Horse books from childhood...

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Can you remember any horse related fiction books you read when you were young - I used to read loads (FLicka etc.) but I can't recall the actual names of some of them and would like to see if I could track some down for my daughter to read.

Stab in the dark I know but if anyone can remember Titles that'd be great!!

x

Mellymoo1

Visit site
I used to love the Jill stories by Ruby Ferguson! Theres about 9 or 10 of them - I have been known to read them as an adult and still thoroughly enjoyed them!!

hussar

Visit site
Can't remember any titles but I do remember enjoying the books by the Pullein-Thompson sisters - Christine and Josephine. If you google them you should come up with some titles.

I also loved a book called 'We Couldn't Leave Dinah', all about a family being evacuated from war-time Guernsey (I think) and having to leave a beloved pony behind.

TGM

Visit site
The Jinny and Shantih series by Patricia Leitch
The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley
The Romney Marsh series by Monica Edwards
Follyfoot series by Monica Dickens

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Oh I remember all those - they were such great books!

I'm gooing to have such fun with them - ahem - they're for my daughter really (honest!
blush.gif
)

Car boot sales would be a good idea but not sure if I have the patience to look for them - so good old amazon it is!

Thanks guys

smile.gif

ClareMc

Visit site
Does anyone remember books by Pat Smyth?

I can't remember the titles and have never seen them again but they were my favourites. My Mum threw all my books and model horses out when I left home (they had sat in the loft for about 8 years before that.) But I still have'nt fully forgiven her.

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Ah I collected Breyer horses and have goven them to daughter now. She is explanding the collection - it's a lot easier to buy them in this country now so she's planned which ones she wants next!! They even do horse lorry and barns now.

Gosh Im getting far too carried away here.

miss_bird

Visit site
Wow i so used to love the jill books, the black stallion and the jinny books. I am flying to England tomorrow will have to see where my mum has stored them all and have a quick read again, they were such great books. Thanks for reminding me

red marksman

Visit site
That has brought back some memories! Read all the above mentioned books most of them over and over again. (not saddle club- that was a bit after my time!) I'd completely forgotten about the Silver Brumby books- thats a blast from the past!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Oh i read the jill books, jinny, all the pullen thompson books. But my fave was "fly by night' about a girl who bought a youngster pony from a farmer and kept it in her back garden. I'd love to read that again!

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But my fave was "fly by night' about a girl who bought a youngster pony from a farmer and kept it in her back garden.

[/ QUOTE ] That was by K M Peyton - she has written some great books - the most famous being the Flambards series.

horsegirl

Visit site
I have just read Cross country pony again, as I dug it out for my daughter to read. I loved the black stallion books and the phantom horse series too, well really any horse books!

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I loved 'Wish for a Pony' by Monica Edwards.

[/ QUOTE ] My 10yo daughter has just read that - she enjoyed it immensely but did complain about the Sussex seamen using 'chav language'!

[ QUOTE ]
I also remember the title of one called 'Silver Snaffles', and I can remember it had lovely illustrations but cannot remember the story!

[/ QUOTE ] That was by Primrose Cummings and is now highly collectable.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone remember books by Pat Smyth?

I can't remember the titles and have never seen them again but they were my favourites. My Mum threw all my books and model horses out when I left home (they had sat in the loft for about 8 years before that.) But I still have'nt fully forgiven her.

[/ QUOTE ]

She wrote a couple of autobiographies....Jump for Joy was one of them
smile.gif

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
god, we've got loads at my mums, both hers and my grannys, moorland mousie, silver snaffles, LOADS of 'jill' & pullen thompson books, a hysterical one written by the queen mums sister (i think thats right) all about how to look after your pony before & after hunting, with all the text in handwritting rather than type, some fantasic books, my favorite was Rosina Copper, about a polo pony, time to hunt some out & reread them!!

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I have all the "Jill" books, and a few of the "Jinny" ones. I had some of the "Silver Brumby" ones, but I never really got into that series... I remember reading "Fly By Night" - can't remember if I have the book tho' I'm sure there was a sequel to it too...

I had a compilation of pony stories that had a really scary ghost story by one of the Pullien-Thomsons [sp?]

*checks bookcase*

Oh I still have it! :-D

Jiffy

photobucket.com
Not fiction books and written before I was born, but I do have copies of The Young Rider (Ponies for Health & Pleasure) and The Young Rider's Picture Book by Golden Gorse published in 1928 and 1936.

I love leafing through the old photo's in those.
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
Ponies and Children by Audrey Blewitt is a gem as well. Lovely down-to-earth book with money-saving tips (like replacing lost rubber bands from safety stirrups with bits of cut up inner tube!)