Horse fell on road today - knee boots?

asommerville

Visit site
Hi all, well today we were just leaving the yard and my young horse slipped and went down on the road on his knees and his face! God knows how I stayed on but we both got a big fright. Thankfully he hasn't cut his knee, just seems to have bumped it and is sound (thank god!) I've never used them before but I want to get a set of brushing boots with knee pads attached - can anyone recommend any please?

Tapir

Visit site
I think it's only Shires Westropp who make them. I bought some for my mare who has arthritis in her knees and she did fall in them a few weeks ago - her knees were fine and I was very glad she'd been wearing them.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Hi all, well today we were just leaving the yard and my young horse slipped and went down on the road on his knees and his face! God knows how I stayed on but we both got a big fright. Thankfully he hasn't cut his knee, just seems to have bumped it and is sound (thank god!) I've never used them before but I want to get a set of brushing boots with knee pads attached - can anyone recommend any please?

Westropp knee brushing boots.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Just be careful/keep an eye on him. Kal fell on the road out hunting at the end of last year, had a relatively minor cut on his right knee (among other injuries) . . . six months later it turns out he actually fractured his patella which has caused other problems. He was sound until two months ago.

Didn't want to scare you - just make you aware.

Hope your boy recovers well and there are no further complications :).

P

asommerville

Visit site
Just be careful/keep an eye on him. Kal fell on the road out hunting at the end of last year, had a relatively minor cut on his right knee (among other injuries) . . . six months later it turns out he actually fractured his patella which has caused other problems. He was sound until two months ago.

P

Thanks, I will keep an eye on him, what a fright he gave himself!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Poor chap. I often use the traditional leather / felt Jeffries ones. Don't like the modern types myself!

mynutmeg

Visit site
I have a set of the jumpers horse line felt lined leather knee boots and they are great - fit well, were dirt cheap (£10 new) and have lasted really well

googol

Visit site
I have a set of the jumpers horse line felt lined leather knee boots and they are great - fit well, were dirt cheap (£10 new) and have lasted really well

Where could I buy these? I have the westropp ones but I think they are a bit bulky and if the horses messes around they could cause tripping! So I'm on the lookout for traditional ones

Piglet

Visit site
Me too for the Westrop knee/brushing boot combo, I bought a pair of older style Woof Wear knee boots and although are very good, they do slip down a bit. I looked at the new style but they only come in M/L which is too big for my horse - back to me old faithfuls - the combo - can't beat them. 😀😀

caseycat

Visit site
Brushing boots with the knee attached are the safest should you decide to have a canter or pop a jump when out, as no loose lower strap to catch. I think Caldene also make a version.

asommerville

Visit site
Thanks folks will have a look for the westropp boots, going to RHS on Thurs so might pick them up there! I'm sore from trying to stay on so hope wee horse is ok, gave him a wee danilon and fingers crossed hes ok in the morning

Daytona

Visit site
I never hack out without the westrop brushing/knee boot combined things

You can wear them anywhere, great investment

Gwyntbryn

Visit site

P

Patella is in the hind leg, so must have been something else

Buds_mum

Visit site
I have westropp ones, love them and used them for two years and look like new. and also the Caledene knee brushing boots (got them cheap in the sale).

Caldene are a lot cooler his legs dont sweat in them at all, used for every hack, pleasure ride or hunt for the last year and look brand new.

I wouldn't take a horse on the road without knee protection.

rara007

Visit site
I wonder what bone it is- there is no flat bone infront of a horses knee- hmm!

We've had one with 'broken knees' (just the skin but impressively so) - really not worth the risk. I think traditional style with the knee boot securing above and below the knee are 10x better than those that could fold back on impact.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I wonder what bone it is- there is no flat bone infront of a horses knee- hmm!

Not being a vet, I wouldn't know! Although having done a quick Google, the only bone I can come up with is the Carpus/Carpal Joint . . . will ask my vet when he comes back to re-scan my horse on Friday. Whatever it's called, it suffered a "trauma" resulting in a fracture, a floating chip and bony re-growth - plain to see on the x-rays taken six weeks or so ago . . . and if, as my vet (who is an FEI approved vet/treated one of the equestrian teams at London 2012 so should know what's what) believes it happened several months ago/when he fell on the road out hunting back last November, then he carried the injury for a long time before it caused an issue/showed up as lameness (when the bony re-growth pressed on the suspensory ligament and inflamed it).

Just to satisfy the pedants, I will make sure I ask my lovely vet for the name of the affected bone ;).

P

Tapir

Visit site
Has anyone's horse ever fallen in the all in one knee/brushing boot?
Yep, as I said in my other post. My mare fell when wearing hers a couple of weeks ago and didn't have a mark on her legs when she got up. I was so relieved she had them on.

soulfull

Visit site
Glad he seems ok. Thanks for posting this as, I always use traditional leather knee boots. But only yesterday I was thinking if it wasn't for the knee boots I would take my mare for a quick walk around the block after schooling.
Without your post I may well have done and regretted it

So thanks

asommerville

Visit site
Glad he seems ok. Thanks for posting this as, I always use traditional leather knee boots. But only yesterday I was thinking if it wasn't for the knee boots I would take my mare for a quick walk around the block after schooling.
Without your post I may well have done and regretted it

So thanks

Just goes to show you! We walk down the same road nearly every day and this was just bad luck!!