Horse doing own stretches

Halfstep

Visit site
Saw a vid on Facebook that made me wonder about something. My rising 6 yr old Hanoverian mare who is at elementary level dressage has always stretched her back legs when leaving the stable in the morning. But lately since her work has really increased (collection), she's started doing full on yoga stretches, front legs stretched out, back down so that her withers are around chest height to me (she's 16.2, I'm 5'2!). She always makes a thing of stretching both back legs carefully every morning, and often fronts as well, but only does the back stretch when she sees the tack coming.
I've never had a horse do this before to this degree, and no other horse that I ride does it.
So, is it a good thing? Or a sign that she's anticipating something? Or that maybe her back is a bit sore? She's never had any problems but has been a bit cold backed in the past and likes me to take a light seat for her first bit of canter in a session. After that she's fine.

(haven't posted on here for ages!)

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Welcome back Halfstep!

I have a mare who also does this - full on 'cat stretches' (to give it the Yoga term) and also stretches her back legs out (together with loud grunts and groans). She often does it when I pull her rugs off, as though she's glad to be free of the restriction.

My physio is very happy with her, her muscle tone is excellent and there are no obvious issues.

I just refer to it as her Yoga session :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think it's just a habit or natural inclination - I'd be more worried if she stopped doing it! I think sometimes we don't give horses enough credit for knowing their own bodies. If all else is good I'd probably see it as a plus not a problem. :)

Wheels

Visit site
One of my previous horses did this, he did in yoga terms the downward facing dog :) only ever in the mornings after a night in the stable, the farrier always visited at 7.30 so I could make it to work on time and whenever he picked a front foot up he always got a full on stretch lol

Horse was sound as a pound

MissMoo

Visit site
I used to have a horse that used to do her own stretches when I asked her to lift her legs after doing up the girth - the first time she did it she scared the life out of me! My present horse likes to stretch out her front legs after eating her breakfast and will often do the back legs after this!