Horse flies

3OldPonies

Visit site
One got me last week while poo picking.

Am now 'off games' while the resulting allergic reaction and cellulitis clears up ??

Still, looking on the bright side, at least it was me needing a Dr, not one of the boys needing a vet?, and I learnt how to video call on my phone?

Next DIY job when able to, will be building a fly trap to avenge my poorly arm. Revenge will be sweet and retribution swiftly dealt ?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
We called them cleggs when we lived in Hertfordshire - still do although we live in Beds now

That's interesting - I found this about the origin of the word -

'The Oxford English Dictionary defines cleg as “now Scots and dialect”. Its origin is Old Norse kleggi and the modern Norwegian is klegg.'

I guess the Danelaw strikes again. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
First one this morning. Unfortunately it got underneath the neck of Ted’s fly sheet whilst he was being brought in. He threw a hissy and knocked his handler over. She hung on, he panicked and it all generally went tits up from there.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
One on C’s neck as I led her to the mounting block at home for our first hack out for about 9 weeks. Another on her shoulder part way round.
Both splatted.
Nasty things.
Adding
C has been lunged and ridden at my instructors since lockdown eased and I have led her fully tacked most of the hack route.

PurBee

Visit site
Yep, loads here, the army of them seem to arrive in these parts at the beginning of june. They love the hot sunny weather, and tend to be less active when its cool and cloudy.
If i strim in the sun im surrounded by them in the fields - the buggers can even bite through denim against skin.

They prefer the black mare and generally dont see the spotted grey gelding, who she uses as a horsefly ‘shield’. They’re used to and welcome me slapping them this time of year! The midges have hatched this week too so ive been slapping myself too, building smoke fires, while trying to get some outside work done. Roll on september!! ?