Horse buying why is it so difficult

Ceifer

Visit site
Sick of horse shopping now and it's only been two weeks. I am trying to buy a really nice allrounder to do some dressage (potential up to elementary but doesn't have to be there now) showjumping 1m possibly to event in the future. My limit would be BE 100. Horse doesn't have to be at that level now. Age 4-10. Gelding preferred but would consider a mare. 15.1- 16.2hh

So far I've viewed/ called about the following.
1. Been for sale for two years not in work. This was not on the advert.
2. Sarcoids. Not on advert
3. Viewed number 3. Was very overpriced for what it had done. Made an offer, owner initially said yes. Then sent me a text saying going to keep it.
4. Sarcoids not on advert
5. Requested video. Not sound behind and cold backed to get on
6. Sold before my viewing.
Numerous others on video that aren't sound.
Is it that hard to find something ? I'm in the southwest. I have a reasonable budget but not the earth (all the ones I like seem to be 18k)

Tangaroo

Visit site
Its horrendous!! Last year i was looking for similar to you and i eventually found him after looking for 6 months. Sadly i lost him due to an accident in February so now i have to start looking again. I havent even rung up about anything yet as struggling to get my head round travelling the country again! They seem to be crazy prices for what they are. I fully understand people put time and work into horses hence their prices but there are very few average, RC allrounders out there. People seem to big them up all the time to say they have 'potential' etc etc! I just want a nice, safe fun horse and dont want to jump the moon or for it to be the next Valegro. Good luck with your search

blitznbobs

Visit site
Sick of horse shopping now and it's only been two weeks. I am trying to buy a really nice allrounder to do some dressage (potential up to elementary but doesn't have to be there now) showjumping 1m possibly to event in the future. My limit would be BE 100. Horse doesn't have to be at that level now. Age 4-10. Gelding preferred but would consider a mare. 15.1- 16.2hh

So far I've viewed/ called about the following.
1. Been for sale for two years not in work. This was not on the advert.
2. Sarcoids. Not on advert
3. Viewed number 3. Was very overpriced for what it had done. Made an offer, owner initially said yes. Then sent me a text saying going to keep it.
4. Sarcoids not on advert
5. Requested video. Not sound behind and cold backed to get on
6. Sold before my viewing.
Numerous others on video that aren't sound.
Is it that hard to find something ? I'm in the southwest. I have a reasonable budget but not the earth (all the ones I like seem to be 18k)

What you want is expensive... if you want it cheaper you need to be prepared to wait or compromise ... 2 weeks is nothing - I searched for my horse for 9 months and then compromised on a 3 year old (was looking for a 6 year old...) if your disparing after 2 weeks then you are going to struggle try a dealer with a few to try or be prepared to travel for anything that fits the bill and be prepared to be disappointed many times before you find him/her

be positive

Visit site
This seems under priced but worth a call as it looks as if it will do the job for you, I am not keen on it's hocks but it seems to move them well enough through the water.

http://www.nfed.co.uk/cgi-bin/class...lay_db_button=on&db_id=140953&query=retrieval

It is worth looking at that site regularly as they often have something nice on there.

Just to add 2 weeks is nothing, many people will be waiting until the end of season/ back to school or uni before putting a nice horse on the market.

Last edited:

PaddyMonty

Visit site
If people have the horse you want then they would tend to keep hold of it leaving the market full of either horses with issues or 'produced horses which carry a hefty price premium.

blitznbobs

Visit site
This seems under priced but worth a call as it looks as if it will do the job for you, I am not keen on it's hocks but it seems to move them well enough through the water.

http://www.nfed.co.uk/cgi-bin/class...lay_db_button=on&db_id=140953&query=retrieval

It is worth looking at that site regularly as they often have something nice on there.

Just to add 2 weeks is nothing, many people will be waiting until the end of season/ back to school or uni before putting a nice horse on the market.

Looks v cheap ... it's almost rude not to call!

ihatework

Visit site
I'm not sure why you are annoyed.
You have been able to discount most from a phonecall or from a video. That is normal. You have viewed one you liked enough to offer on, you knew it's price before you went, the vendor isn't obliged to sell it to you for less.

