Horse dropping food

Kub

Visit site
Just wondering if this is bad or not... My boy is only 2 and a half, so still very much growing in the teeth department, but he drops feeds when he's eating. It's not much at all, practically nothing compared to how much he's actually having, but I know this is sometimes a bad thing...

Anyone have this with their horse? Is it something to worry about or not really? He will be having his teeth checked this year just not sure when as we do it as a whole yard in one go.

perfect11s

Visit site
Just wondering if this is bad or not... My boy is only 2 and a half, so still very much growing in the teeth department, but he drops feeds when he's eating. It's not much at all, practically nothing compared to how much he's actually having, but I know this is sometimes a bad thing...

Anyone have this with their horse? Is it something to worry about or not really? He will be having his teeth checked this year just not sure when as we do it as a whole yard in one go.

I would get his teeth checked...... nice to know all is well or he needs some attention...

Last edited:

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
If he is quiding, ie spitting out half chewed, balled up hay for example, there is a problem.
But if he is just dribbling his bucket feed whilst eating it, I wouldn't worry, some of mine are really messy eaters and I have bits of sugar beet flying everywhere:)

bedbug

Visit site
If you have had his teeth checked then he is probably like by greedy welsh cob, he stuffs so much into his mouth it drops out the side as he is chewing it. I swear his cheeks bulge he trys to take such a big mouthful each time

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
He may just be a messy eater, however, something that can happen when they are developing in the teeth department is a tooth remnant can remain when the baby teeth are pushed out (which is therefore v sore!) But often not difficult to sort, vet uses artery forceps and pulls that bad boy out! :)

Not saying this is what your lad will have, he may just be a food slob like myself! :D but its always worth being on the safe side than leaving it too late and having a MASSIVE vet bill in my opinion! :)

Kub

Visit site
Thanks peeps. Tbh from what you've said, I think he's just a messy eater. He does stick a load in his mouth in one go and it's not chewed up food, it's just tiny bits of cool mix or chaff that dribbles out whilst he's looking around. Like I said, it's not much at all and he'll be having his teeth checked in the next couple of months anyways, he's not displaying any kinda of reluctance with his mouth in general or with the bit etc. so me thinks I may just have a messy cob who is a food fanatic lol! Thanks :)

kellyeaton

Visit site
Just get the EDT just to check there is nothing going wrong with in his mouth it could be thats his baby 3,s are coming out but best to be safe than sorry!x