Horse buying why is it so difficult

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Sick of horse shopping now and it's only been two weeks. I am trying to buy a really nice allrounder to do some dressage (potential up to elementary but doesn't have to be there now) showjumping 1m possibly to event in the future. My limit would be BE 100. Horse doesn't have to be at that level now. Age 4-10. Gelding preferred but would consider a mare. 15.1- 16.2hh

Unfortunately you are looking for what the majority of people are wanting. "Nice All rounder" "Dressage potential up to elementary" "Show jumping 1m" "Event in the future to BE100" "I have a reasonable budget but not the earth". "All the ones I like seem to be £18k".

The horse you are wanting & in the age bracket you are wanting will be expensive, don't expect a bargain, sellers know that they can sell these horses all day every day & they know what they are worth. You need to have more patience, 2 weeks of looking is nothing & you may have to either reduce your expectations, compromise on the ability of the horse, age of the horse & up your budget to get the horse you want.

You will see horses out there that you want but you have already said they are £18k or more, so they are out there. Possibly the only way to get the horse you want is to buy a youngster that has a trainable attitude & some potential ability & train the horse yourself. We've done this with the last 3 horses we bought. We couldn't afford a ready made so we trained the ourselves & have had great results. You need to rethink what you need to do. :)

Dubsie

Visit site
Feeling your pain OP.

I've been looking for eighteen months now, and found nothing.

Found three that broke my heart, two failed vetting, one the seller wanted it to go to a "family home".

Had two on trial: one tanked me and pulled my arms out (hands on reins were raw afterwards!).

Have just seen a real little beauty, EXACTLY what I want and at a Steal-price. Teenaged owner has obviously decided I'm too old as she "wants it to go to somewhere with kids where it can have fun". Yeah right, "fun" for who I wonder, that will be such a shame as I am offering a home for life at my own yard and this pony will probably go to somewhere where it will be outgrown in less than a year. Sassy little cow knows I like it and I suspect is laughing behind my back on the quiet, plus enjoying the sense of holding it over me that she's got something I want ........... :(

So enlist a child and parent to go and buy it on your behalf.

stormox

Visit site
I do not think sarcoids have to be disclosed on an advert (vices have to be), but if asked the seller should answer honestly yes or no. Conformation is a matter of opinion so its up to the buyer whether they like the horses looks or not.
Horse prices are definately up on last year and so they should be if you count the cost of breeding and producing a nice all rounder.
2 weeks is no time at all to have been looking IMO.

Flicker

Visit site
You may also want to consider putting your name down with some of the race horse rehoming charities. They do a nice job of retraining ex race horses for a life off the track, and you get the added satisfaction of securing a future for a horse who has worked hard for someone. Many have a loan scheme, so if it doesn't work or the horse can no longer do what the rider wants it to do, they take them back.

SusieT

Visit site
To be honest if you found a horse that is like gold dust (as you have seen evidenced) that ticks you boxes I think you should probabluy have paid the price and enjoyed your new horse - I think the problem is our budgets often don't match what we want!

stormox

Visit site
To be honest if you found a horse that is like gold dust (as you have seen evidenced) that ticks you boxes I think you should probabluy have paid the price and enjoyed your new horse - I think the problem is our budgets often don't match what we want!

This is the truth. It costs A LOT to breed and produce the sort of horse you are looking for. Think of all the schooling, miles on the clock, etc - and thats without breeding costs and keeping it till 4 or 6 years old.
I suspect no. 3 - the perfect one you thought was overpriced and made an offer - they didnt decide to keep it, they got a buyer prepared to pay the asking price.

Laika

Visit site
Currently undergoing this myself but my expectations aren't quite as fancy - I just want something around 14.2 that is a confidence giver. I've seen a lot about, but unfortunately it is a case of trial and error. Even with my expectations it's not the easiest.

You may need to compromise on expectations vs price. Out of interest, what is your budget?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This seems under priced but worth a call as it looks as if it will do the job for you, I am not keen on it's hocks but it seems to move them well enough through the water.

http://www.nfed.co.uk/cgi-bin/class...lay_db_button=on&db_id=140953&query=retrieval

It is worth looking at that site regularly as they often have something nice on there.

Just to add 2 weeks is nothing, many people will be waiting until the end of season/ back to school or uni before putting a nice horse on the market.

Pretty sure I know this one.

blitznbobs

Visit site
This is being sold by an old college friend of mine - can guarantee she would be a genuine seller :) not saying you're implying otherwise mind :)

I wasn't - I'm a bargain hunter ... so would always look at a horse like this... but then my first question on calling about any horse is 'what's wrong with it?' If they say nothing I don't even go to look cos there is something wrong with every horse!

SKW

Visit site
I've been looking for exactly that for 7 months (and previously spent 9 months looking for the last one only to have her arrive lame - a year later we still don't have a diagnosis despite extensive investigation and it turned out the vet who did the vetting was best mates with the dealer). In the last month alone I have been reared with twice, napped with, seen several lame horses, and found out that buyers had lied multiple times, and a few months ago I was bucked off and put myself out of action for several weeks. Today I went for a second viewing on a horse that I loved and said I'd buy subject to vet, but I've now discovered it has a history of sarcoids and I'm not sure what to do. I don't have the time or energy to keep searching!