In the past month I have probably looked in depth at about 60 adverts. I have engaged in conversation in about 15 horses. We have travelled to view 3 specifically (and vetted one) and en route stopped at 2 studs/production yards on the off chance.

It is very time consuming! We need to set 2 weekends aside, one for a UK wide trip and one for an Ireland trip but in the middle of the event season it just isn't likely to happen!

What is your budget and how far will you travel, I'm happy to flag stuff up to you as I trawl!

Irish gal

Visit site
A really nice all-rounder Ceifer is what the majority of buyers want. There has been a big increase in the last six months in horse prices coupled with an increased demand for nice horses.

The majority of horses for the British market come from Ireland where there is a traditional breeding industry. Right now demand is at an all time high for those horses and that's driven up prices. Last week saw one of the biggest sales of the year here, the Goresbridge July performance sale. It was full of foreign buyers and there were a contingent of Americans. Prices soared, the top lot made €18,000 and the seller said he had only expected €10,000! Snapped up by an American.

It's a difficult market in a way right now because the average British buyer is a bit like you - very surprised. Also they have the same budget for a horse yet sterling has lost a huge amount of its value. So their budget is now less then the cost of the horse. I think it will take a period of readjustment until buyers understand that they will simply have to pay more now for the same nice horse.

Don't mean to put a dampener on your search but it's a different market now to six months ago.

ihatework

Visit site
If you look on BE there is a jaguar mail grey mare just listed. Pretty cheap (7.5K) but in the arse end of nowhere!! I've had video through of her and she looks more of a classy amateur allrounder than what she is advertised at, but could be a good buy.

Wheels

Visit site
I sympathise! I travelled 1.5 hours each way on Friday to find horse had been sold the day before, annoying

A 16hh horse who was about 17.2hh and a 16.2 who was about 15hh

Vendors can't seem to answer simple but important questions either

Rollin

Visit site
Our Shagya mare was advertised for sale last autumn after she qualified for the National SJ Championships. I turned away good buyers after she was kicked and off work for 6 weeks. We did not re-advertise her until she returned to SJ and was jumping clear rounds and winning. Her price reflects the care that has gone into her breeding, stable management and professional training. I am happy to declare all cuts, bumps, x-rays etc. Not all vendors are economical with the truth, we are breeders and our reputation counts.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Feeling your pain OP.

I've been looking for eighteen months now, and found nothing.

Found three that broke my heart, two failed vetting, one the seller wanted it to go to a "family home".

Had two on trial: one tanked me and pulled my arms out (hands on reins were raw afterwards!).

Have just seen a real little beauty, EXACTLY what I want and at a Steal-price. Teenaged owner has obviously decided I'm too old as she "wants it to go to somewhere with kids where it can have fun". Yeah right, "fun" for who I wonder, that will be such a shame as I am offering a home for life at my own yard and this pony will probably go to somewhere where it will be outgrown in less than a year. Sassy little cow knows I like it and I suspect is laughing behind my back on the quiet, plus enjoying the sense of holding it over me that she's got something I want ........... :(

scats

Visit site
I feel your pain. I've been horse shopping for a month, have viewed 8, 7 unsuitable (for a variety of reasons from not as described to one bronching with the owner to serious conformation faults that were cleverly hidden in pictures) had one failed vetting, god knows how many enquiries, several arranged to view and then a message to say they've sold etc.

Facebook is a useful tool! I enquired about one and seemed like a potential. Owner gave me her full name so after hanging up I had a quick search on Facebook and found her and some pics of horse. On one picture was a comment off a friend of hers that, "You've done so well with that in the last few months, last time I saw you it wouldn't stop rearing.."
I won't be viewing that one!

debbielinder

Visit site
We are having similar problems. Looking for a 16hh - 16.3 for my auntie currently competing advanced medium 1 of her horses is now 18 the other is off with an injury so shes decided to take the plunge and get another youngster. Not a world beater just a nice horse with good paces, reasonable budget. Looking around the north west area shes not desperate for one so we've only gone to see ones that sound pretty much perfect.

