Horse cut his leg. What to do?

moodymare1987

Visit site
Well my friends horse has cut his leg.
It is just under his ergot about 4 slashes, not deep just as if the skin has been split. And wasnt bleeding just had a bit of a red colour where it had been cut.

Basically just wondering what you all think we should do to treat it?
We hibiscrubbed it clean and put some antibacterial stuff on it. Wondering if that is the right thing to do.

Also cold hosed his leg as had a bit of swelling, today I did the same noticed a bit of a different colour around the cut. Anyway I washed it and it went as soon as I scrubbed, so assuming it not a worry but just wonder what that was?

Thanks in advance

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Regardless of how shallow and non scary a cut is on a horse's leg, if it's swollen that means there's an infection in there (are you certain it hasn't nicked deeper into a tendon sheath?) If there's an infection in there, the horse may need help to clear it in which case you need the vet to give antibx. Better safe than sorry!

moodymare1987

Visit site
It was swollen yesterday, but friend has been up today and the swelling has gone. Have kept it clean. But will get friend to ring the vet anyway

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Saline solution on the leg to help keep it clean and flush out impurities etc. And perhaps some sudocreme just to help it along with healing.