Horse behaving oddly....

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Would you consider getting a little companion for him?

Unfortunately there is no room at the yard (no spare stables) and the grazing is only enough for him really, not two. I would also be worried he would get super attached to one other which would cause a whole host of other issues

indie1282

Visit site
Tbh the turnout isn't the main issue here for me. It sounds like you had a nice routine going and he had settled?

I would be querying why my horses behaviour has changed so much after my friend had been looking after him. I know she is a friend but is she handling him differently to you? I dont mean that she has been bad to him but how does she handle her own horse? Is she firm? In a rush more than you? Less patient or just more workmanlike than you?

If he is a very sensitive horse then this could be enough to set him off.

rowan666

Visit site
How well do you know your friend? One time I worked with a horse whose behaviour changed when a new member of staff arrived. I reported it to the stable manager, but they gave a few reasons why they thought it could be. Years later, after CCTV was installed, we found that the member of staff was more than rough with the horses. Poor horse had told me, but as the girl looked pleasant and was knowledgeable, I didn't pay enough attention to my own eyes.
This is exactly what I had in mind reading the OP, to me it seems to scream that someone has been mishandling him, not necessarily the friend but I wonder if anybody else has access to the yard? I'm sure there was a similar thread a few years ago and it turned out one of the other liveries had taken it upon themselves to start riding their horse

Lois Lame

Visit site
... He was quite anxious when I got him i.e. he would think he was getting a beating if you walked fast around him or if you tapped him accidentally with a broom whilst sweeping and especially being turned out.

I missed this on first reading. I also was worried about your friend but am not anymore.

... due to lockdown the yard said we could only visit once a day so a friend would turn him out for me and I would go up after work and do my jobs. All fine for the past 5 weeks. Turn to Saturday and we have been told we can do twice a day so I went up Saturday morning and J was acting odd in his stable. When I went in he turned his back to me and hid his face in the corner. Now he would do this in winter if I brushed mud off his face as he didnt like it but I hadnt even touched him. I only wanted to put his headcollar on but he was acting very weird (not nervous just he didnt want me to touch him).

Have you asked your friend (who is now not a suspect in mistreating him :oops:) if she's noticed anything different in your fellow's behaviour? He sounds like a lovely horse and it's a pity he's not happy at the moment.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thanks all. No-one would ride him, we are a very small yard, we have CCTV and honestly no-one would take it upon themselves to ride or do anything with him if I didn't ask them too. My friend is definitely not a "suspect" in anything.

I wonder if he got hot as he is a fluffy (although summer coat is coming through nicely) dark bay cob who has no shade and the temperatures have been getting up to 22/23 degrees.

He seemed much more himself this morning but I just kind of carried on doing my jobs and didn't really stop to pander to him I guess and he seemed to be more interested in getting me to notice him and didn't "hide in the corner".

I've sectioned his field off as he came in with 2 massive bites on his face from horses next door (not our yard) so he has been "playing" with them, I've sectioned the field so he cant touch them but can still interact with the 2 other horses from our yard. Plus I'm sure the grass will come shooting up and cause some further fun.

Thankfully saddler is coming out next week now and we will be working with social distancing (only us on the yard etc.)

Thanks all for your suggestions :)

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Unfortunately saddler isn't coming out now so I have no idea what to do with him.

He is slightly less subdued today but still unhappy and doesn't want me near him.

Flamenco

Visit site
It sounds like there are two seperate issues. The first is likely to be that your horse prefers being in a herd to individual turnout.

The others sound like there may be a magnesium imbalance caused by spring grass. If you google Gotcha Equine and look at their health checklist you'll see a comprehensive list. It includes being over sensitive to touch, saddle fitting issues, being spooky, seperation anxiety and random bolting, plus loads more.

You can buy magnesium oxide cheaply on ebay. Start with a tablespoon a day for a week, and increase this gradually until all the issues go or your horse gets runny poo, then go back to previous dose. Now is the peak time for issues with spring grass. It might also be worth trying Brewers Yeast to support digestion. You'll see a dramatic difference in a week if this is the issue.

My horse was anxious, explosively spooked, hated being touched or groomed, bolted when being led, wouldn't turn out on his own and we couldn't get a saddle to fit. The magnesium solved all these issue and they come back when I try to reduce the dose, so its definitely worth a try!