horse arena scotland

jules9671

j666jwd.bebo.com
Hi, any scottish/aberdeenshire residents give me advise on contractors for outdoor sand arena 20 40, had a quote at 20k which I think is a bit a steep. Its on quite level land.
Thanks
Julie

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
might be best posting this in stable yard rather than News section?

£20k isnt un-normal for a 40x20 manege if it is well built and with a good surface, tho agree you might get it a couple of k cheaper with the same spec by shopping around

This link might be useful as a checklist to ensure all the quotes are for the right kind of material and process of laying
http://www.heritage-house.org/manege.html

pointersrus

Visit site
hi, im in aberdeenshire and have just completed my menage with a sand surface and have manage to do it within a budget of 8k. The site required a lot of ground clearance/work as was originally a building so all of the cement and founds had to be dug up and buried elseware then a huge soakaway to support 200m of lined drainage had to be created, i used a membrane on top of the drains to stop any dirt washing in then hordcore was laid and leveled then a further membrane to stop the washed sand surface from mixing through the hardcore and into the drains. It has only been down for a few months but there is no water settling anywhere although it is a bit deep at the moment it is starting to settle really well and the surface is not moving at all. The guys that did my groundworks have experience of doing quite a few menages now and do it in their spare time ie weekends etc but work during the week as digger drivers in the construction industry so really know what they are doing especially with drainage, I think that really helped and they were quick to complete the work also which helped wth the overall costs.