Horse age

Luclila

Visit site
What do people think about buying slightly older horses. Most people say between 8-13 is good. So is 15 realistically too old? Especially when wanting to jump?

oldie48

Visit site
I have always bought established older horses who are doing the job that I want them to do. I work on the principle that if they are in their teens and have had no significant problems (not always easy to check) they will probably continue for quite a while very happily. Having said that, you can't guarantee that they won't have an illness or injury. If I found a 15 year old horse that I liked and was priced to reflect his age, then I wouldn't hesitate but I would have a 5 stage vetting with a pragmatic vet.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Just bear in mind that his future jumping career will not be as long as a younger horse, and his risk of injury due to age will be significantly higher. It really depends on his history and what work he has done in the past. I would not expect a happy hack to start jumping, but if you are keeping a jumper ticking over then go for it! Best of luck!

SO1

Visit site
If you are buying a school master they can be fab but get a vetting and insure.

Also if you think you might want to sell on in a couple of years for example if you wanted to jump bigger etc it might be harder to sell on.

My pony is 20 now and is having some age related issues and they started at 17. Luckily he is still insured and I have also got savings to help cover any extra costs for anything he might need as he ages.1

Birker2020

Visit site
When I was looking I was told by a professional that if I was looking for something older check that it had been in constant work and that had an up to date competition record as that would show that the horse had managed to stay relatively injury free and maintained its soundness into an older age.

And obviously back that up with a vetting as a fail safe (or supposed fail safe)

Squeak

Visit site
If you're wanting something to give you experience then they can be worth their weight in gold. They can also be a bit more forgiving and not need riding everyday etc like a younger horse might.

Stella-fy

Visit site
In terms of value how much would you pay for an 18 year old horse? I am so nervous trying to get that balance between understanding the value in an older horse and not the overpaying as there could be soundness issues quite soon after purchase

spacefaer

Visit site
In terms of value how much would you pay for an 18 year old horse? I am so nervous trying to get that balance between understanding the value in an older horse and not the overpaying as there could be soundness issues quite soon after purchase

It alll depends on the horse's history, what he's currently doing, what expectations you have - is he going to step down from 1.30s to teach you at 1.10, or are you aiming for 90 tracks on one that's been jumping 1.10?
Also vet records and any soundness/management issues
Very hard to value something so hypothetical - sorry!