Horse being PTS question

gable

Visit site
I feel really bad asking this question, but I'm trying to think practically now instead of blubbering all the time.

My old boy will be PTS when the weather turns - lets hope for a long hot summer.
But I haven't even thought about the cost, cremation etc.

Does the insurance pay for PTS or me.

This sounds really hard and callous but its not meant to. I'm not bothered how much it costs as long as its quick and peaceful, but of course I do have to budget for it.

gable

Visit site
He is on bute - he has severe DJD in both front pasterns
He did not have a good winter last year - I'm not putting him through it again this year - the vet supports my decision

magichorse

Visit site
My mare was pts a couple of years back after she broke her leg in the field. Vet call out and pts was I think about £100 but it was a Sunday night so emergency rates applied. I had her cremated which was about £350, which included everything- them coming to get her, cremation and having her ashes back in a lovely box with a brass plaque on it. The cremation people were lovely and whilst such a difficult day, they made it as 'easy' as it could be.

Please don't feel bad for thinking about it- needs must. Not sure about insurance paying as my mare was 33 so not insured.

flowerlady

Visit site
He is on bute - he has severe DJD in both front pasterns
He did not have a good winter last year - I'm not putting him through it again this year - the vet supports my decision

Sorry to say this but if he i in pain?? why not do it now? When I had my lad pts by injection it was about £350 that included the vet, injection and the people who came and fetched him to cremate. Did not have ashes back as I was so distraught when he went it didn't cross my mind till the day after and it was too late:(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
to pts is around 80 - 90 pounds by injection individual cremation is around 500 maybe a little more that includes a wooden casket and brass plaque

vet normally organizes the pick up etc

you have to pay the cremation

crem were very sympathetic and a nice card sent to me

one thing I would advise as first time for me i couldnt think what to put on casket

so

choose the wording as you will be to upset to think when time comes

I wanted to inspect the pick up truck on both my two
as one pony ( not mine) was picked up put on the back of a truck which already had two dead cows in it and was covered in blood( this was not the two companies i have mentioned)

so i said to hubby when he said go in common now while they pull her in i said NO i want to see the truck is clean before i let her go in '

cant remember who did biscuit tho they were they were in cheltnam

bonnie was done by www.equinebereavementservices.co.uk/

did hers but there are others

http://www.equineandpetservices.co.uk/

http://www.cpccares.com/

i have both Bonnie and Biscuit ashes I am keeping them as when i go i want us all together in one place I like to know that they are still with me

Last edited:

stella65

Visit site
dont feel bad about asking questions your better off being prepared than not and questions just ask as for the question about insurance i am not sure about them paying for this its possible as he has an underlying problem have a read of your contract not sure who your with as they are all different its not an easy thing to do i always find on the day i can keep the tears back ( so as not to upset the animal in question ) then after have a good cry ;)

AndiK

Visit site
dont feel bad about asking questions your better off being prepared than not and questions just ask as for the question about insurance i am not sure about them paying for this its possible as he has an underlying problem have a read of your contract not sure who your with as they are all different its not an easy thing to do i always find on the day i can keep the tears back ( so as not to upset the animal in question ) then after have a good cry ;)

I agree with this ^

I think that if you get yourself all prepared for when the time comes it will make life a little easier for you and less stressful for your boy.

I am really sorry for you, I have a friend in the same situation, she said to me the other day that she would be making the decision before the winter comes as he did not winter well this last time and she does not think he will make it through another winter :(

darkhorse123

Visit site
I cant offer you any advice as ive never been in this position - just wanted to send great bug cyber hugs to you - so so sorry, you sound like a wonderful mum xxx

hellspells

Visit site
Please don't feel the need to justify the timing of this. I understand and have made the same choice for the same reasons in the past.

Normally it will be up to you to pay for everything if it's not a accident. I can't help with costs as I don't live in England though.

gable

Visit site
There's a leaflet that you can download at the bottom of this page, which explains exactly what to expect to happen (so you can prepare yourself) and gives some approximate costs for various disposal options. You might already know some of it, but thought you might find it helpful?

