Horse Cremation

circuit dancer

Visit site
That's really odd. I wernt there when they picked up my first one but the pony I just lost a month ago the lorry was waiting around the corner Small lil truck white and clean my sister did the paper work by the lorry for me n said there was no smell at all Dad stayed untill they were just about to put him on the lorry, The man was very sympathetic and apologised for needing a signature

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Please don't think ill of people who don't go the whole 'solo cremation' way, though, L. Much as I'm a soppy old sod and I love my horses to bits, I have no use for a wheelbarrowfull of heavy ashes (because that's what you get if it's done properly). It's not the horse, it won't bring the horse back, and personally it would end up upsetting me more because I'd then have to work out what the heck to do with them. At the end of the day disposing of half a tonne of dead horse is going to cause logistical problems and there is no way of doing it prettily. All we can hope is that whoever we get to do the deed does so professionally and sensitively.

i would never ever think ill of anyones choice in the ending of the horse its personal choice as I said.

I choose my ashes to go in the ground with my animals.

each to their own, its the right thing what ever you choose.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
^^^^that was me^^^^*

Guy was lovely and very nice.

Maybe ring up and complain to someone?
First pony we had ashes had but really couldn't afford it for this one so we had a lock of his is hair plaited.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I chose to have my old girl PTS at the end of October. I had already phoned Leyland Crematorium for a price and to have it pencilled in their diary as I wasn't sure of the date (I wanted her put down on at least a dry day) but when I was booking the vet a few weeks later they asked me who I was using and had I considered X as they were more local and usually cheaper. I phone X, couldn't get through to the office and the phone transferred to someone I would guess was the pick-up man. He was a bit brusque and quoted me a price (it was a simple collection and disposal, I didn't want a suitcase full of gritty ash that bore no resemblance to my lovely old girl) which was actually considerably more expensive than Leyland. So I rang Leyland, booked and paid for it all over the phone, was dealt with sympathetically and kindly but in a business-like way if you know what I mean, and they didn't mind in the slightest that I didn't know the postcode of the yard, although I was able to say it was near the human crem so they traced it on that! When the driver arrived he handed me the receipt in a sealed envelope, and backed up the trailer right to her head. It was completely clean inside and I left him to it (wished him a safe journey back and hoped that for the first time ever she would load without complaining :) )A few days later I received a lovely personalised certificate of cremation confirming the date she was actually disposed of, and a copy of the Rainbow Bridge. Ten out of ten for Leyland Crematorium in my opinion.

Lotty

Visit site
When it's time for my girl and I hope that's a long way off, I want only her to be cremated and have only her ashes returned to me. My mare is like a member of the family, I love her to bits so I want the best.

There are quite a few people on my yard that would just have the said horse shot and taken to the hounds. It's completely up to the individual, everyone is different.

Leviathan, so sorry I would hate to go through that.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Interesting. I've lost two parents in law and my mum in the last few years. Obviously they were much loved members of my family. All of them wanted to have the body disposal done as cheaply as possible as they all felt there was no point in wasting money on earthly remains. My mother would quite happily have gone to the hunt, my MIL who was anti pretty much any thing to do with horses would also have gone to the hunt, as she said, well at least it's a way of being useful after your death and it's cheap as well.

So I just don't buy this "My horse is a member of my family and deserves the best". After death, as I will be, as you will be, it's so much dead meat.

However, it does seem to be a good way of extracting cash from the bereft so I'm currently looking into the business model . . .

fatpiggy

Visit site
Interesting. I've lost two parents in law and my mum in the last few years. Obviously they were much loved members of my family. All of them wanted to have the body disposal done as cheaply as possible as they all felt there was no point in wasting money on earthly remains. My mother would quite happily have gone to the hunt, my MIL who was anti pretty much any thing to do with horses would also have gone to the hunt, as she said, well at least it's a way of being useful after your death and it's cheap as well.

So I just don't buy this "My horse is a member of my family and deserves the best". After death, as I will be, as you will be, it's so much dead meat.

However, it does seem to be a good way of extracting cash from the bereft so I'm currently looking into the business model . . .

That's a bit harsh. I didn't want my mare's ashes back as they weren't her, what would I have done with them and yes it is expensive and since she cost me over £35K in vet bills over the years, not spending an extra £300+ on top of PTS bill and removal had to be taken into account - I could think of better things to spend it on BUT that was my choice and if people want to spend their money on it and keep the ashes under the bed for the next 30 years, that's their choice. I can't understand why people spend £700 on a pair of fancy long riding boots when you can get perfectly good ones without the weird cut top and brand name for half that or even less but I would completely agree with them if they said I was mad to have spent what I did on my horse's drug habit. After all, I would have been mortgage-free by now if I hadn't. When my dad died we CHOSE to have have his ashes brought back and put under his favourite plant in his beloved garden. We could have just had him scattered at the crem. You can have an £8000 coffin or a one made of bamboo but both either rot down or burn well.

The entire world is set up to extract money from us, is it not?