D You can learn an awful lot in a chat over the phone. Anything that then seemed remotely suitable I go and see. I work on the basis that owners describe the horse THEY have, you will end up with something different as horses arent machines and are different for different people.

You then go and look, discounting ANYTHING you have been told, and you judge for yourself. You then buy the one that makes you heart sing!

This ^^^ in a a word.

STRIKER

Visit site
I believe and from seeing posts on here that horses are different in different peoples hands, you have to read between the lines, go and see, have a trial period etc.

Mrs B

Visit site
I believe and from seeing posts on here that horses are different in different peoples hands, you have to read between the lines, go and see, have a trial period etc.

That'd be lovely, Striker and I quite agree ... it's what used to happen when I was a kid and in the 80's, but these days? It seems to be 'make your mind up now or lose them'. A bit like deciding if you'll marry the bloke on the first date ...

Sprig

Visit site
I have just been looking for exactly the same as you, with a similar budget (up to 4k) and unfortunately I have to say it was a struggle! (we are in Wilts so same sort of geographical area too). I have ended up with something on loan from a friend of a friend. Have you looked on NFED.co.uk? I found lots of promising ones on there and mostly not too far to travel either.
I gave up on looking at anything advertised by dealers too. I came to the conclusion that for the criteria and budget that from a dealer either it blatently did not meet the criteria (even though they said it did) or it came with hidden (sometimes not that well!) problems. I would look on local Riding Club and Hunt websites. I found quite a few very reasonably priced horses this way as those who advertise there first generally are more interested in home than price as a priority. Also put the word out locally that you are looking and put up wanted adverts in tack shops, competition centres etc. Good luck and don't be afraid not to even get on something that you go and view if you are not 100% sure about it. There were a few that I didn't as I was not convinced they were not about to do something silly. Your safety is paramount and unfortunately some people are less than honest (or in denial) about their horses behaviour.
Happy horse hunting. I hope it is speedy and pain free!

debsflo

Visit site
If there was a category on the horse sales websites -Middle Aged ladies horse, that would make it so much easier. Safe, sensible, easy to do, able to do a bit of everything, but no world beater. Trouble is, they are in such demand they go word of mouth, or very, very quickly.
I found one recently just like this, and she absolutely made my heart sing. Unfortunately she failed vetting badly, so it's back to trawling through the ads again, looking for that needle in a haystack.
What a fab idea that would be.....good luck with your search.

Mince Pie

Visit site
My suggestion would be to go to a good dealer and see if they have anything you might like, that way you can try several and if there isn't anything at the time you can leave your details in case something comes in that would suit your criteria :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
True Cortez, but how do I begin to sort out which of the 'some' is 'the one' when so many sellers are 'economical with the actualité'? Merlin I bought at 10 to do lots of 'stuff' with. Assured he could do this and more. He turned out to be completely show shy. Not excited; just terrified. Fun rides, xc in company, tannoys, more than 3 in a hacking group ... even travel boots turned him into a poo-ing, quivering wreck and it took me years of hitching lifts in trailers to go for a simple hack before we got anywhere. The rest of the time, he was a complete, sweet dope on a rope.

I don't want to sound smug but I don't understand the difficulty people have with finding suitable horses. These days (having previously travelled the width of Britain to find the horse I was looking for on the doorstep) I restrict myself to a max of an hour's travel and preferably less.
The last 4 horses I have bought have been the 1st or 2nd that I looked at, each time. And I certainly am not prepared to just take on any project and make it work out. I have a very particular set of criteria and every one of those horses has fitted it. I am very clear what I am prepared to compromise on, e.g. colour and what not e.g. gender and which 'quirks' I will put up with and I don't go anywhere near horses which do not, in the advert, fulfil my criteria.
When I go to view a horse, I expect to see it ridden in all the circumstances I will want to try it, before I get on. If despite what he vendor has told me about it being well-mannered, it won't stand still for its owner to mount, I thank them for their time and say its not the horse for me. If I like the horse, I expect to view it a 2nd time, if I can't, it's not the horse for me.
You are correct OP that you have to read between the lines of the ads but I think before that you need to think about what you would put in a wanted ad and only consider ringing about those which meet your criteria exactly.
Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
Huge hugs. I know only too well what you are going through

I'm 49 and a little bit broken so needed to get it right after losing Micah.