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/information/just_in_case

Thank you - that was very kind of you
I'm not coping very well so trying to organise everything now as nearer the time I will be even more of a mess

darkhorse123

Visit site
Sorry to say this but if he i in pain?? why not do it now? When I had my lad pts by injection it was about £350 that included the vet, injection and the people who came and fetched him to cremate. Did not have ashes back as I was so distraught when he went it didn't cross my mind till the day after and it was too late:(

unbelievable - does she sound like a lady who is letting her horse suffer - no!!!!
She is giving him his last summer pain free which she quite clearly stated - no need for those questions!!!! :mad:

gable

Visit site
unbelievable - does she sound like a lady who is letting her horse suffer - no!!!!
She is giving him his last summer pain free which she quite clearly stated - no need for those questions!!!! :mad:

Thank you - I found that quite distressing and not what I expected when I was asking for help

flowerpower

New User
Visit site
My horse broke his leg in his field last October on a Sunday. It cost roughly between £600 and £675, this was him being put to sleep by injection and his removal by a proper removal service. I didnt have his ashes back as that was an etc £500. It's a tough decision to make...i really feel for you. xx

stella65

Visit site
sorry but that was really not called for :mad: poor gable is going through enough as it is and to me sounds like he /she is doing the best for her horse as she /he has already explained in winter he does not cope well which is why she is having horse pts before winter comes so he does not suffer gable enjoy the summer with him and hope it is along one too ;)

darkhorse123

Visit site
sorry but that was really not called for :mad: poor gable is going through enough as it is and to me sounds like he /she is doing the best for her horse as she /he has already explained in winter he does not cope well which is why she is having horse pts before winter comes so he does not suffer gable enjoy the summer with him and hope it is along one too ;)

agreed and i think she is doing it beautifully x

LaurenM

Visit site
Insurance have told me that they'd only cover mine if they met the beva guidelines I.e. need to be put down then and there. Doubt you'd have loss of use on your policy if he's retired.

Total vet cost including call out for me is £200. Had a quote for £438 (includes Vat) for collection and group cremation for a 14.2 hh horse. Other companies quote £250 for collection and disposal.

gable

Visit site
Thank you for your kind replies

I have decided I don't want his ashes back - I don't deal with grief very well. I suppose I am happier with just his memories. We have had a fabulous 9 years hunting and he has never put a foot wrong.
To me when he is gone, he is gone and I need to move on. Its this bit I'm finding hard, but he always had the summer off after hunting so he will have this one off too.

He isn't going to the hunt - his face is to pretty to be shot.
Again something I have had the time to think about.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
i hope he has a lovely summer, you will know when the time is right. i dont know what area you are in but equineberevement services based in towcester northants are very good. Mick is lovely with them. he can put down and take away for £250 i think, but uses a gun, or you can get vet to do the deed and he will collect. you have several choices with them re cremation and ashes. Much easier to make choices with a sensible head on, and at least not be rushed into who is doing what. Hope you and your horse have a nice summer together.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
well if you ever want a portrait in pastels my friend is ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmaazing if you look on her web diamond and biscuit are there biscuit was my first ever mare love her for ever have her ashes

she could take nice pictures now while he looks good in summer coat and then work the portrait when your ready even if not for a year\ take a look at her site you can have it on the wall to always remember him by

http://www.petportraits.freeserve.co.uk/

she has done many for me here is the recent one she did bonnie i lost to colic 3 years ago the grey pony
tho its is taken through the glass but its done in pastile

I have also had a tattoo of biscuit and diamond so we always be together

Last edited:

Tickles

Visit site
Your insurance will probably only pay of it is medically necessary, i.e. deemed to be in your horse's interests for welfare. It may be worth checking both your policy and what your vet is prepared to do on your behalf... Your insurance isn't the best way to decide of course but you might want to consider what someone objective (as in no attachment to any particular horse and not on a personal circumstance) has decided to be in horse's best interests.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
There have been 3 oldies PTS in as many months at the yard I'm at. 2 of them took sections of their tail as had the prettiest bracelets made from their plaited hair.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, insurance will not pay for PTS.

Personally I never can understand this seemingly very common idea of giving a horse one last summer. If a horse needs to be PTS for humane reasons then the decision should be made at this time. What do you do if your horse is having a really good day on the day you have planned? Why not wait until he has a bad day and take the decision then? It may be tomorrow. It may be in five years. But I personally could not have a happy horse PTS. If your horse is suffering do it now. If not wait until he has had enough and then do it. Sorry to be blunt but I just don't understand this PTS at the end of the summer.

babymare

Visit site
sweetheart do not feel bad at asking - you are being very sensible thinking and understanding . I have already decided the timing the place and everything for my mare and its not imminient yet BUT also do not feel you have to justify your timing and certainly do not feel in way bad in how you are doing this . you have discussed with your vet, your horse is pain free and I think you are being a loving mum to allow that last summer for your loved horse. there are no words that will make the day - for want of better words -"better" nothing anyone can say other than remember the love and kindness you are showing your loved horse at this time many would not be able to face. Cry your tears and allow your self to grieve how ever long that takes and slowly you will remeber the good times and smile. Also rememeber that there are a lot of good people on here to support you, offer you thier shoulder and most of all understand. Go and savour every moment you can with your horse - my thoughts are with you - youre very very brave hun xxxxx