Horse drops shoulder and jumps to throw you off...

Solari

Visit site
I was recently riding a horse that was new to me. We were trot-to-canter'ing and whilst in a trot, he decides to drop his shoulder heavily on one side, and then jump to the other side, making it almost impossible to stay on. And he did it completely out of nowhere!

The horse is a generally difficult horse... he refused to move without taking a smack or two, and then bucked a bit before moving on. I thought he was going to behave but then he pulled that drop-shoulder-jump stunt.

So I have a few questions please

1) Is there a name for that move when a horse drops a shoulder and jumps the other way?
2) Is it common? Is there a way to fix it?
3) What should you do when riding a horse that does it frequently?

For example when I got back on... I found it hard to get him to trot again because he refused to respond to my legs and I didn't want to push my luck because I got scared (yes I'm a novice).

It was actually the first time I have ever fallen off so... that's probably why I was extra scared.

pennandh

Visit site
Mr. H used to be somewhat prone to this kind of thing (mostly because he was very spooky when he was younger), and I think the best advice I can give in regards to staying on and trying to train the behaviour out is this:

- Get yourself a grab-handle of some sort, be it a neckstrap, a monkey-handle between the dees, or one of those RS-tor thingies. If you're at all worried about balance, holding on with your inside hand will help both in terms of security and confidence.

- Ask your instructor to help you work on a defensive lower leg position. Your lower leg is what holds you in the saddle, and if you can develop the right habits, you'll be able to sit through any naughtiness much better.

- If the horse tends to jump mainly to one side (and most horses will favour one way or the other), having a short stick in the hand he tends to jump towards will allow you to guard that shoulder. It won't necessarily stop him doing it, but it should help discourage him somewhat (especially if he's just looking to see what he can get away with).

- Suede seat breeches/jodhs are your friend when riding horses that go sideways. You don't need to buy an expensive pair - shop around a bit and you can pick decent ones up comparatively cheaply.

- Lunge lessons can be very good for both your seat-security and your confidence, because the person holding the lunge line can be in charge of worrying about what the horse is up to, and you can just worry about yourself.

- If he's a riding school horse and he's honestly stopping you having fun riding, there's no shame in asking to ride something else while you re-build your confidence. Riding, first and foremost, should be ENJOYABLE. Given time, you'll almost definitely get to the stage where you feel happy to ride anything, even if it's a twit, but that takes practice and experience, and there's really no hurry. Go at your own pace, and don't feel that you're failing if you occasionally encounter set-backs.

Solari

Visit site
Mr. H used to be somewhat prone to this kind of thing (mostly because he was very spooky when he was younger), and I think the best advice I can give in regards to staying on and trying to train the behaviour out is this:

- Get yourself a grab-handle of some sort, be it a neckstrap, a monkey-handle between the dees, or one of those RS-tor thingies. If you're at all worried about balance, holding on with your inside hand will help both in terms of security and confidence.

- Ask your instructor to help you work on a defensive lower leg position. Your lower leg is what holds you in the saddle, and if you can develop the right habits, you'll be able to sit through any naughtiness much better.

- If the horse tends to jump mainly to one side (and most horses will favour one way or the other), having a short stick in the hand he tends to jump towards will allow you to guard that shoulder. It won't necessarily stop him doing it, but it should help discourage him somewhat (especially if he's just looking to see what he can get away with).

- Suede seat breeches/jodhs are your friend when riding horses that go sideways. You don't need to buy an expensive pair - shop around a bit and you can pick decent ones up comparatively cheaply.

- Lunge lessons can be very good for both your seat-security and your confidence, because the person holding the lunge line can be in charge of worrying about what the horse is up to, and you can just worry about yourself.

- If he's a riding school horse and he's honestly stopping you having fun riding, there's no shame in asking to ride something else while you re-build your confidence. Riding, first and foremost, should be ENJOYABLE. Given time, you'll almost definitely get to the stage where you feel happy to ride anything, even if it's a twit, but that takes practice and experience, and there's really no hurry. Go at your own pace, and don't feel that you're failing if you occasionally encounter set-backs.

Thanks for the advice! This is helpful.

Could you please elaborate on the suede breeches bit - I didn't understand that. How does the suede help?

Shay

Visit site
They are sometimes called "Sticky Bum" Breeches / Johds. Not just suede but you can also get rubber dotty like stuff on the inside. Eeither of the whole seat or just the knees. They have a greater grip on the saddle and can provide that extra instant of hold. They are an acquired taste though and some riders (my daughter included) can't stand them.

