Horse dragging hind when ridden... what could this be?

sjdress

Visit site
Older horse drags and squares off a hind hoof when ridden. Currently having a break and there appears to be no squaring off of the hoof. What could this possibly be? Could the rider be crooked and causing this or if arthritic would they do it less when not having to work?

sjdress

Visit site
When my boy started doing this it turned out to be hock OA. Has all but stopped with steroid injections, you can tell when they wear off (currently 9-12 months) as he starts again.

this was my thinking, but I wondered why she wouldn’t appear to wear it down when out in the field on a break from ridden work?

tatty_v

Visit site
this was my thinking, but I wondered why she wouldn’t appear to wear it down when out in the field on a break from ridden work?

I’m not 100% sure myself but perhaps things like a softer surface, not having to carry the weight of a rider and tack etc?

DressageCob

Visit site
It could be any one of a number of things. Arthritis, bone spavin, sacroiliac problems, hips/pelvis. I used to groom a polo pony who dragged a hind due to hind foot navicular (less common).

Birker2020

Visit site
Mine used to be so bad before joint medication for her spavin that she used to drag her hind toes on concrete and sparks used to fly off her shoes.

AUB

Visit site
Basically it can be anything from the tail to the nose that makes the horse drag a toe.

When mine did it it was the straight sesamoidean ligament. Took time but healed fine.