Horse falling over- Help!

jen_lark85

Visit site
My horse has always tripped, but in the last month or so he has fallen over onto his side about 4 times, and another 2 times in the past 6 months. The circumstances are completely random though- he has done it once on the flat (trotting in a straight line), once after landing after a jump, once on the lunge, once turned out in the school, once in the field and gone onto his knees on a hack... :-S It's always his front legs that seem to go and after he gets up he carries on as if nothing happened. He has been referred to Liverpool uni vets but whilst waiting for an appointment has anyone heard of anything similar or have any suggestions? Thank you!

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
mine fell on hack to his knees, but it was because I was riding on the buckle and so he was not picking up his feet properly, now have changed way I ride and done again since. he stumbles but nothing major - never known that much falling though

defo vet visit - what about a physio person ???? he might be tight somewhere ??? might be worth at least talking to one over the phone before having them out and paying a fortune ?

xx

jen_lark85

Visit site
Hi, I have a McTimoney chiropractor regularly to do his back and thats usually fine, and he was working correctly in most cases :S

GreedyGuts

Visit site
Sounds like a referral is the best course of action. Is he being referred as a neuro or an orthopaedic case? It could be a number of things, but I would avoid using a physio/chiropracter while you are waiting for the referral incase this makes things worse, and obviously avoid riding him. Is he showing signs of unsteadiness at other times? Has he had any injuries?
Getting him referred is the best thing you can do, and hopefully the outcome will be positive.

BethH

Visit site
My old horse had something similar i.e., the front legs used to cut out and he would collapse/trip onto his knees. It became more regular and the vet advised it was neurological and there wasn't anything they could so for him sadly, I did stop riding him as it wasn't fair to him and a bit dangerous for me. I would just like to say that he was approaching 30 so arthritus from old age caused the problem. It may be that there is some sort of nerve being pinched or something daft, tiny and easy to resolve. I still wish I had got a 2nd opinion as I felt that they wrote him off because he was old so you are quite right to go for tests, you are doing the right thing in getting him investigated. I have all my fingers crossed for you that it will be a positive outcome too.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I used to teach at a yard where they had problems with horses stumbling...and it was selenium deficient grazing. The ponies dragged their toes and seemed unco-ordinated.
After supplementation they were fine again.
S