First one described as sane and sensible dont be put of by age, 4 year old wouldn't go in the arena and when she managed to get it in the arena it spooked from one side to the other. So she didn't even get on it as she felt if it was like that at home you'd have a job trying to do a dressage test on it.

Second one was lame when she got there but the girl seemed genuinely surprised so gave it a week went back. Really liked it took away some videos showed them to the vet who said she thought it was unlevel infront.

Third slightly over budget but showed video to vet and trainer who all thought it was lovely went to see it and can only say it had probably spent its life in draw reins as it couldn't / wouldn't bend, turn a circle move any which way around the school apart from around the edge.

fourth was yesturday thought we had cracked it lovely looking horse sweet as anything pulled it out the stable and its two front feet looked like they were from two different horses the man got on it and it wasn't level in walk and when he trotted it there was no bend in its hocks what so ever, this was described as having impressive elastic paces? Another one she didn't bother sitting on.

Back to the drawing board. Aside from buying an unbacked 3 year old that she doesn't want to do there's not much else about at the moment, most want 12/15000 for horses that haven't done anything.

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
Buying is not half as hard as selling though so maybe a bit of thought for the sellers might go down well. Yes there are dishonest ones but the most people the errors are not intentional. The type of horses the majority of people want are like hens teeth and what is "one mans rubbish is another mans treasure" even in horses. I dnt think the modern trend for endless photos and videos is helping much
I very rarely sell anything so this is an observation

onemoretime

Visit site
Its horrendous!! Last year i was looking for similar to you and i eventually found him after looking for 6 months. Sadly i lost him due to an accident in February so now i have to start looking again. I havent even rung up about anything yet as struggling to get my head round travelling the country again! They seem to be crazy prices for what they are. I fully understand people put time and work into horses hence their prices but there are very few average, RC allrounders out there. People seem to big them up all the time to say they have 'potential' etc etc! I just want a nice, safe fun horse and dont want to jump the moon or for it to be the next Valegro. Good luck with your search
. so sorry to hear about your loss. that happened to me a couple of years ago, we bought a horse in March 13 and lost him in August 14. Good horses are so hard to find and it was such a tragic loss. I hope you have success in finding a suitable horse for yourself.

alainax

Visit site
Feeling your pain OP.

Found three that broke my heart, two failed vetting, one the seller wanted it to go to a "family home".

Had two on trial: one tanked me and pulled my arms out (hands on reins were raw afterwards!).

Have just seen a real little beauty, EXACTLY what I want and at a Steal-price. Teenaged owner has obviously decided I'm too old as she "wants it to go to somewhere with kids where it can have fun". Yeah right, "fun" for who I wonder, that will be such a shame as I am offering a home for life at my own yard and this pony will probably go to somewhere where it will be outgrown in less than a year. Sassy little cow knows I like it and I suspect is laughing behind my back on the quiet, plus enjoying the sense of holding it over me that she's got something I want ........... :(

If she is a young teenager can you circumvent her and speak to her parents? Chances are they are paying for it!

Or, say " perfect! The horse will be perfect for my step daughter" ( if you are too young to have a older daughter.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If she is a young teenager can you circumvent her and speak to her parents? Chances are they are paying for it!

Or, say " perfect! The horse will be perfect for my step daughter" ( if you are too young to have a older daughter.

Yeah...... you know what, I'm SOOO tempted to lie in the future to get my dream horse, as there are so many sellers out there who have this notion that the horse "has to go to a family home where it will be doing this that and the other". Which means that it'll very likely be outgrown or out-abilitied in say two years, and/or got thoroughly sick and stale of having kids bouncing around on its back (if a pony size), and then sold on to the next lot. Whereas I'm a mature rider, with my own yard, who can offer a Forever home. I don't compete, but I'd do a bit of TREC, pleasure rides, quiet hunting, and that sort of stuff. But does the horse actually CARE what it does? Nope! Horses need to be happy and settled in a herd and properly looked after, TLC optional! But I've had two sellers now turn up their noses at me simply because I don't go out and compete the horse to death and don't have kids to bounce around on the poor pony's back!! I'm just offering a lovely home basically!