If this is your horse (or a privately owned horse) you or the owner might want to get him checked for pain. This type of thing is usually described as napping and is an effort to avoid work - very successfully in this case! It often starts with pain - but it will become a learned habit. It is worth ruling out pain from tack, teeth or back.

If it is an RS horse pain is still quite possible - but many RS horses learn all sorts of ways to get out of work and this is one of the more effective!

How to stop it? The horse will stop when it doesn't work. Either because the rider is too secure and won't come off or because the rider can predict when it would happen and will stop it by turning a tight circle or otherwise breaking the behaviour. Even when the rider gets back on the horse has still won a brief battle because for a while the work did stop. The suggestion of some form of grab strap will help- but don't be afraid to say you won't ride this horse. The behaviour is potentially dangerous - especially if you hit a jump or the arena fence in the process. Make sure your hat and body protector are up to the current standards too!

Mike007

Visit site
Totaly agree with the suade breeches theory. I used to grab handfulls of sand from the parade ring before a race and rub it into the knee area of my racing breeches. Helped the grip no end!And as for a grab strap/neck strap/safety belt. I wont ride without one. Used it three times last week on Bob the nota cob!!!!!!!! Getting your first fall out of the way is a good and positive thing.As kids we were told that you had to fall off seven times before you could call your self a rider. Oddly ,the sixth and seventh got more difficult to get. (then you progressed to riding Dapple who could get you off seven times in a hundred yards)

blackhor2e

Visit site
I take it he is in fitting tack, had his back & teeth checked? In that case probably a slightly naughty habit he has developed that needs nipping in the bud before you have a serious fall or loose confidence, do you have an instructor on the ground who knows you or the horse and can offer advice?

Tnavas

Visit site
My TB was infamous for this prank when I got him - he would dump his jockey most days - he was in pain! His 7th cervical vertebrae was out of alignment and was pinching nerves. After several visits by the chiro it was fixed and he never did it again.

Tash88

Visit site
It's difficult as he's a riding school horse so it isn't up to you as to whether he has his back/tack/teeth checked. A decent riding school should be on top of this so hopefully it isn't a pain-related problem. Similarly, you can't have a huge impact on his training. As you were nervous afterwards I would ask your instructor if you could ride another horse for a few week, maybe have some private lunge lessons or work without stirrups to improve your seat and lower leg position, therefore improving your security.

If the horse is doing that on a regular basis then a riding school might not be the best place for him, never mind a more novice client. Are there any other good riding schools in the area? Someone on here may be able to recommend one if you say what area you are in.

Solari

Visit site
It's difficult as he's a riding school horse so it isn't up to you as to whether he has his back/tack/teeth checked. A decent riding school should be on top of this so hopefully it isn't a pain-related problem. Similarly, you can't have a huge impact on his training. As you were nervous afterwards I would ask your instructor if you could ride another horse for a few week, maybe have some private lunge lessons or work without stirrups to improve your seat and lower leg position, therefore improving your security.

If the horse is doing that on a regular basis then a riding school might not be the best place for him, never mind a more novice client. Are there any other good riding schools in the area? Someone on here may be able to recommend one if you say what area you are in.

Yes indeed. He's a riding school horse and it's my understanding that he's just picked up a very bad habit and there's not much they can do about it.

I'm in North-West London - would love to hear recommendations of good schools nearby actually!

Micropony

Visit site
I'm in North-West London - would love to hear recommendations of good schools nearby actually!

The ones I would have recommended are sadly all closed now, I think: Suzanne's, Strangeways, South Medburn. Hopefully someone who is more up to date with riding schools will be able to advise you.

teapot

Visit site
Yes indeed. He's a riding school horse and it's my understanding that he's just picked up a very bad habit and there's not much they can do about it.

Hard work and decent schooling - am working with one who's picked up a similar habit. It's a very easy way of getting out of work.

Worth asking on this forum, as there are people who know the riding schools round London. I'm only aware of the ones to the south.

Tash88

Visit site
I could, yeah. Not the ideal situation but it's certainly possible.

Ham House Stables,run by Minette Rice-Edwards is fantastic. It's close to Richmond Park. Minette will start you off on the lunge and establish your seat; the lessons aren't cheap but you will learn more than at most riding schools. Pm me if you want more information.