horse being a spooky tw*t!

Serephin

Visit site
My usually sensible confidence giving cob has turned into a spooky idiot and I have no idea why!! Has anyone else got a sppoky tw*t for a horse at the moment??

I am wondering if it is the grass, as I think the plants think it is spring again at the moment - or it could be that he has come in at night now, although I didn't have any of this behaviour last year. I am at a loss. And being a nervous rider myself. it is no help us both being idiots!!

He was nappy today, but I got him past it, he did get a bit annoyed that he wasn't getting his own way, but that just results in him humping his back a bit, but I told him off and he did as I asked, but he felt huge all the way around and spooked again at some pheasants which he knew were there. So today's ride was a very short one. I am trying to hang onto the knowledge that I delt with the situation and he did do as he was asked in the end. But its not good for my nerves.

I want my sensible horse back!

ISHmad

Visit site
The autumn flush of grass I think as the weather is still so unseasonably mild. My saint of a horse is full of it at the moment too, completely out of character. Roll on a return to horses being sensible for you and me by the sounds of it OP!

AimsB

New User
Visit site
Hi Serephin,

Has anything changed in your horses' routine recently, such as diet, amount of exercise or turnout? For example, our horses are being brought in earlier due to daylight saving time, and my mare is definitely more agitated than usual.
If there has been no change to your horse's routine, it might have something to do with your own frame of mind, for example, are you under a lot of work stress or similar? It is amazing how horses pick up on even slight mood changes in their rider! As soon as you tense up in anticipation of him spooking, he'll pick up on that and respond accordingly - in his mind, if his rider senses danger, then there must be danger out in the bushes somewhere.... Have you got someone you could walk out with you? Just knowing that someone is there on foot will allow you to relax and give him the confidence he needs.

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
Yup, mine are all feeling a bit full of themselves at the moment, but I'm sure it will pass! In fact, as I write, my big lad is chasing the chickens round the field....;) Even our old pony has been having a canter round (a trot is normally quite fast enough!!)

Serephin

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like I am not alone! Routine has changed in as much as he is now coming in at night.

We were nanny horse to a 4 year old x-racer as my boy has the reputation of being the steady reliable horse on the yard, he span both times we went out! A bit embarassing as we were supposed to be setting an example! lol

I went out to poo pick and he followed me down the field, I turned and we chased each other around for a bit, bucking and farting (him, not me!) it was hilarious, so he is definitely full of beans!

Hopefully it will wear off soon!

Serephin

Visit site
Hi,

I have a Welsh x and he is so spooky this time of the year! Who said cobs are sensible!
I have found lungeing before riding really helped take the edge off of him as well as hacking with a sensible friend.
There is also a fab new ridden download on the iRide site www.equiwebuk.com on Spook Busting by Alison Short and its got some really useful tips in it. It is based in the school but works on getting better aid reactions so you could practice in the school first and then put it into practice when you need it? Just an idea.
Let me know if you find it useful......hang on in there!

Oooh thank you, I shall check that out...

badgerdog

Visit site
I'm relieved it's not just me that's having this problem! My horse has been very alert and spooky for the past few weeks and I've put it down to the grass. He lives out and the grass is so good that he's put on weight in the last two months. His poo is very green which I'm sure is due to be the unseasonably mild weather, it just keeps on growing.

Tammytoo

Visit site
I had a "thrilling" ride yesterday on a normally very placid tb (yes, you do get them!) She grew in size and felt like riding a concrete barrel, she was a bit better today but only because I took her round a very boring familiar ride with a two wheeled "horse" for company. It must be the weather as I've seen loads of posts about this problem at the moment on other forums.