Horse and Hound Columnist

SusieT

Visit site
Have to say I am a bit disappointed in the column at the back of H+H. It used to be more witty!
It's a bit boring and samey and the ' I'm not a bad mother really but... ' is a bit roll your eyes.

So two weeks ago she ignored her child telling her the pony was hopping lame - and apparantly hadn't noticed this herself.

This week the child falls off hunting and instead of checking he's ok/alive, is left behind and when he'catches up' is injured.... there's not helicopter parenting and there is being a bit of an eejit which is how they come across but maybe that's just me!

Esme

www.facebook.com
I knew this would be about that awful woman! I stopped paying attention to the back page after the edition sneering at new subscribers when she returned to her childhood hunt. I think the idea of the column had potential but it's been in serious decline. As you say - boring, unoriginal and she comes across as utterly dislikeable!

Reactions: DD

Lois Lame

Visit site
Yeah, not funny. Reminds me a bit of an awful tv show we have here called 'Funniest Home Videos'. Mostly it's full of kids falling off things, running into things and other really unfunny stuff. the kids are hurt and sad. I don't get it.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I think we all know parents who push their kids when it comes to horses.
I'm all for encouragement but even I cringed with the sentence where the child says 'the fence is too big' and hey presto the pony stops at some point.
It's this actually made up? That she actually carried on!!
I don't have kids but if a rider falls off directly behind me I go back and check them.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I must admit, when I saw this week's column I cringed.

The 'joke' about social services may not end up being such a joke!

Mother sees 10yo (?) child be thrown to the floor, breaking a tooth and thinks "heck, I'll leave him here in the countryside to sort himself out as I am having fun."

Endangerment and abandonment?

Not that I think anything will happen from it, but you can imagine if it were a school trip? Child says they don't want to to a potentially dangerous activity, is forced, injures themselves and is left behind?

Ceifer

Visit site
Sounds as well advised as that kid doing the showing blog, the one who's groom walked out on her at Christmas, more power to the groom by the sounds of it.
I rarely read H&H but I do remember seeing this article and thinking exactly the same as you. They sounded spirteful and so unprofessional to write about it in a national magazine.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I rarely read H&H but I do remember seeing this article and thinking exactly the same as you. They sounded spirteful and so unprofessional to write about it in a national magazine.

tbh it was like reading something out of the 1950s and they saw fit to put it on FB (whereI saw it) where they didn't get quite the response to it I think they expected! It was a shame it ended in vitriol against the kid but surely HH must realise that very privileged part of their readership is not representative of the horsey population. The magazine is a dinosaur.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I lost count of the number of kids I picked up after their ghastly parents (usually mothers) abandoned them out hunting. Not just kids either, astounding how many people were happy to let someone else scrape their spouses off the floor, sometimes even accompanying them to hospital, while they just carried on with their great day ...

catkin

Visit site
It's massively bad PR for our sport and just lives up to the stereotype of "posh, snobby hunting types who don't give a toss about anyone or anything". Disappointing.

Do you mean bad PR for equestrianism as a whole or hunting as a sub-set of that?

I am shocked as my whole equestrian life I have been taught that you help people in a pickle.

Hunters please, we live in a media-age, you are alienating horsey people that were 'neutral' about your sport with stuff like this and the actions of some during the flu outbreak, let alone other people who don't step into the horse community.

CMcC

Visit site
Sounds as well advised as that kid doing the showing blog, the one who's groom walked out on her at Christmas, more power to the groom by the sounds of it.

Thank god, I thought it was only me! Actually I thought it was a joke when I first read it, then sadly realised it wasn’t.

UptodateK

Visit site
I'm so glad i'm not the only one who found this pretty appalling. She's snobby and irritating at the best of times, but asking your kid 'more than once' if he was sure he wanted to go home after falling off, chipping his tooth and crying his eyes out, just because you want to continue having fun......not good.