Horse Fly Traps

JillA

Visit site
When they were being widely publicised last year (or was it the year before) the general consensus was that their range wasn't brilliant, you would need more than one to cover a decent size manege. That said I do think they actually did trap horseflies

KautoStar1

Visit site
When they were being widely publicised last year (or was it the year before) the general consensus was that their range wasn't brilliant, you would need more than one to cover a decent size manege. That said I do think they actually did trap horseflies

Do you mean the H Traps ? The big things on stands that cost about 170 each ?

I've been looking at the bucket and special fly trap glue option. Seems pretty easy to make and erect and cost effective too. Just don't know if it will work.

With all the wet ground and then the horse fly breeding season - which starts in a few weeks time - I think we are going to be plagued by the wretched things. I'm trying to find some solution to help. Not expecting it to be a fly free zone, but anything that can zap the beasts has to help doesn't it.

JillA

Visit site
Do you mean the H Traps ? The big things on stands that cost about 170 each ?
I've been looking at the bucket and special fly trap glue option. Seems pretty easy to make and erect and cost effective too. Just don't know if it will work

Yes, was the H traps I was referring to, what are the bucket and glue traps?

Reacher

Visit site
I have something similar to the H trap that I would sell for half what I paid so say £50. (I realise that’s not what you were asking about)
This is it
https://www.horsefly-trap.com/NZ/Photos.html

KautoStar1

Visit site
Yay!!! Finally a use for leaky or handle less black buckets :D :D :D

for the price of a few buckets, some string and a hook and some glue its got to be worth a go hasn't it. Anything that can reduce the number of these pesky things is worth a few hours painting and hanging buckets around the fields.

ponios

Visit site
I have a H- trap, the big one. I put it up around this time last year and it I felt that it made a big difference, compared to the previous summer there were definitely less horse flys around though i dont know if that was due to other factors i.e. weather.

The previous summer, the horses were agitated and begging to come in each morning, the thin skin tb was always covered in bites but last summer they actually managed to live out with hardly any bites seen.

The trick is to get them out early so you cut down the breeding population early.

The build quality is great, very robust. I live on a hill on Exmoor and the summer field where this trap lives is very exposed. I forgot to bring it in after the summer so it was up until January through all the windy weather and it looked as good as when I first put it up.

Hack4fun

Visit site
I bought one of these last year - it is big and well made, and not too difficult to install into the ground with a screw in spiral. It caught some, but I bought it too late to really prevent breeding. I have already set it up again this year but have not looked yet to see how many it caught. Set it up near the breeding area and where it gets lots of sun - that is important as it is the heat of the black ball that acts as the lure.

KautoStar1

Visit site
be aware that sticky fly traps catch baby birds out sometimes too

Um, good point. Hadn't thought of that. If we go the sticky route I will make sure the tops aren't painted just in case a bird lands on top but hopefully as they will be swinging from a pole they wont be easy to land on. And hopefully a bird wont fly into them.

CocoFabs

Visit site
I use a few old black buckets and the sticky trap glue for horse flies from www.Equine-innovations.co.uk or ebay has some. It works great a bit messy but one of the small tubs ive painted about 5 tubs and still have half left, also hasnt dried out or ran of in all the rain. It is great to get rid of the horse flies im just looking for ideas to catch the big flies that hang around cuts :)