Horse flies out

Visit site
3 days ago where we are! Argh! Horrid evil things. They hurt sooo much. Avoid dark colours. I had dark blue on today and you could see them make a bee-line for me. :)

lar

Visit site
I got bitten several times on my foot over the weekend. Haven't been able to ride since as foot has come up like a balloon and I can't get a riding boot on.

Another one got me last night on my arm - I swear the horrible thing waited until I was wheeling the wheelbarrow so didn't immediately have a hand free to deal with it.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I rode out last weekend and my poor horse was attacked by them. He's only 7 and very sensitive so i was impressed he kept a lid on it. I jumped off to help him swat them which i think he appreciated. Horrible evil creatures

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I saw the first ones on Saturday away from home.
Finan was covered in them today and he’s grey ( white) He became very stressed.
Urgent purchase of Phazer is required.
I had thought of going to a fun ride on Sunday. It is at a place where horse flies are a nuisance normally and there suddenly seem to be huge numbers here so that idea is abandoned.

Sealine

Visit site
I saw them for the first time this year on Friday evening and then again on Monday evening, both time on the same bridleway. I haven't seen them anywhere else so far which is a bit odd. I'm going to regret that comment as I'll probably see them everywhere now and my horse really hates them. :(

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Each year I forget the absolute beautiful satisfaction that comes with splatting my first horsefly (although usually not before they've sank their teefs into me first).

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Yes first ones here today - nearly knocked son off his feet whacking one on his shoulder! I forgot he isn't my sturdy big horse who lets me whack as hard as I like to kill the little monsters. I absolutely hate them.

paddy555

Visit site
2 executions so far. :D:D

can anyone give some info on power phazer please. I am looking for something for a sensitive horse out riding. He has a ride on fly rug but is still v. sensitive. OK in the field but bit dicey out riding. Liquid, gel, spray? and how best to use it.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Yes I used Power Phaser gel on my geldings under carriage and complete belly line and between back legs when riding out, and down his mane and on his nose line being careful (obviously) to avoid eyes etc. It was very effective on him.

I also use it on my donkey geldings undercarriage now the horse flies are here - that also works a treat, no idea why the blighters and normal flies are so partial to donkeys undercarriage though!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
2 executions so far. :D:D

can anyone give some info on power phazer please. I am looking for something for a sensitive horse out riding. He has a ride on fly rug but is still v. sensitive. OK in the field but bit dicey out riding. Liquid, gel, spray? and how best to use it.
I have Power Phazer gel and although it deters all other flying critters, it does not repel horseflies from landing on my horse (and me - I've been known to sponge it all over myself, bare skin and clothing). Nothing works for us other than the zebra ride-on rug. Just need to get myself a zebra onesie, as they still have a good munch on me.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Isn't that odd BeckyFlowers? I find it great for horseflies most of all. Doesn't that just show we can all recommend whatever we might use, but it could be completely useless on someone else's horse! Trial and error I guess, but trial and error can be so expensive with the price of equestrian products of every kind. :(

Follysmum

Visit site
A couple of my sensitive horses can’t have phaser which I think works well so I have been using hedgewitch fly spray and it’s been fantastic.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Isn't that odd BeckyFlowers? I find it great for horseflies most of all. Doesn't that just show we can all recommend whatever we might use, but it could be completely useless on someone else's horse! Trial and error I guess, but trial and error can be so expensive with the price of equestrian products of every kind. :(
Funny isn't it! Maybe the horseflies down here don't hold much truck with all these fancy gels and sprays, but are totally bamboozled by black and white stripes ???

PurBee

Visit site
Last week the horseflies showed up here.
One bit me on my back while i was strimming. They seriously have a sense of where we cant swat them. If you see anyone in a field spinning waving their arms about, you know horsefly madness has taken hold!

I try all and any sprays…i rotate their use so the bugs dont ‘get used’ to them, which they seemed to when i used just one.

The other evening i brought the horses in and the midges were dire….clouds of them. So aside from my arsenal of ammunition i throw at them to deter them put in place, i suddenly remembered i have a synthetic ‘feather duster’. Found it in a barn (lol!) and eagerly approached horses. Gelding was curious, stern eyed arab curious as i then swished around his whole body with the long 2 foot tassly thing which immediately removed all bugs from his body. He got what i was doing and very thankful. The mare, who incidentally saw what i did to gelding, glared as i then approached her, reversed spin outta there…after an hour i managed a 2 second chest rub to finally prove the lime green weird thing im waggling around wont kill her!

It occurred to me that a feather duster, at this time of year, would be a good riding accessory, instead of a standard crop if normally used, as you can reach any part of the horse being harrassed by horseflies.
Gawd knows what passers by would think! ?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Killed my first one last Friday. My horse knows I can get them so stops so I can kill them. I can't always reach but I can get the ones on his neck and chest and head.

I also got bitten today which is annoying as I react so watching the swelling spread. It's currently about 2 inches in diameter but will get bigger before it goes down.

Power phaser has never worked for us, I watched one land right on my horse after spraying, it hadn't even dried.

They hunt by sight so it makes sense that a zebra print could confuse them.

ponynutz

Visit site
Saw my first couple yesterday and killed a few that got at Dusty today while we were riding. Hate the things. Although I feel like they've come out late this year?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Oh no, they're about are they? Not had the misfortune to encounter the beeping things yet. Have been bitten by other "things" and had the bites leaking so not looking forward to those arriving. ?