Horse Bending in the Incorrect Direction When Schooled- Help

JessPickle

Visit site
Pickle is generally not the most forward going of horses, but i've never had huge problems with this, just means you have to put more work into lots of transitions and varying his work.

However now he has started a new habit, whichever rein he is on his head turns in the opposite direction, its driving me mad. Carrot stretches show he is very flexible both ways. Whatever I do I am really struggling to have him look round corners and stay straight on the long sides. When I try and correct him he overbends in the opposite direction. He does this with my sister as well!

So any ideas on schooling exercises I could try, I have tried leg yielding with him, unfortunetly he isn't exactly a top schooled horse and at 18 its hard to convince him of a new way of doing things!

Ideas very much welcome!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I would suggest spiralling on both reins. Go on a 20metre circle and spiral in. Lots of inside leg to outside hand and spiral back out again. I found it a very useful exercise.:) Don't expect miracles, incorporate it into your schooling and hopefully he will get the idea!:)

sea_view

Visit site
Agree with the spiralling circle, also open out your inside hand and reduce this as he bends in the correct direction, gives him an indication this is the place to be.

eggs

Visit site
Agree with above.

Open your inside hand by moving it away from your horse's neck but don't try and pull his head to the inside. Make sure you use plenty of inside leg.

Find a good instructor who can see what is going on and give you good instructions for correcting it.

It doesn't sound as though this will be too difficult to correct.