Horse breathing fast, bucking, looking at stomach

Pippity

Visit site
I went up to ride Blue on Tuesday, and she was acting odd - breathing fast and heavy, flared nostrils, stress lines on her muzzle. I'd have been worried about colic except she was definitely pooing well and had plenty of gut noises! I opted not to ride because she just seemed so out of sorts, but did spend a few hours loitering just in case I was wrong about the colic.

Yesterday, she was the same. I had a lesson, so pushed on and rode her anyway. She was fine at first - perhaps a bit more energetic than usual. However, she started to object to me putting my leg on. First just by tossing her head around, but then she threw in a proper buck - front end up, then back end, not just a little fly buck. She was happy to trot from voice aids and only objected when I put my leg on. She also started looking at her stomach. (I stopped the lesson at this point, because it's extremely out of character for her. She naps by ignoring all your aids and going where she wants to go, not by bucking and waving her head around.) Again, plenty of poo, plenty of gut noises, and eating happily.

She was scoped for ulcers last year and apparently had one of the cleanest stomachs the vet had ever seen. I suppose it's possible she's developed ulcers in the past year, but she's had no real stress factors.

The only changes are that I stopped soaking her hay a couple of weeks ago because she was getting a bit lethargic and her weight's fine at the moment. Also, she was wormed (Equest) and moved to a (very wet) winter field last week. I haven't changed her hard feed at all but about a month ago, she started to be a lot more enthusiastic about eating it. She used to finish her hay and then reluctantly eat her hard feed, but now does it the other way round. (Handful of Dengie Healthy Hooves, micronised linseed, Pro Hoof, mint.)

I've got the vet coming out this afternoon, but she didn't seem to have many idea on the phone about what could be causing it.

deb_l222

Visit site
Colic is just another term for belly ache and there's a million different types of belly ache horses can get. Glad you're getting the vet because it could be nothing or it could be serious.

Just to advise, the day my mare died (from colic) she was pooing perfectly normally but it was very obvious, like with yours, that she wasn't comfortable so the vet was called immediately. You say only two things have changed but worming and moving fields are both enough to make a horse colic.

Hope you get sorted.

SEL

Visit site
I wormed a little cob with Equest Pramox a few years ago who spent the next 3 days being a bit sweaty and a bit uncomfortable. Vet put it down to a likely worm burden being shifted - I gave her an entire tube of protexin in the end which seemed to sort it.

Hope you get answers.

Pippity

Visit site
Vet thinks it's probably digestive upset from the field change. Not 'proper' colic but definitely a bit of pain. She's been given bute and buscopan, and her breathing steadied pretty much immediately. I'm waiting for a poo before I head home, though. (She normally has a good old poo the moment she goes into her stable. I think the vet being here disrupted her routine!)

Pippity

Visit site
How is your mare today Pippity? xx

She's having a few days off riding, so difficult to tell for sure but she's certainly producing plenty of poo! I gave her a quick lunge, and she was definitely feeling full of beans - little horror was so bouncy she nearly kicked me in the head! Plan is to take her for a steady hack on Sunday and, if she's okay, a wee schooling session on Monday. If she's okay then, we can pass it off as a bit of a gassy tummy from field change. If she isn't, she's going in to be scoped.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
She's having a few days off riding, so difficult to tell for sure but she's certainly producing plenty of poo! I gave her a quick lunge, and she was definitely feeling full of beans - little horror was so bouncy she nearly kicked me in the head! Plan is to take her for a steady hack on Sunday and, if she's okay, a wee schooling session on Monday. If she's okay then, we can pass it off as a bit of a gassy tummy from field change. If she isn't, she's going in to be scoped.

That's good news. Fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about and she's fine. xx