Horse Flies Gone YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buzyizzy

Visit site
Whilst we are still being besieged with normal flies, I haven't seen a horse fly since July ended. Thank goodness :D

Archangel

Visit site
That's true now I think about it. The flying ants have moved in though, my horse was covered in them the other night.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Weirdly as my horses are by a river and cow fields the horse flies are usually horrendous, as in last summer I had to find alternative grazing until they went as my horses were being driven insane. This year we had barely any and certainly none for weeks. Wonder why? The regular black swarms of flies are horrific though

pippixox

Visit site
Don’t know why the normal black flies are so bad this year though 🙁 they really irritate the horses, especially around their faces even with masks on. But at least they don’t bite

AFB

Visit site
We haven't had any horseflies for weeks, but horses are covered in normal black flies so much so that on the first day they were out in force I didn't dare swat the hand sized patch of them off his hip as I was scared of what I was going to find underneath!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
They have stopped here as well but I think you get a second short wave of them before they give up altogether .
We started riding across farm land again on Friday it was heaven .

Woah

Visit site
Don’t know why the normal black flies are so bad this year though �� they really irritate the horses, especially around their faces even with masks on. But at least they don’t bite

Yes the black stable flies do bite badly on a horse I know they burrow through fur and eat away leaving bleeding patches - they are the worst ones. They are attracted to this particular flea who has Cushing disease and seems to give off a certain scent they love. Horrid things.

buzyizzy

Visit site
Don’t know why the normal black flies are so bad this year though �� they really irritate the horses, especially around their faces even with masks on. But at least they don’t bite

Faces and masks covered here too! Much more so than usual. Maybe it's the lack of water around? Horrid things. Looking forward to an easier ride today tho, especially as the temperature has dropped back to normal summer levels :)

Equi

Visit site
Well i just got bitten by a flying insect on the palm. The palm!!!! How bloody dare it. tbf its not as bad as horsefly bite but it still stung a bit.

MochaDun

Visit site
Yes horseflies gone (the horse's undercarriage took 2 weeks to go down...) but utter besieged with the normal black flies - in 5 years at the yard I have never seen them this bad - the bit from where the fly mask ends on his nose to his lips is just covered in them the minute they are turned out. And wasps buzzing the horses too - watched a wasp tonight thinking a brown spot on the horse was something continually. Horse did the sensible thing of freezing just the humans that do the windmill arms and squealing :) Don't know a lot about flies but I guess they're hungry, thirsty too for salt etc off the horse's skin etc maybe.

Surbie

Visit site
Black flies are horrendous here. I spray the snuggy hood before it goes on and am getting through fly gel at a rate of knots. It gives him some respite during turnout. Can't help feeling the choice to harrow not poo pick can't help.