I despair, I really do. Next time I see anything which fits the bill for me and I even remotely suspect they want a "family home" then by heck I'm gonna lie through my teeth and say Oh Yes I've got lots of nephews and nieces/godchildren, whatever, who want to ride and do stuff.......

little_critter

Visit site
Horsemart ref HM728D505?
I'm looking in the same area but want something that is a sensible RC allrounder. Just called about this one and it sounds nice but a bit too much of a step up for me.

WelshD

Visit site
I was looking recently for a friend, saw an excellent horse at the right price but our YO did some stalking of the owners facebook page which revealed it had a dirty stop - Facebook is a great source of background info!

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Feeling your pain OP.

Having worked at a few riding schools and witnessed how children in general treat their ponies (there are a rare few who are great with ponies) I resolved never to sell any of my horses to a child. Anyway. I had a lovely 14.2hh cob on loan for a year. He was sweet but sharp, prone to the occasional barge and panic attack as well as terrified of poles and long lines (i.e. anything touching his hind legs). Lovely on the ground however and not bad to ride (unless he saw a pole - even outside of the school the presence of a pole terrified him). Spent months working him with quietly on the ground and under saddle to try and teach him poles were OK... Failed. He'd calm down eventually then the next time you'd school him he'd be right back to where you'd started. He never learned. He was always afraid. Anyway I had him out at a few dressage classes and Le Trec training clinics and despite a few injuries to myself and my sharer (mainly caused by him trying to avoid poles!) he was a much loved member of the family. Everything my main horse got this little fella got too. Anyway after the winter during which the wee one was very carefully managed to avoid mud rash and loss of condition (which he'd suffered the previous winter) the owner suddenly decided to take him back and sell him. To a little girl. Who has never had a pony before (with non horsey parents) and who will apparently 'love him forever'. Yeah maybe she will love him... until she realises he is terrified of jumping poles and generally very anxious about life. Who will not understand or do anything about it when he is stressing, losing condition or his back is hurting (he also had a very tight back which meant regular sessions with the chiro and saddle fitter - oh and meant not riding him if his back was sore). Bottom line is if I was selling I'd be looking for an experienced adult who can offer a home for life!!

Ceriann

Visit site
You are in a very competitive market. Bought mine in April and was looking for something similar - though jumping ability wasn't on my wish list. I was very honest with owners - perhaps overplayed my lack of confidence etc. I did get one tell me that their horse wasn't suitable but I also got the undisclosed sarcoid, a horse sold 5 mins before I got there (after travelling two hours and being told 30 mins in advance that all ok) and I trawled through more ads, videos, emails, texts and calls of unsuitable options than I care to mention. I did find the one though - she is everything I wanted and a bit more and the only criteria I had to compromise on was price!

honetpot

Visit site
Feeling your pain OP.

I would be crafty and send a friends daughter in to act a bit star struck. Sometimes they want an owner that is the same as them and tell them how wonderful they are.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I've come to the conclusion there are 2 types of horse buyers. There are those who buy and are doing it as a job. For these people buying is easy. They buy large numbers of horses, and may or may not have the skill to make something of the 'duds' and are either honest or dishonest about how they sell and may or may not keep the good ones if they want to compete etc.

Then there are those looking for their best friend, or competition horse/ best friend where the horse is going to be one of one or two horses, who they have no intention of selling from the day they bought it... these people should be prepared to wait a long time. They should be fussy about every detail. They will need a bigger budget than the other group because the selling part is not an easy option for these people. They need to get it right first time, so the risk is much bigger than those in the first group and therefore more consideration should be taken.

Amicus

Visit site
Yeah...... you know what, I'm SOOO tempted to lie in the future to get my dream horse, as there are so many sellers out there who have this notion that the horse "has to go to a family home where it will be doing this that and the other". Which means that it'll very likely be outgrown or out-abilitied in say two years, and/or got thoroughly sick and stale of having kids bouncing around on its back (if a pony size), and then sold on to the next lot. Whereas I'm a mature rider, with my own yard, who can offer a Forever home. I don't compete, but I'd do a bit of TREC, pleasure rides, quiet hunting, and that sort of stuff. But does the horse actually CARE what it does? Nope! Horses need to be happy and settled in a herd and properly looked after, TLC optional! But I've had two sellers now turn up their noses at me simply because I don't go out and compete the horse to death and don't have kids to bounce around on the poor pony's back!! I'm just offering a lovely home basically!

