Horse didn't feel right today when ridden

Supertrooper

Visit site
He was ok starting out on hack but was putting his ears back a bit, which he doesn't normally do. On the way back he stopped a couple of times and looked at his side but then walked on. He wasn't lame at all, checked all his feet/shoes when I got back and all fine. He'd eaten hay as normal before we went out and ate his tea fine. When I left him tonight he was out in field grazing normally.

You know when they just arn't right but you don't know why. Friend said perhaps he needed to wee but he didn't do anything when we got back. He mainly felt lethargic and as though he couldn't be bothered which isn't really like him.

I'll obviously keep a close eye but any thoughts??

Supertrooper

Visit site
Yep, he had a poo before we went out and it was normal. Not been moved onto new grass and he hasn't got that much grass in his field, nothing else has changed feed wise.

I did wonder about colic but he was normal before and after he was ridden making me think it wasn't that xx

MissMistletoe

Visit site
If you say he seemed lethargic, then it could be a little bloat/gassy tummy.
Maybe being put into a new field and gone hell for leather for the new grass and over done it a little!.

ETA: sorry, ignore this, you havent moved him into fresh pasture!!!.

Last edited:

albeg

Visit site
I would have said mild colic too as he was looking at his sides. Did you ride straight from the field?

If not, has he changed shape recently? Maybe he's starting to feel a bit uncomfortable in his saddle, although that wouldn't really explain looking at his sides?

Supertrooper

Visit site
He'd been in his stable for about 40mins before we went out but again that's his normal routine. I don't think it's colic as he would of been showing signs all the time not just when he was ridden. Will keep an eye on him anyway xx

Miszeemare

Visit site
A horse at yard displayed colic symptoms (kicking at belly etc), is a wind sucker, so vet called - dirty sheath. Can be very irritating to them so maybe check that.

Supertrooper

Visit site
He did put his willy out when we got back a few times but looked fine to me. He's very sensitive so it could be something very minor!!!

albeg

Visit site
A horse at yard displayed colic symptoms (kicking at belly etc), is a wind sucker, so vet called - dirty sheath. Can be very irritating to them so maybe check that.

He could seem clean, but if you stick your hand up (in a thin glove, latex type, just in case it's stinking) you might find dirt. Is there any gunk on his legs, that's a sure sign it's in need of a clean. He could also have a bean, which could be making him uncomfortable.