Horse colours and flies.

Pc2003

Visit site
My horse is grey and he’s never been massively bothered by the flies or midges etv. My new Youngster is dark bay and they definitely bother him more.
I usually get away with a few squirts of fly spray for my grey on bad days and that’s about it!!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Interesting. Ive a grey too whos not bothered but the chestnut is sent mad by them. Hes in a fly rug and mask already

oldie48

Visit site
I've just sorted out a fly rug for Rose, she's dark bay (almost black) and covered in flies but so is the pony who is palomino. The late Bisto (tobiano) was plagued by them too. The little black thunder flies bite my scalp. Do I just have really aggressive flies?

HorseyTee

Visit site
My chestnut seems to attract them much more than my mostly white piebald, and my skewbald doesn't seem too bothered although he has tons of mane and forelock which keeps them off his face.

vmac66

Visit site
My skewbald mare seems to attract flies. She is out in a fly rug day and night and fly mask during the day. Her nose was covered in them this evening.

teddypops

Visit site
My dark bay horse is plagued with them, I have a black pony, greys, a chestnut and a piebald and they don’t attract nearly so many.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Greys generally don't attract flies. Didn't they do a scientific thing and that's why they developed that zebra stripe range? All fly rugs are pale coloured possibly as flies do not get attracted?

We get flies all year, but without a breeze the midges might be annoying around the muzzle.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Horse flies are apparently attracted to dark colours, something I see when I only ever find them on my boy’s black bits.

His chestnut friend is plagued by flies, I didn’t put it down to his colour until reading this.

Mule

Visit site
My old black mare used to be absolutely plagued by them. They do bother the chestnut quite a bit. The two greys don't pay any attention to them.