Horse died from a seizure right outside my house

wakijaki

Visit site
My friends 17 year old mare died today right outside my house. My poor gelding is desperately calling for her over and over again.
Just feel so shocked at what happened.
She just backed up, reared up and threw herself backwards on the road and had a huge fit. Blood everywhere. By the time the vet got there all he could do was put her down.
Shes had fits before but my friend said the vet couldn't find anything wrong.
It was just so horrible and now I don't know how to explain to my poor boy that his girl is never coming back.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Oh that's terrible, I'm so sorry. It sounds like she had something brewing in there.

Did your gelding watch or see her dead body afterward? We had an older horse at the yard put to sleep recently after he couldn't get back up and I think it was "useful" that the gelding that was attached to him saw it all and went over to his body afterward. I was surprised how well he handled it. He would normally call the minute that other horse left his paddock and continue until he returned.

wakijaki

Visit site
He was there when it happened but unaware and then I got someone to take him back to the field as I had enough to deal with. I have done that before when I had my dog P.T.S ..we allowed our other dog to say goodbye so she didn't think we had just taken him out one day and not brought him back..wasn't sure if it would work the same with horses

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
He was there when it happened but unaware and then I got someone to take him back to the field as I had enough to deal with. I have done that before when I had my dog P.T.S ..we allowed our other dog to say goodbye so she didn't think we had just taken him out one day and not brought him back..wasn't sure if it would work the same with horses
It does and avoids the calling and anxiety agterwards. RIP poor horse and hope your friend is OK

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
ETA No idea how I posted a copy on a reply to another thread also on this thread, instead of dittoing Brighteyes reply as I had intended.

He clearly was too unaware about what had happened, but if it's too late to do anything about it, it's too late, and then all you can do is try to distract him, and give him as much of your time as possible.
I'm sorry, it must have been quite traumatic to go through for both your friend, and yourself.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Last edited:

Lois Lame

Visit site
My friends 17 year old mare died today right outside my house. My poor gelding is desperately calling for her over and over again.
She just backed up, reared up and threw herself backwards on the road and had a huge fit. Blood everywhere. By the time the vet got there all he could do was put her down.
It was just so horrible and now I don't know how to explain to my poor boy that his girl is never coming back.

He needs to see her, but I don't know if this is possible.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
How awful. My arab died the same way 3 years ago, he had a massive seizure, he'd never had one before, and broke his leg as he was struggling on the ground. It happened in the field, I was there with him as were the rest of my herd and his closest little pony friend spent hours over the next few weeks standing forlornly in the spot where the vet put the arab to sleep. It took him about a month to get over it. Your gelding must be quite traumatised, I can only suggest lots of TLC for him, and for you and your friend, Hugs xx

meleeka

Visit site
How awful for you and your friend :(. Its an awful time, but it does pass. My mare was like that because she didn’t see my gelding go. As above it took a few weeks for her to settle and I just spent lots of time with her while she came to terms with losing him.

vmac66

Visit site
What am awful thing to happen.
When I had my gelding pts his best freind started box walking and chewing wood. He took a few weeks to settle down again but he did. Lots of tlc for your boy.

doodle

Visit site
On the other hand, Letting them see dosnt always help. Minto saw sultan and had been with him overnight. He had gone down at some point. He was there when he was pts in the stable and was there the entire time from us finding sultan to the vet getting there. He seemed absolutely fine all day. But when he came in for the night he clearly expected sultan to still be in his stable. When he realised he wasn’t i have never heard a horse make the screaming noises he did.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister's gelding didn't see his half sister put down other than from a distance, two fields away, and didn't see her body either but he saw the wagon that came to pick her up and knew what was happening. He went galloping round his field screaming his head off and then went into a depression that lasted for weeks. It was a long while before he became himself again despite us getting him two mares for company.
I am so sorry for your poor friend and you having to see such an awful thing happen, truly terrible way to lose a horse.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
FWIW we lost our mare without warning last weekend, our gelding (they've been together about 16 years) was left with her body for some time. He called for 3 days but I think for him it was more of an 'I'm on my own' than a calling for her situation. He's been more settled the end of this week (this won't be a permanent situ, unfortunatley my usual 'emergency company' contacts haven't had anything suitable)

K Frank did that too, he'd been out in the back paddock behind the stables and clearly thought she was going to be in the stables when he came in for the night.

He has had intermittent sedalin because he's 28 and we didn't want him making himself unwell with incessant pacing.

Clodagh

Visit site
FWIW we lost our mare without warning last weekend, our gelding (they've been together about 16 years) was left with her body for some time. He called for 3 days but I think for him it was more of an 'I'm on my own' than a calling for her situation. He's been more settled the end of this week (this won't be a permanent situ, unfortunatley my usual 'emergency company' contacts haven't had anything suitable)

K Frank did that too, he'd been out in the back paddock behind the stables and clearly thought she was going to be in the stables when he came in for the night.

He has had intermittent sedalin because he's 28 and we didn't want him making himself unwell with incessant pacing.

I'm sorry to hear that, Ester. Poor Frank.

And OP, a horrible thing for you and your friend, let alone your gelding to see. I hope he settles soon and you can sort him some company.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss ester. :( I've always enjoyed reading about your mare and seeing her photos after we discovered that she was related to my chestnut mare.

I hope Frank and your Mum are OK.

Squeak

Visit site
So sorry for your losses Wakijaki and Ester, it's so painful when we lose them.

Wakijaki I hope you're feeling a bit better today, if nothing else it sounds like it was a very quick way to go and hopefully she didn't suffer.

wakijaki

Visit site
Thank you everyone.
My gelding has finally calmed down. They removed her body from the nearby field this morning and drove past. Thankfully he was lying down resting at the time.
Very traumatic experience to witness that. I don't think I'll ever forget what I saw and how helpless I felt to not be able to do anything. Just a horrible weekend.
Ester I'm so sorry for you loss also. Life is so cruel sometimes

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
. I would try and make do today and maybe go out to a tack shop and get some valerian root or something like that to destress him how awful for everybody how horrific it must’ve been

maybe get some rescue remedy for yourself and your friend

Orangehorse

Visit site
My horse saw his companion PTS outside the field. He gave a little whinny when he went down, and then neighed at the trailer that took him away as it went down the drive. He had a new companion so he didn't seem to upset immediately, although he never got on with the new companion at all and was very nasty to her.

Poor you and poor friend what a dreadful experience for everyone.