Horse diagnosed with ROA - is competition possible

Joyous70

Visit site
I was given the news yesterday that my girl has ROA. I have been advised to steam her hay, and keep her out as much as possible, vet doesn't want to give steroids at this moment in time.

My head is still spinning, and i am desperately trying to get my head around it, im trying to be optimistic, so does anyone one her compete with a horse that has ROA?? im talking local Riding Club level, jumping, dressage etc., im not looking to go round Badders with her

Can I have your stories please and or advice on how you manage the condition with your horse? My Yard Owner has been amazing, and we left her out last night right next to the stables where she could still see the others, and has gone into the turnout paddock for the day, so we are trying to give her as much turnout as possible.

Carrottom

Visit site
It was a long time ago, over 20 years, but I remember winergy ventilate really helped mine. Without it he could barely canter, after a few weeks on it I could ride him like a normal horse again.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was given the news yesterday that my girl has ROA. I have been advised to steam her hay, and keep her out as much as possible, vet doesn't want to give steroids at this moment in time.

My head is still spinning, and i am desperately trying to get my head around it, im trying to be optimistic, so does anyone one her compete with a horse that has ROA?? im talking local Riding Club level, jumping, dressage etc., im not looking to go round Badders with her

Can I have your stories please and or advice on how you manage the condition with your horse? My Yard Owner has been amazing, and we left her out last night right next to the stables where she could still see the others, and has gone into the turnout paddock for the day, so we are trying to give her as much turnout as possible.
Rigs has allergy type asthma, in summer only. In winter, he is even ok to snack on dry hay (not that he has much of that as he is also EMS and usually has soaked hay or high fibre haylage). He was quite bad with it and Ventipulmin didn't seem to help much the first year, or at all the second. I started on an inhaler and he was comfortable enough to do some work again.

I'm not sure on the rules and an inhaler though, as Rigs is mostly retired and just does a bit of hacking.

Gamebird

Visit site
It might be worth updating the title to see if you get more replies - ROA is a pretty outdated term, and it will probably be recognisable to a lot more people as Equine Asthma

Joyous70

Visit site
It might be worth updating the title to see if you get more replies - ROA is a pretty outdated term, and it will probably be recognisable to a lot more people as Equine Asthma
Thanks Gamebird - its what my vet called it, guess we must both be old school ;) if i knew how to update it, it would 😕😟

RhossT

Visit site

Competed club driving trials, did driveouts of up to 10k, OH did unaffiliated dressage with a teenage cob who had what my vet had gone back to calling "the heaves"! She had an inhaler, sorry, can't remember what it was. Advice was to keep her as fit as possible.