Horse displaying colicy symptoms.

BOWS28

Visit site
Ok so firstly, apologies for the mega long post and TIA for reading.
A horse that is stabled on the same yard as mine has been displaying colicy symptoms on and off for a good few months now. He is in very light work, stabled over night and gets fed ad lib hay and a very simple hard feed consisting of only chaff and sugarbeet. he was diagnosed with ulcers which have been treated and has got the all clear from the vet.
He has been treated by their vet multiple times for the colic but they cannot determine why it is happening.
I studied equine at college when I was younger and was very fascinated by the anatomy side of things. Hence my curiosity for the reasoning behind his colic bouts. Out of interest, has anyone had an experience similar and have had an accurate diagnosis as to why it is happening? I would love to be able to offer some advice for my friend as she is so worried!!
Thank you in advance.

Scarlett

Visit site
Mine had no ulcers but was diagnosed with Inflamatory Bowel Disease via ultrasound scan. We treated him for hind gut acidosis as this seemed the most likely cause of the issues and he improved and has had no colic issues since.

I would possibly check out the hind gut.

BOWS28

Visit site
Mine had no ulcers but was diagnosed with Inflamatory Bowel Disease via ultrasound scan. We treated him for hind gut acidosis as this seemed the most likely cause of the issues and he improved and has had no colic issues since.

I would possibly check out the hind gut.
I have suggested requesting having his hind gut investigated - her vet didn't even suggest that as an option and insisted it was ulcer related!

be positive

Visit site
I have suggested requesting having his hind gut investigated - her vet didn't even suggest that as an option and insisted it was ulcer related!

My understanding of ulcers is that they are rarely the primary issue, unless there is an obvious management reason for them, and that treating the ulcers without finding the cause will probably mean they don't really go away even if they scope clear after treating they may well come back, I think the vet is being rather narrow minded and would be looking at getting another vet involved.

BOWS28

Visit site
My understanding of ulcers is that they are rarely the primary issue, unless there is an obvious management reason for them, and that treating the ulcers without finding the cause will probably mean they don't really go away even if they scope clear after treating they may well come back, I think the vet is being rather narrow minded and would be looking at getting another vet involved.

I am going suggest getting a second opinion. It must be so stressful for the poor horse being so frequently poorly!

Blurr

Visit site
Mine ate his bed (scented shavings and miscanthus mix) when he had adlib hay, sometimes they just crave a different fibre so it's always worth a moments thought.

Obviously, not the case for your friend's horse. How long has it been going on for?

BOWS28

Visit site
Mine ate his bed (scented shavings and miscanthus mix) when he had adlib hay, sometimes they just crave a different fibre so it's always worth a moments thought.

Obviously, not the case for your friend's horse. How long has it been going on for?

He may do it over night? Just not when people are around!

I have known him for just under a year and I'd say he colics almost once a month some times multiple times!

be positive

Visit site
He may do it over night? Just not when people are around!

I have known him for just under a year and I'd say he colics almost once a month some times multiple times!

Definitely time for a new pair of eyes , having colic on and off for 12 months is not normal and any good vet would have referred to an expert by now, I had one that got colic more frequently that I was comfortable with, that was probably once every 2 years and we knew the reason was due to previous colic surgery so managed as best we could.

One thought that has occurred is that he may get a little dehydrated, not enough to really show but enough to allow him to become a bit bunged up, it may be worth her trying soaked hay to see if that helps keep things moving, a really sloppy feed each day can help but I still think it probably requires further investigation.

BOWS28

Visit site
Definitely time for a new pair of eyes , having colic on and off for 12 months is not normal and any good vet would have referred to an expert by now, I had one that got colic more frequently that I was comfortable with, that was probably once every 2 years and we knew the reason was due to previous colic surgery so managed as best we could.

One thought that has occurred is that he may get a little dehydrated, not enough to really show but enough to allow him to become a bit bunged up, it may be worth her trying soaked hay to see if that helps keep things moving, a really sloppy feed each day can help but I still think it probably requires further investigation.

Thank you for this! if I'm honest I can't believe I never considered dehydration!! I knew it was a good idea putting it on here, so much useful advise!!

Carrottom

Visit site
I had a horse a while back who had a few colics, some of which I think were related to fearful situations.
E.g. We were hacking out on a breezy afternoon and someone's dustbins had blown into the road, it was blowing up the sight hill and rolling back down. I had to wait until a car came along to move it as he was too scared to go near it. He started showing discomfort just after we got home (about 20 mins later). I think the fear caused his gut to stop.

BOWS28

Visit site
I had a horse a while back who had a few colics, some of which I think were related to fearful situations.
E.g. We were hacking out on a breezy afternoon and someone's dustbins had blown into the road, it was blowing up the sight hill and rolling back down. I had to wait until a car came along to move it as he was too scared to go near it. He started showing discomfort just after we got home (about 20 mins later). I think the fear caused his gut to stop.

Wow that is awful. Poor boy! This could be a potential cause, although the rider is very nervous so he rarely leaves the yard and is very set into a routine. These are all very valid possibilities though and I will be mentioning them when I next see her for sure! Thank you x

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What are the symptoms?
I just ask because my old horse colicked regularly, I’d get a call or turn up to find him scraping, biting his sides, rolling madly, the usual kind of thing.
By the time the vet had arrived he’d often be ok.
After a long time and a different vet we found it was actually an immune system issue. The symptoms I was seeing were intense itching but as he lived out in an electric fenced paddock there was no where really for him to scratch hence the being driven a bit mad pawing, biting rolling.