Horse Coughing

EHolt

New User
Visit site
Hi my mare has started coughing and sneezing the last few days, mainly when trotting or cantering but she has been coughing in stable too. Today she coughed up what i think was flem, other yard members have suggested broncho cough medicine, has anyone else experienced coughing and what have u done, or do i book on with vet as there is one coming up in next day or so for another horse on yard, thanks in advance

doodle

Visit site
Vet. Mine was only coughing very occasionally with tiny amounts of snot. His breathing rate went to an alarming rate. Scope and tracheal wash showed a very nasty bacterial infection. He is very poorly.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Agree with the others to get the vet. I had the vet for my mare for coughing a few years ago and ended up treating with ventipulmin and soaking her hay. In our case it was a particular batch of hay which started it - the hay wasn't 'bad' and our others ate it fine and had no issues (it didn't seem dustier than usual either) but it stopped with the next hay delivery and she has been completely fine since!