horse communicators and reason out the window

Hippona

Visit site
To add......on our house the bathroom door opens outwards....onto the landing. It was in my line of sight through the spindles all my way up the stairs....I could quite clearly see where it was....where it always is...and I saw it suddenly from nothing shut quickly....not a gentle movement, but most definately as though it had been yanked shut.OH was there and he saw it too...

fburton

Visit site
The problem with science is that it wants to prove everything and when it cannot it will pooh pooh the whole idea.
I'm not sure I recognize that characterization of science.

The idea that science wants to prove things is discussed here - along with other misconceptions about what science is and does, and pointers into other articles on stuff like how science works:

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/teaching/misconceptions.php

FionaM12

Visit site
Just saw this on facebook. a word (or two ;)) from Morgan Freeman to homophobic horses or people everywhere. :D;)

homophobia_zps55bc6161.jpg

1stclassalan

Visit site
The problem with science is that it wants to prove everything

No. You are quite WRONG about this. Science only wants to explain how matters got to be the the way they are in the fields where some form of prediction might be in order. Thus, as there's a lot of stuff done that needs aeroplanes - there's an awful lot of puzzling done to see if they be made to fly better, faster, higher more fuel efficient etc., but the requirement for proving or disproving whether I can get a message from long dead Aunt Agatha will be well down the list of priorities - unless there's a big missing pot of gold!! And then - I'm told by my "clairvoyant" neighbour - you know the one that needs help with the weather forecast - that it doesn't work like that and he only gets random messages from a Red Indian - and there's no chance my racist Aunt will ever be talking - alive or dead to a native savage!!!

and when it cannot it will pooh pooh the whole idea.
Well, it might be fun to have to have the odd swipe but in the main, science is quite happy to leave you all wallowing in your sloughs of mysticism along with the 911 no planers, Moon walk deniers and torch beam alien abductees.

Then a few years later something will be proven when old folk law had said it all along.

Name me ONE THING that science has poo-pooed as you call it - to have it later proved - PROVED mark you!

Palindrome

Visit site
I'm not sure I recognize that characterization of science.

The idea that science wants to prove things is discussed here - along with other misconceptions about what science is and does, and pointers into other articles on stuff like how science works:

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/teaching/misconceptions.php

Particularly like those:

"MISCONCEPTION: Science proves ideas.

CORRECTION: Journalists often write about "scientific proof" and some scientists talk about it, but in fact, the concept of proof — real, absolute proof — is not particularly scientific. Science is based on the principle that any idea, no matter how widely accepted today, could be overturned tomorrow if the evidence warranted it. Science accepts or rejects ideas based on the evidence; it does not prove or disprove them. To learn more about this, visit our page describing how science aims to build knowledge.

MISCONCEPTION: Science can only disprove ideas.

CORRECTION: This misconception is based on the idea of falsification, philosopher Karl Popper's influential account of scientific justification, which suggests that all science can do is reject, or falsify, hypotheses — that science cannot find evidence that supports one idea over others. Falsification was a popular philosophical doctrine — especially with scientists — but it was soon recognized that falsification wasn't a very complete or accurate picture of how scientific knowledge is built. In science, ideas can never be completely proved or completely disproved. Instead, science accepts or rejects ideas based on supporting and refuting evidence, and may revise those conclusions if warranted by new evidence or perspectives."

Fellewell

Visit site
All Purpose Late Twentieth Century Creed
I believe in my beliefs.
It’s my belief that my beliefs
Are truer far than your beliefs,
And I believe that your beliefs
Are threatening to my beliefs,
So I’m defending my beliefs
And all who hold the same beliefs
Against your dangerous beliefs
And who share your false beliefs