Horse feed worries.

Missy4000

Visit site
I was on the yard this evening and got on to the topic of my feed for my three year old TB mare 15.3hh.

I feed her only because of supplements for sweet itch. Which is working.

Her feed:

Hi fi light: handful
Top spec light: 250grams
Fast fibre: 1/2 scoop

Plus 24 hour turn out on lush rich grass and hay when ever she's in.

She's looking good and I had no concerns until this lady said I'm not feeding her to much.

Admittedly she's on fast fibre only to make sure she eats her think itch supplement otherwise she doesn't touch it.

Advice would be grateful please and thank you in advance

Jazmyn101

Visit site
I think your feed sounds absolutely fine :) my 15.3hh ISH x isn't on much, just 1 scoop of hi-fi molasses free and topspec cool balancer and supplements (garlic and magnesium.) She is fizzy and doesn't need anything else, she is turned out during the day and has as lib hay when in. My horse looks great on this, is much prefer my horse to be on lots of forage and a small feed :)

wkiwi

Visit site
When you say "not feeding her too much" did you mean that the lady said the horse was getting too much food or that you weren't feeding enough?
If the latter, then I would ask the lady why she thinks the grass isn't good enough. Has she had nutrition tests done on the grass and/or soil? Many many young horses around the world thrive on grass, and if she is in the right condition then I would think the grass is more than sufficient.

Missy4000

Visit site
She thinks I'm feeding her too much. She's not fat at all she looks right for her age.

The grass has had all of the test done and it's got really good nutrition in it.

The only reason I've got fast fibre in her diet is because I can mix the supplements in she doesnt turn up her nose at them.

I don't feed her any more then what I posted before.

The lady only feeds hers equalibra and only when they come in. But they are cobs and quite chunky type.

With some of the feeds I see I really didn't think it was bad

wkiwi

Visit site
Maybe next time there is a vet on the yard then get them to do a body condition score on your horse so that you can say to the lady that the vet says it is in the recommended range.
I know someone that bought a new horse and posted pics on facebook. Some of her 'friends' were very negative about how thin he was (i.e. opposite prob to yours) and she rang up the previous owner very upset as she didn't know what to do. The horse (vet checked) was at the absolute ideal weight!
There is also a new body index system about to be made available for free that anyone can use; it has just been researched and verified and should be appearing on various websites in the next few months (and probably in horse and hound), so this will help people be more objective. I have seen people say that a horse is too fat when it is actually thin, as well as vice versa and, as you say, a cob type can look different to a non-chunky.