Horse dentist E Cheshire N Staffa NW Debys SW Yorks please?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi, my dentist has stopped returning my calls, can anyone recommend a good dentist who does the area of E Cheshire N Staffordshire NW Derbyshire SW Yorkshire please? Having written that I'm wondering who would recommend a bad one but if anyone does and you know it please PM me.

No lists please, I know where to find those, I'm looking for personal recommendations.

Thanks ?

Roxylola

Visit site
Supercob is done be Simon Gunson - he certainly travels as far as North Manchester and his social media says he's "North west"
He noticed an issue with another horse that had previously been missed and referred to the vet for treatment, and he's very nice with the horses. I'm always a bit cautious recommending dentists because it's one of those areas you might not know something has gone wrong but I like his manner and he's happy to chat about what he's doing. The horses seem quite relaxed with him too

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Robin Harding.

He's brilliant. Trained with Ivan Stockdale, I believe.

He is both a natural horseman who is excellent at handling and settling the horses, even the RSPCA rescue fosters, and a very good dentist. It's Robin who in two years completely turned round the IDx's disaster overgrown mouth.

abb123

Visit site
Jake is great. Wouldn't touch Robin with the proverbial. Made a right mess of my horses teeth and ended up needing a lot of vet and dentist work to get right. He did not train with Ivan.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He did not train with Ivan.
Funny that, as I'm pretty sure it was Ivan who told me that he had trained Robin. He certainly recommended him to me when I contacted him ?‍♀️. I approached Ivan first, but his books were full.

I am most surprised to hear of your negative experience with Robin. He is very highly regarded by all the local vets. 'Oh yes, Robin, he's good'. He will always refer a horse on if it needs a vet.

abb123

Visit site
Ivan made a point of not recommending Robin to me and steering me towards Jake.

Ivan did mine for years when I was up on the Wirral then when I moved to Cheshire I had Robin as he did those at the yard. He did them for a few years before a performance work up by vets found huge spurs digging into her cheeks with massive ulcers. He had been lazy and just not bothered to rasp at the back.

After this I contacted Ivan to get a recommendation and without saying who had done her he very much made it clear to stay away from him. Never had any problems since going with Jake. Jake definitely did train with Ivan and did a horse dentistry degree at Leahurst.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
Jake sorted my horse's teeth recently after he still had problems after an Equine Dentist and vet both tried to sort his teeth out. Jake did them and he is a different horse, eating everything. Not the cheapest but in my opinion the best in our area

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm sorry for anyone who has had poor experience with a horse dentist, but until this thread I have never heard anyone say a bad word about mine :rolleyes:. Well, apart from the fact that he can be a bit slow to reply...

Only recently he was here at the same time as my sharp-as-mustard chiro vet, who was formerly a senior vet at Leahurst. She is very happy that I use him. Regular vets ditto.

He worked a miracle on my own mare, who arrived with gross overgrowth caused by long term neglectful attention to her known diastema from previous 'dentists'. Her jaw was locked together. He has restored her mouth to 80% of optimum, which considering the starting point is a miracle. She is fully comfortable.

scats

Visit site
I'm sorry for anyone who has had poor experience with a horse dentist, but until this thread I have never heard anyone say a bad word about mine :rolleyes:. Well, apart from the fact that he can be a bit slow to reply...

Only recently he was here at the same time as my sharp-as-mustard chiro vet, who was formerly a senior vet at Leahurst. She is very happy that I use him. Regular vets ditto.

He worked a miracle on my own mare, who arrived with gross overgrowth caused by long term neglectful attention to her known diastema from previous 'dentists'. Her jaw was locked together. He has restored her mouth to 80% of optimum, which considering the starting point is a miracle. She is fully comfortable.

I think every dentist out there will have someone who hasn’t been happy with them. I use Ivan and have done for over 25 years, but I know people who won’t use him for various reasons. Doesn’t bother me as I’m more than happy with his work and I trust him.

Last edited:

wispagold

Visit site
Heather Urquhart is very good. She is based in Derbyshire. She is a vet who has set up on her own as an Equine Dental Technician.

Flame_

Visit site
Some of the vets at wright and morten have done extensive dentistry training (eta Assuming they're still there).

I only use vets now anyway. Had one dentist do too little and one do way too much. Feel more confident with vets.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
If you're in Ivan Stockdale's area he is fabulous. Used (probably still does) to do the dental clinic at Leahurst.
Or maybe one of the vets at your practice has an interest in dentistry? My practice has two who have done extra qualifications, and a lot of us have done further training and use modern equipment, not all vets are dinosaurs just armed with a single rasp any more (I accept there are plenty who still are!)

throwawayaccount

Visit site
Ivan Stockdale is due around January for our area, if that helps! I use him and he's great!

FWIW I used my local vets for dentistry and Ivan explained they hadn't done as good a job as they could- it wasn't the same calibre of workmanship- its like farriery, they're experts in hooves as its all they study, same for dentists with teeth.

Also used Simon Gunson, Lee Shakeshaft and Robin Harding in the past - they're all great!

HashRouge

Visit site
Some of the vets at wright and morten have done extensive dentistry training (eta Assuming they're still there).

I only use vets now anyway. Had one dentist do too little and one do way too much. Feel more confident with vets.
I know when I used to use them they had at least two vets who were also qualified equine dental technicians.