Horse flies. Do any repellents actually work.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
The only one I find really helps if the NAF deet spray (black bottle) although you do have to be careful around eyes etc.

I'm using this atm and its as good as any -I think rugs are best for biting horseflies and midges though. Barrier Superfly Plus is ok too and seems to resist some rainfall. Back in the 70s we used vinegar and TCP but not sure the TCP worked at all.

elliejhb

Visit site
My poor grey gets bitten alive and has the blood smears to prove it so sorry the grey theory is not so. I cover him with fly rugs with good belly coverage but they get a little area on chest and on his legs. I have found that smearing Nettol midge cream - comes in a small tub - seems to deter them a little.

My grey boy also gets munched and sadly reacts to the bites, large oozy itchy welts. So lives in a fly rug as soon as the horse flies make an appearance (even when in his stable). Yesterday he started going out with his mask on too as when I went to bring him in on Saturday he had a party of horseflies on his face and looked miserable.

Interestingly I watched the horses yesterday before I brought them in, my grey was all rugged and masked up happily munching without a wave of tail, the other 4 (2 dark bays, 2 bright bays) were constantly stamping, flicking tails and shaking heads but don't seem to come up in bumps.

HashRouge

Visit site
They are utter gits, hunt by sight for large dark things. Only repellent? Buy a grey horse.
I find the colour question so interesting! My grey mare does get bitten, but nowhere near as badly as my gelding (liver chestnut). He gets really badly bothered by them, poor love. I need to get his fly rug out of the cupboard!

willhegofirst

Visit site
I'm sure Power Phazer was better a few years ago, it doesn't smell as strong as it used to, and it did seem to keep horseflies away, now I still use it, but it is definitely not anywhere as good.

spacefaer

Visit site
I find the Power phaser spray isn't nearly as effective as the gel. I went on a fun ride yesterday on a warm, muggy day, in a forest mainly made up conifers. Horse fly heaven - a lot of the riders were complaining that they had had a horrible ride because of the horse flies.

I put a thin sheen of the gel over his neck, chest, arm pits (either side of the girth) and flanks and stifle area. We had plenty hovering around, but I would estimate 2 landed on him.....

He's grey and gets bitten without the gel. I put it on by running the sponge across the hair, rather than smoothing it on. Seems to give more effective coverage.

Been hacking him and his buddy who is dark brown, with the same application of gel, at home, and they're not being attacked.

Lucky788

Visit site
Ive had to buy a ride on fly rug this year as they are so bad! Kramer do some brilliant ones and very reasonable if anyone is looking for one :)

Alibear

Visit site
Power Phaser doesn't seem to be helping, Hedgewitch icaridin seems to be the only one having some effect but not long lasting. Ride on fly rug doesn't cover her tummy and that's the key bit. I think hacking may be curtailed soon. I was really pleased last night that with the winds the flys weren't about as much and we got round in one piece :)

Follysmum

Visit site
I have had to stop riding my chestnuts as they keep getting eaten alive and bleeding they go mental with them. Not worth the hassle tbh as don’t want them unsettled

MuffettMischief

Visit site
the only one I have found that genuinely worked was Bremsen. I need to get some more for hacking as have run out! Expensive stuff (ABout £24 for a litre from [removed] supplies) but it is good

DD

Visit site
I want to buy a large plastic black horse the sort tack shops use to put rugs on. fix wheels to its hoofs and gooey glue fly papers all over it and trundle it up and down the lane till I've caught every last one of the bli$$y horse flies.