Well the first time I didn't and 13 months later sold him on at a massive loss both in confidence and cash

Now I have Fi and omg I am having safe fun again for the first time in 10yrs and it's a revelation

My advise is stay smallish 15.1 for me I'm 5ft 6 It makes a difference to everything. This time I went for one that said 'sort hard to find'. Been and done some shows (all others hadn't) Over priced for type but they felt she was worth it (she was!!!) I know it isn't always the case

Also she is ginger welsh. I said I would never have a welsh and wasn't a mare person before

Would never buy another horse that wasn't forward going either. Far too much work and more argumentative

I wish you lots of luck. Your doing the right thing to be filling the stable :)
I did what you did.Went for the type hard to find.He hadb een extensively hacked and had also done local shows and pony club.He is welsh and was probably a bit overpriced.Was he worth it? You bet.

eahotson

Visit site
I am in the same boat as you, only 54! The one I had when I was 19 only popped off 2 years ago, he out-lasted the ones I bred to take over from him. How do you replace a horse like that?

So the search is on and I am really stuck. All those years ago I didn't set out with a wish list as long as your arm, I just went out and bought (err first one I saw!).

First I am sticking with Arabs, then I am on Done Deal looking at jumping horses, then I am thinking about Welsh Ds, then I am looking at auctions, then I get offered an ex-racer. In all probability I will end up buying from a stud, either unbacked or just sat on. What I worry about the most is soundness now - horse that is, not me.

ETS - my friend who is 80+ has a Fjord - a super little sports pony.

You really can't beat a good little native in my opinion.Perhaps they should be marketed as small sports horses!

soulfull

Visit site
Being an older even more cynical person than you - I wouldn't think that horse suitable. It's a dumbblood which are often quirkly and appears to not enjoy flatwork unless being ridden by a very strong rider with lots of 'encouragement', however enjoys flying round the country and jumping so unless you can the idea of doing a bit of dressage, unsuitable.

They are out there - I lost my horse just over 2 years ago and decided that rather than trawling through the ads I'd contact a few reputable dealers. Within 2 weeks I'd found my dream horse. Flew 5 star vetting and yes, I paid more than I planned to but don't regret a penny of it.

This ^^^^ 100% has to be forward going and thinking. Mrs B if you've never had a backward thinking horse please please don't go there! Ive had 3 and all were extremely hard work physically and more argumentative and stubborn than forward horses

I did what you did.Went for the type hard to find.He hadb een extensively hacked and had also done local shows and pony club.He is welsh and was probably a bit overpriced.Was he worth it? You bet.

Fabby :)

You really can't beat a good little native in my opinion.Perhaps they should be marketed as small sports horses!

Very true, but nothing worse than a bad one lol

TGM

Visit site
I don't want to sound smug but I don't understand the difficulty people have with finding suitable horses. These days (having previously travelled the width of Britain to find the horse I was looking for on the doorstep) I restrict myself to a max of an hour's travel and preferably less.
The last 4 horses I have bought have been the 1st or 2nd that I looked at, each time.

I must say the last three we have bought were only the 1st or 2nd viewed as well, and all have performed their required job very well. However, the art does lie in sifting through a lot of adverts and being adept at reading between the lines of the ads. And also a bit of internet research can reveal whether the vendor's claims are actually substantiated, plus being a bit perceptive about how your questions are answered on the phone can tell you a lot. But it is an acquired art so I can quite understand why people struggle!

soulfull

Visit site
I must say the last three we have bought were only the 1st or 2nd viewed as well, and all have performed their required job very well. However, the art does lie in sifting through a lot of adverts and being adept at reading between the lines of the ads. And also a bit of internet research can reveal whether the vendor's claims are actually substantiated, plus being a bit perceptive about how your questions are answered on the phone can tell you a lot. But it is an acquired art so I can quite understand why people struggle!