The only other perspective I can offer is that when I was selling ponies I'd owned as a teenager (some years ago) I initially attempted to find adult homes for them with the idea they'd get a home like you sound like (ie perfect) but found that most adults who viewed them and the 2 who had a trial while lovely lost their nerve with my straight forward but perhaps slightly busy 14.2s.
They both found homes with preteens in the end who while were less experience found the odd spoke amusing rather than unnerving and had good parental back up for ensuring saddle fit, not kept alone etc. I'm not saying you would fall into this bracket but this might be a more logical although perhaps unfounded reason for thinking a teen home might be better.

Batgirl

Visit site
Pennine View Stud have what you describe (Mickey)- though it may be 15hh rather than 15'1? He's not the website yet but he's a cracking horse!

Annagain

Visit site
A friend recently sold a pony for the first time ever. She normally has them for life but had bought a little 11.2 for her grandkids and while she was great on the lead rein, she was just too forward for them off the lead. She needed the space for a replacement so she had to go. She advertised her very honestly as a 2nd pony or companion.

A (very small) lady came to view her (with trailer) saying she was looking for her nephew and only had the trailer as she'd just dropped off his old pony in her new home not too far away. J was suspicious as nephew wasn't there but lady rode her, liked her and offered to take here there and then. J was even more suspicious now but was realistic about pony's chances and there was something she liked about this lady so she let her go.

3 weeks later she had an email full of photos of the pony jumping, doing fun rides, going to the beach and generally having a ball....all with this lady on board. She still insists the nephew exists but that she liked the pony so much he's not getting a look in! J still isn't convinced but would have been far happier selling her to a small adult anyway. She only didn't put it on the ad as she thought she was too small!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Then there are those looking for their best friend, or competition horse/ best friend where the horse is going to be one of one or two horses, who they have no intention of selling from the day they bought it... these people should be prepared to wait a long time. They should be fussy about every detail. They will need a bigger budget than the other group because the selling part is not an easy option for these people. They need to get it right first time, so the risk is much bigger than those in the first group and therefore more consideration should be taken.

I think this is where people are going wrong. Its not hard to buy a horse. Its the being fussy about every detail that means people spend months and thousands of pounds looking at horses. I only ever buy them cheap because that way I dont begrudge fixing issues and doing some educating, whereas the expensive horses people want them to be perfect. Horses arent perfect.

Mine was £500. He rides although he did need schooling as he was very, very green, hes a very experienced driving pony and he literally worships the ground I walk on. That bond thing that people bang on about, we have it. He calls to me and canters over when he sees my car, he never takes his eyes off me and trusts me completely. Hes a proper leg at each corner full up 14.2hh HW, more than big enough for an adult, happily does pony rides for tiny kids, absolutely bombproof in any traffic. He loves work and will give anything a go, even if he thinks we are mad half the time! Hes 10yr old which is exactly the age I was looking for.

He was awful for the first 6 weeks. He wasnt lame but wasnt quite sound, he bit a lot of people and tried to kick a lot more. He was thin, almost certainly ulcery and just very poor and under muscled. But we treated his mites, sorted his back problem out, treated the ulcers, did lots of careful ridden work and treated him kindly but firmly.

Hes now a superstar, and genuinely the best horse I have ever owned. He went reserve champion 6 weeks after I bought him and now hes teaching me to drive :)

Obviously he was an extreme case and might never have come right, but you dont have to take a huge chance like I did. There are lots of diamonds in the rough at the lower end of the market that are overlooked. There are lots of quirks that can be lived with and lots of minor issues that disappear with a bit of work.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Pretty well what I was looking for except I wanted one that had been to a few shows my budget was 20 excepted I to pay 12 to 15 and would have pushed to 25 .
I paid 9 in the end for a low mileage eight yo and he's exactly right for the job he is not perfect I had to forgive him some flaws but then he will have to forgive mine .
But I was getting a bit despondent before I found him .
You just have to keep going at it .