Horse feed

Sallyanne95

Visit site
Hello, I have bought my horse some coolstance copra and some Alpengrun Musli (Alpine Forage Muesli) and I just want a second opinion or two on how much of both to give him.

He is 16.3hh and 24 years old. Coming out of winter he is a little under weight so I want that building up he is also coming back into work after a 7 month break (nothing to do with him)

The copra is for the weight gain and his coat and just general upkeep as I trust this product. He seems to spit out normal chaff and mix so that's why I am trying the Alpine Forage Muesle, I think he will enjoy it and will be okay to eat it plus I have heard great reviews on it.

He will be getting it split between two meals a day and he gets turned out during the day and as much hay as he can eat when he's in.

Thank you!!

Morgan123

Visit site
Email the feed company, they all have qualified people waiting to give you helpful answers to questions like this!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Except that the feed company will probably tell you to feed too much. I've never fed any horse or pony the recommended amount of any feed.

OP, you have the horse in front of you, you're the one who can see how it's doing on a week by week basis. Feeding horses is as much an art form as a science. I'm not familiar with the feeds you mention, but if you've previously been feeding something with similar energy levels, then to start with it's just a case of substuting one feed for another, gradually. Energy levels in MJ/Kg of DE are written on the bag, the website or you can phone the company to ask.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Never heard of the latter. Would be suspicious of sugar in that from the name tho!

Coolstance copra you can feed up to 4kgs a day but my horse won't eat more than 2kgs a day, I add water at the time of feeding it and that is split into 2 feeds.

I would start with a small amount and build up the amount he gets according to work done.

sem9999

Visit site
Never heard of the latter. Would be suspicious of sugar in that from the name tho!

Coolstance copra you can feed up to 4kgs a day but my horse won't eat more than 2kgs a day, I add water at the time of feeding it and that is split into 2 feeds.

I would start with a small amount and build up the amount he gets according to work done.

Actually quite the opposite with regards to Agrobs Muesli -no molasses added, only natural sugars from the ingredients. Sugar levels are quoted to be 8% and starch 1.6%

Sallyanne95

Visit site
I haven't gone to the actual feed company as I feel they may encuarge me more towards there feed other then a nice mixture of the two. He hasn't been on a feed recently so it will be starting a fresh so of course he will he started on shall amounts and built up I just didn't want to end up over feeding him or not feeding him enough but I will keep a close eye and see what works for him. The alpine forage Muesle has only been avalible in the UL since last year but has become very popular as sem9999 said it is all completely natural and you can tell that by the look of it. Its got a lovely mixture of things in it and I'm sure most horses would love it! I have been told it is very popular with dressage riders.

wingedhorse

Visit site
I haven't gone to the actual feed company as I feel they may encuarge me more towards there feed other then a nice mixture of the two. He hasn't been on a feed recently so it will be starting a fresh so of course he will he started on shall amounts and built up I just didn't want to end up over feeding him or not feeding him enough but I will keep a close eye and see what works for him. The alpine forage Muesle has only been avalible in the UL since last year but has become very popular as sem9999 said it is all completely natural and you can tell that by the look of it. Its got a lovely mixture of things in it and I'm sure most horses would love it! I have been told it is very popular with dressage riders.

If he's not been on hard food recently, I would start with a mug of each (copra expands when soaked), and stick at that for at least 4 days, and then as his gut bacteria adjust, increase a bit every 4 days.