Horse back at mine, first hack out and getting to know the dog. Vid attached

Quartz

Visit site
I am keeping my horse at mine over the summer, I have a lovely big field full of grass for him. Took him out on our first hack yesterday, first bit of which I took him in hand as the main road has become a lorry run now as he is still young I want to gage him reaction first. All things considering it went very well, we only had one big spook because of some plastic on the floor flapping in the wind. Its really busy round here at this time of year with all the tractors and harvesters etc, so its a big test for him

Then today we worked in the field over trotting poles, firstly I changed the attachment on his bit to one hole lower so he only has one fold in his lip. I was recommened to do this by a dentist but my YO and instructor was against it. Consequently have massive problems with him running with the pressure from the bit. Today he worked so nicely and was so much more respondent. I also started teaching the one rein stop, which he took to like a natural. Sometimes I wonder why I listein to my YO, at the mo I am saving to build him a box at mine as its only a 30 minute hack from here so could still have lessons.

A useless post really, but one of those where you just want to say, why didn't I just trust my instincts and not listein to someone else!!!

Also attaching a little vid of horse and dog together, this is after they had been playing together, which I stopped as worried horse would kick by accident and could be fatal to the dog. But they were so funny together the horse was licking the dog and then they were running around the field together. Shame I didn't have a camera for that one!!

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/quartz85/horse and dog/?action=view&current=P1070379.mp4

nikCscott

Visit site
Sweet video- my horse sucks my dogs ears! :eek:

Alway trust you instincts! Stable at home will be great- we are saving to move somewhere for the boys to come home x

Quartz

Visit site
Its so sweet how the horse and dog are together. Horse will come over without fail if I have the dog with me. He even squeaked the dogs ball the other day!! I did worry he would try and eat it though!!! hhahaaaha.

Funny though he doesn't like dogs with people when we are out hacking, but I often think its more the people he doesn't like as they are trying to be helpful, but infact freak him out, by shouting and running after their dogs and then bending down to hold them. The bending down is the worst, it really worries him!!!

Spook

Visit site
Good that they are getting on....

When did a horse ever kick by accident? They do it intentionally do'nt they?

Quartz

Visit site
Sweet video- my horse sucks my dogs ears! :eek:

Alway trust you instincts! Stable at home will be great- we are saving to move somewhere for the boys to come home x

Thats funny that he sucks your dogs ears!!

It makes a huge difference to my horses personality when he is home, he is so much calmer, or maybe its me thats calmer!!

Also its so much quicker not having to travel to them, even if its only 10 mins in my case. Here I just pop out my back door, catch him in 2 seconds, tacked up and off. I have so much more free time already!!

Quartz

Visit site
Good that they are getting on....

When did a horse ever kick by accident? They do it intentionally do'nt they?

I don't mean kick in an agressive way. When they were running around, horse was doing what I can only describe as bunny hops, he was so excited and so was dog I just thought the dog is so daft he will probably run under horse while he is jumping and then splat!!!! Or horse will do kick then fart and run off, which again if dog was behind him would end badly.

indie999

Visit site
Thats really funny a bouncing dog..your horse is very good considering the dog is doing mid air turns.

great video too..made me giggle

Quartz

Visit site
Thats really funny a bouncing dog..your horse is very good considering the dog is doing mid air turns.

great video too..made me giggle

Yeah, he's my little circus dog!! In long grass he looks like a leaping salmon, not that you often find salmon leaping in grass but you get what I mean!!