Horse Collage questions??

showjumper27

New User
Visit site
Hi I was wondering if you could help me

I am looking to do either a Bsc (or BA) (hons) equine studies, at Bishop Burton or Warwickshire or BA (hons) Equine Business management, at Hartpury and I have a few questions.

1. Which collage is the most highly recognised?
2. Is the Collage team separate to the riding academy if so what levels do the riding teams compete at?
3. Can you use the school horses for the collage teams and are the school horses of a competitive stance of just average school horses. Is there a limit to the level you can compete at with the school horses? Do the teams compete outside the collage?
4. Any comments on the collages themselves.
5. Would you live in or out at any of these collages.
6. What are the lectures like in these collages.
7. What is the riding instruction like, do the SJ/ XC lessons go to a decent height or are they quite basic (a aprox height would be very useful)
8. Are there any other equine collages that provide similar courses

I know thee questions are mostly based on the riding side and this is because I have already researched more into the academic side, but struggled to find information about the actual riding.

please answer as many of the questions as possible but an answer to any would be really useful. Please add any extra information you think would be helpful.

Thank you for your time :)

clydesdale

Visit site
Hi i went to hartpury and loved it it was 2006 when i went mind, the collage horses where all diffenrnt levels had a few of carl hesters retaired horses there that were always fab to ride, i actually had a collage horse on loan and did bsja and BD on him at elementry and medium level :)

LaurenBay

Visit site
I went to Writtle College. The college itself was brilliant, the Equine studies let it down!

I hated it.

Lovely yard, but didn't feel the staff were great. Felt sorry for some of the Horses. There was one teacher there who tried to teach us to saw the Horses mouths!

The stud was nice. The teachers were horrid. We complained about one because he punched one in the head during a lecture. We all got up and walked out.

You can take your own Horse with you, however the DIY at Writtle wasn't great either :p Hartbury looks much much nicer. You can live in or out, depending on how far away you live. I stayed at home and got a minibus everyday.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
:eek:

I was going to comment that a collage was a piece of artwork and that colleges, I thought, needed at least a grasp of the English language.

Then I saw poster at #2 had been to Hartpury college and obviously I am very wrong.:(

*takes off grumpy old cow hat*

Zargon_91

Visit site

I am looking to do either a Bsc (or BA) (hons) equine studies, at Bishop Burton or Warwickshire or BA (hons) Equine Business management, at Hartpury and I have a few questions.

2. Is the Collage team separate to the riding academy if so what levels do the riding teams compete at?
3. Can you use the school horses for the collage teams and are the school horses of a competitive stance of just average school horses. Is there a limit to the level you can compete at with the school horses? Do the teams compete outside the collage?
7. What is the riding instruction like, do the SJ/ XC lessons go to a decent height or are they quite basic (a aprox height would be very useful)

I know thee questions are mostly based on the riding side and this is because I have already researched more into the academic side, but struggled to find information about the actual riding.

please answer as many of the questions as possible but an answer to any would be really useful. Please add any extra information you think would be helpful.

Im at Warwickshire College!
1. Hartpury is the most recognised, but its industrial We are a very personal, competent and friendly college here at Moreton Morrell. Its an amazing experience. What are you wanting to do with youre degree though? Its alot of money and tbh, degree's just in the equine industry are worthless as an employment factor. Im doing sport science because its a great stepping stone to a masters in physiotherapy which is exciting.
2. College teams is for ND students, academy is for the 12 most promising combinations across ND and degree level- it is VERY competitive. There are people on the academy here who have been on young rider teams, ridden BSJA juniors HOYS qualifiers, been under 18 BE national champions etc...
3.You can compete the horses- there are in house affiliated and unaffiliated shows, although many of the horses are older school masters to teach NDs so have a restricted workload outside of lessons.
4. I love this college, the staff are amazing, have real life experience and want to help on a very personal level. We have teaching on the same campus a twice national dressage champion, British international level horse ball player, 3* eventers, individuals responsible for massive research projects including the study that made the weight tape most people use routinely...
5. Live in, and go from there- I lived in my first year, now living locally. Its very social in, but I like the independence of having a house.
6. My lectures are very good, but you are expected to do a significant amount of self directed study, but hey- its a degree.
7. Instruction is very good, but its personal taste, right? And what is a 'decent height?' We have a massive range of horses, some of them will jump 1.20m courses, some of them will take some serious riding to get around 90cm. It depends on their own experience and confidence, and tbh your own riding abilities. Groups are assessed and riding lessons based on these assessments. As a guide, in your first year there are 2 groups- one riding to BHS stage 2/3 standard, the other to BHS stage 3/4. Cross country is obviously dependant on ground, horses and riders.
8.dunno :B

showjumper27

New User
Visit site
Ye, I plan to thanks, but the open days I can attend aren't for a while yet so I was hoping to get some more information about them before I go and visit.

