Horse failed vet wwyd

willhegofirst

Visit site
A friend has found a horse to buy, ticks all the boxes, really lovely boy at a very good dealers, horse not cheap, he has failed the vetting being lame on trotting in a tight circle. The vender has suggested that he may have tweeked himself in the mud and will box rest him for a few days and has suggested re-vetting in two weeks, what do people think, give him another chance or move on and look for something else, she is after a bombproof happy hacker.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would suggest to the dealer that they pay for the 2nd vetting. If your friend really likes the horse, it could be worth waiting for the 2nd vetting, if the vet agrees.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would re-vet, people on here could write you pages of 'failed' vettings that were done again and fine, but then again we could write you pages of responses where a horse 'passed' and then broke. Go with her gut. Horse shopping is pants, and good, tick box horses are not easy to come by

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The lameness would not worry me, he can be vetted again, however, what does bother me is why a good, not cheap, kind and safe horse is in the hands of a dealer.

There is never a shortage of buyers for a genuinely safe horse. Read what the advert does not say rather than what is does say would be my guidance.

Dubsie

Visit site
The lameness would not worry me, he can be vetted again, however, what does bother me is why a good, not cheap, kind and safe horse is in the hands of a dealer.

There is never a shortage of buyers for a genuinely safe horse. Read what the advert does not say rather than what is does say would be my guidance.

However what is one person's bargain can be another's that did not get on (our bargain was deemed dangerous, spooky and not safe for a 14 year old (spoke to previous owner after we bought), daughter thought horse was fab). Maybe the kind safe horse was too tame and not advanced enough for what the previous owner wanted, so was part exchanged for something with better movement/higher jump? I'd suggest ask for the details of previous owner to discuss any past history (and why sold to the dealer)

willhegofirst

Visit site
Horses at this dealers start at 4K she has all her horses for several months before putting them up for sale, my understanding is the dealer has a very good reputation for her horses being very accurately described, this lad came over from Ireland. But I know what you mean.

Fun Times

Visit site
If it failed trotting a tight circle on hard ground I would ask the vet for their views as to how bad it was. I suspect a high percentage of horses are lame to some degree on this test.

Equi

Visit site
The dealer sounds like a reasonable person, i would ask the second vetting cost off the price of the horse, but definitely view again.

As for the "not cheap" that depends on what people view as cheap. My horse was £800, not worth a penny of it on paper but worth 3x as much to me for safety, rideability and genuine nice horseness.

Equi

Visit site
Just as an aside, related but also not - do you vet with the same vet, or get another one and have the original vet there too....or just another vet entirely. Just curious..

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Was this on the hard ground? If so that’s an optional part of the vetting anyway and many choose not to do it cause of risk to horse.
Agree with poster above also who said speak with Vet as many would and do fail on that but are still appropriate for the job in hand.
If it passed everything else would it be cheaper/similar price to just X-ray foot and check for changes.
If she only wants a hacker then it prob wouldn’t bother so much compared to if she wanted advanced dressage horse.

Louby

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime failed the vet miserably on a flexion test. I walked away and stupidly went back and bought him a few weeks later. Best thing I ever did, he never had a days lameness apart from a fractured Radius but then that was nothing to do with his failed vetting.
Personally, if he ticked all the boxes then I would have a 2nd vetting at the expense of the seller, if they arent prepared to do that then I'd walk away.
Hope it all works out for your friend

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That particular test is very severe and many horses will fail it due to a minor imbalance in the foot. This can usually be corrected either by shoeing to x rays or by removing the shoes altogether and allowing the horse to set its own balance. If the dealer is respected, foot x rays are clear, and the horse is everything you want I would buy it but be aware that it will not be covered by insurance for lameness in that leg.