Horse falling over? Lazy or health related?

LessThanPerfect

Visit site
I fail to see why anyone would need to consult a forum of strangers in order to come to the conclusion this horse should be checked out by a vet.

Just baffles me.

Anyway, hope all works out ok.

Maybe because it is the weekend and she is really worried and looking for reassurance until the vet arrives.

Moomin1

Visit site
Maybe because it is the weekend and she is really worried and looking for reassurance until the vet arrives.

OP said that peoples' opinions that she should get the horse checked over confirmed her own. Why anyone would need to do that I don't know. Hey ho, I hope all is well.

Fun Times

Visit site
OP said that peoples' opinions that she should get the horse checked over confirmed her own. Why anyone would need to do that I don't know. Hey ho, I hope all is well.
I suspect what OP was trying to do was to make the point that she too thought the vet should see him. At no time did I form the view that OP felt asking the question on this forum would replace the need for a vet or other expert, rather she was just seeking ideas as to potential cause of problem in parallel with any other professional checks. I dont think its very fair to imply someone is stupid for asking the question. OP as others said, foot shape could be a contributing factor. I would start with farrier and then vet check.

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
My old boy started to trip and fall to his knees a lot, after investigation at the vets, he was diagnosed with arthritis in his fetlock joints, good luck op x

Tnavas

Visit site
Originally Posted by Tnavas
Falling over is definitely not an early sign of navicular. Signs of navicular are slight shortening of stride, unlevel steps especially on hard ground and on a circle, pointing of the affected foot at rest.

Any of which may well unbalance the horse/cause stumbling/falling.

NO! I wonder how many Navicular horses you have worked with. Stumbling is not associated with Navicular.

Stumbling may be from long toes, arthritic conditions of the joints above the foot and also cervical misalignment, especially the 7th as this is where the nerves to the front legs travel through. Heart problems also cause stumbling.

Moomin1

Visit site
Originally Posted by Tnavas
Falling over is definitely not an early sign of navicular. Signs of navicular are slight shortening of stride, unlevel steps especially on hard ground and on a circle, pointing of the affected foot at rest.

NO! I wonder how many Navicular horses you have worked with. Stumbling is not associated with Navicular.

Stumbling may be from long toes, arthritic conditions of the joints above the foot and also cervical misalignment, especially the 7th as this is where the nerves to the front legs travel through. Heart problems also cause stumbling.

I completely agree that navicular isn't 'associated' with stumbling directly. However I disagree strongly that it cannot result in stumbling/tripping. Any alteration in gait/balance/foot fall can result in an increased chance of stumbling and falling. Just as it can in humans.