Zargon_91

Visit site
No worries, I second going to see as many as possible though! Bear in mind lots of centres have facebook pages now so you can have a nosy and meet some students before you go :)

clydesdale

Visit site
I am dyslexic sorry!

:eek:

I was going to comment that a collage was a piece of artwork and that colleges, I thought, needed at least a grasp of the English language.

Then I saw poster at #2 had been to Hartpury college and obviously I am very wrong.:(

*takes off grumpy old cow hat*

Zargon_91

Visit site
ok will do :)
would you say degrees in the equine sector are useless even if you want a job within the sector itself? i.e yard manager etc thanks

I think its very, very difficult to convince people that degrees are as good as experience. Having said that you do learn some incredibly valuable things. Id say if you are doing studies, use your placement option to at least form some relationships in the industry. Really with horses its who you know, rather than what you know. If you can find a really good placement, it will be worth every penny. Its not the sort of thing you can do otherwise.

JustKickOn

Visit site

Hartpury by far.
I am at Warks Col, in my final year of studying Equine Business Management. First of all, don't do "Equine Studies", the name in itself sounds worthless. I did EBM as I was interested in business, and thought combining it with an interest I had would be a good idea. Not so, as a lot of people I have spoken to have asked why I've not just done pure business. I ask this myself sometimes.... Although saying that, I am rather good at networking, and have built up a lot of very good contacts who I can use to get myself into places, or help get me to where I want to be.
Have a look at some stuff that isn't equine I'd say.

As far as I know, the Warwickshire academy haven't actually been to any shows outside of what the college puts on for the last two years, except one. A friend of mine was on the academy in first year, and they did a competition at Solihull Riding Club, and from what I remember a couple of people fell off, and somebody had a fair few poles down, at 80cm... I recall her saying something like "I could not have been more embarrassed to be associated with it." :eek: But then again, other people love it...
3. Can you use the school horses for the collage teams Yes and are the school horses of a competitive stance of just average school horses Depends on what you ride. Some are schoolmasters, some competed highly in SJ and eventing, and all are schooled to at least high prelim or novice level.. Is there a limit to the level you can compete at with the school horses?Depends on what you ride. Do the teams compete outside the collage?See above comment.
If you live in, take lots of blankets, accommodation isn't the warmest of places!
Live in, it's a great starter for getting to know people. I lived in for first and second year. For my final year I am only in two days a week, so am commuting in from home which takes about half an hour.
Fabulous. I could not ask for a more supportive, intelligent group of people to learn from. They all have a huge wealth of knowledge, and if they can't help you with a specific problem, they will know someone who can.
Depends on how you are assessed, and how well you can ride.
The EBM course at Writtle (Associated with Essex University) is very, very, very similar. Worth giving it a look.

I agree with nearly all of what Zargon posted.

Im at Warwickshire College!
1. Hartpury is the most recognised, but its industrial We are a very personal, competent and friendly college here at Moreton Morrell. Its an amazing experience. What are you wanting to do with youre degree though? Its alot of money and tbh, degree's just in the equine industry are worthless as an employment factor. Im doing sport science because its a great stepping stone to a masters in physiotherapy which is exciting.
2. College teams is for ND students, academy is for the 12 most promising combinations across ND and degree level- it is VERY competitive. There are people on the academy here who have been on young rider teams, ridden BSJA juniors HOYS qualifiers, been under 18 BE national champions etc...
3.You can compete the horses- there are in house affiliated and unaffiliated shows, although many of the horses are older school masters to teach NDs so have a restricted workload outside of lessons.
4. I love this college, the staff are amazing, have real life experience and want to help on a very personal level. We have teaching on the same campus a twice national dressage champion, British international level horse ball player, 3* eventers, individuals responsible for massive research projects including the study that made the weight tape most people use routinely...
5. Live in, and go from there- I lived in my first year, now living locally. Its very social in, but I like the independence of having a house.
6. My lectures are very good, but you are expected to do a significant amount of self directed study, but hey- its a degree.
7. Instruction is very good, but its personal taste, right? And what is a 'decent height?' We have a massive range of horses, some of them will jump 1.20m courses, some of them will take some serious riding to get around 90cm. It depends on their own experience and confidence, and tbh your own riding abilities. Groups are assessed and riding lessons based on these assessments. As a guide, in your first year there are 2 groups- one riding to BHS stage 2/3 standard, the other to BHS stage 3/4. Cross country is obviously dependant on ground, horses and riders.
8.dunno :B