Horse Camp

RubysGold

Visit site
So, I went on horse camp at the weekend
A very early morning Saturday, (was meant to be 6am, but woke up several times in the night) Got there at 9am, And put tents up, and then met the horse I was riding.
He was called Badger. I tacked him up and we started at 10.30, we started off with a bit of schooling. Badger didnt like me Within 10 mins he sort of reared (not a proper one, if that makes sense) and I lost my stirrups and he threw himself around, thought I was coming off. Toni was fantastic though, talking me through what to do, and he started to work nicely and go round. With the occasional "rear and throw self around strop" Apparently hes used for teaching novices to ride, and when he gets an experienced rider, he doesnt want to do harder work.
Anyway, we then moved onto poles. He felt me tense up :/ And boy did I know about it
He did the trotting poles fine. But when I took him to a small jump (TINY) he refused. Then brought him round again, and he LAUNCHED at it. Then I couldnt get him closer then 3 strides :S He just kept reversing and throwing a strop.
Then I went down the small grid which he jumped. But then took him back to tiny cross pole, he launched, I landed on front of saddle. And just said "sod this I quit" I really tried, I wanted to improve, but just felt like I couldnt ride and I was going to get hurt. And my confidence was slipping away
This is Badger
548587_317348865024862_1202564645_n.jpg

So I told Toni that I couldnt do it, and she said I could ride Kahn. Turned out, when we got there in the morning Id had my eye on a stunning horse.... Turned out that was Kahn
We had Lunch, and then one of the staff called Kim said she'd give me a one to one (which ended up being 3 of us), so she rode him first to show me how he is to ride. And then taught me on him. We jumped a few jumps and did a fair few of the xc jumps Including my first ever ditch
Hes 5yo but so honest, hunts so jumps anything
Kahn.jpg

We then had a break, and then did mounted games. So much fun!!

Next morning, we went on a hack, was fab but I ached a lot after it Kahn was so good
We had lunch and then did pilates. OMG that was hilarious! Rolling around on a ball is great for getting people to relax and laugh along

Then we did a mini competition
We did an equitation, which I rode round thinking I was a s**t rider, and then they gave me a second place rosette :O
Then we did 2 rounds of showjumping, Its a good job Kahn was honest as I made lots of mistakes, and felt like I couldnt ride! I came 2nd place

So a fantastic weekend, and I was sad to see the end of it. Ive gone away thinking I SERIOUSLY need some lessons Im c**p. But I had such fun

rhino

Visit site
Looks like a good weekend in all :) I think you're being a bit critical on yourself though, if you are only used to riding your own beasties then it's not surprising that you took a while to get to grips with new ones. Well done on your two rosettes! :D

Mistatiger

Visit site
Meant to also say that the horses you got o ride look really classy, sounds like you had great fun but Badger sounds like he needs a good talking to!!!lol