Fi was the first one I viewed. she is perfect. however as you say I think you need to be good at reading the adverts and be strict on what you are looking for

in previous years I have travelled 1000's of miles still getting it wrong

Elfen

Visit site
I'm having a nightmare selling mine and am trying to be totally honest in my ad and really flexible - allowing him to go on trial etc, he went on long term loan with a girl I thought would be fabulous, stayed on my yard and we had conversations about her buying him. Unfortunately she told everyone else a different story to what she told me so had to find him another home. He went on trial and was perfect but was nappy hacking on his own - not something I'd ever had an issue with but horses do need to settle In to their new environment, so I've added that in my for sale advert. He's a proper low level competition horse - will do up to 90cm jumping and great dressage - 70+ prelim 65+ novice. If Only I could find someone like me - bit older, wanting to have fun at local comps!

leflynn

Visit site
I hope you can read between the lines and find another 4 legged pal to have fun with MrsB, if its any consolation the 3 I've bought were mostly accidental and not what we were looking for, looked for a 8yo rc ready to go horse, ended up with a 4yo TB with no history other than racing and reschooling on home turf, at the same time bought a 8yo TB who is owned by a friend (60 ish yr old lady that was looking for a horse for 3 yrs prior) and the wondercob who we looked at in the June ummed and ahed and after some haggling and him being on lwtb to someone else bought him in the October, he's a smasher and has been called a schoolmaster even though it's his first real yr of competing lol, none were over £1500 and if we went on the ad alone would never have viewed!

I just liked the look of the cob, and the TB's I didn't go to view on a dealers yard, but I hated what I went to look at! :D

misskk88

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your loss.... It is never easy moving on.

As others have said, don't try and find a replica or replacement because you won't. I learnt that after trying to find another version of my old loan horse from my teens. I have absolutely adored my first 2 horses, in totally different ways to my loan horse.

All I can say is there is nothing wrong with being a bit fussy, however sometimes people use 'horsey language' for their adverts which scream certain faults or vices to others. I can promise that if I ever had to sell my horse (I hopefully wont!), it would be the most cliche' advert you are likely to ever read because 1, I have never sold a horse before (my first went to my RI who knew him well and where he still happily is) and 2, I would not know any other way to describe her! She has been a total pleasure ride and done a bit of everything with me. Her record wouldn't be full of winnings or rosettes but I would put money on it that should someone want that from her- she would be up for that job.

If you like to sound and look of one don't email but phone- you can gauge a lot from someones response to your questions. I think if anyone spoke to me- they would realise that my hypothetical ad would be more than genuine, so I am pretty sure I am not the only person out there like this :D

If you then visit- ask lots of questions, don't be scared to ask to try a second time or take a vet/friend along with you. Most of all trust your gut instinct! You may not find your perfect horse immediately, but I am sure one that the one you end up adoring won't be at all what you thought you would end up with!

Good luck :)

Wilma's mum

New User
Visit site
Mrs B I entirely sympathise. In my 50's (past the half way mark!) I lost a great friend and have been struggling with the thought of throwing the towel in as I can't face the looking for a new horse scenario.

However, I just can't 'retire' and have probably idiotically thought that hope over adversity will win the day!! Or being a cynical old bat will help!!

By the way, I have a horse for sale and I promise to tell everyone the unvarnished truth about my mare's capabilities. So much so that nobody has been to see her! Ha Ha

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
My Connie fits your description even down to the rug size but is grey! This time I decided to go to a dealer, I've known her since I was 7, my Mum grew up competing in gymkhanas with her, so a family friend. I gave her a list of what I wanted and even though we haven't really spoken as I have moved areas for nearly 10 years, she toddled off to Ireland, bought 3 lovely horses that were suitable and had found another one local to her that she thought might also be suitable and that was Nickel. All four were great, the Irish ones were a little young and expensive but not too much, Nickel was exactly what I was looking for 8 years old, 15.1hh, bombproof, fantastic in company, does a bit of everything, all for £2k!

Capriole

Visit site
Good luck finding something. I detest horse ads and buying. So boring.

Re the 'potential' thing though. I feel really sorry for horses like mine that might be overlooked for something if I said he had 'potential' for something he hasn't done simply because I've no interest in it. i.e. He's got a lot of potential as an eventer... I've even been told by someone worth listening to, do you event that, cos you should! Trouble is i've less than no interest in eventing him, although he'd love it.
So what I'm saying is don't roll your eyes and disregard a horse that's labelled as having potential for something or other, the horse might have all the potential in the world for you if you choose to explore that, the current owner might know full well where it's talent lies but not have the interest, talent, or money, to compete in that area.

Tobiano

Visit site
Oooh... Have been browsing Horsequest (as you do) and their reference 93819 looks lovely! I'd be very keen if I didnt already have the equivalent in a gelding :) Not sure what type you are looking for but she looks smashing to me.