Horse footsore in front

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It sounds like you want people to tell you that he's fine and to stick some pads on.
But he's not fine.
He's in pain.
This isn't a job for the farrier or the Internet. You really do need to get your vet out.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
The best farrier in the world can't view what is going on in the foot from what they can see alone.

If it helps, mine had laminitis last year and presented as:

No digital pulse
Cool feet
Farrier confirmed there was no sign of laminitis that they could see - that they could see is the important bit!
He was 'just' intermittently footsore on harder or stony ground and trotted up on hard ground as 1/10th lame - he looked sound on a soft surface
He was borderline PPID & EMS tests (so not negative but not positive either)

He was on grass free turn out too.

He had some rotation in one of his pedal bones upon X ray. He's back in full work but mainly as we caught the laminitis early.

I can't emphasise enough that I'd get the vet ASAP at this point.

Visit site
It sounds like you want people to tell you that he's fine and to stick some pads on.
But he's not fine.
He's in pain.
This isn't a job for the farrier or the Internet. You really do need to get your vet out.

This isn’t the case at all. I am awaiting a call back from my Vet anyway. My whole purpose of this post was to hear similar experiences not to be told what to do. I know the procedure and what to do and am confident in saying that, I do not need somebody I have never met to tell me to put my horse to sleep etc!

Northern Hare

Visit site
When my horse was in his early twenties he suddenly went short in front in the spring. He wasn't on much grass, so I didn't feel that it was likely to be laminitis. Also he'd been part of a veterinary trial for Cushings (6 monthly testing) and had recently been tested and was perfectly ok.

At the time, I'd read an article by a vet who said that any forefoot lameness should at first be assumed to be laminitis until you had discounted it, and not the other way around....

I immediately got the vet out and tested (again) for Cushings and his results came back sky high! We were both amazed, for it to have happened so quickly after his previous clear ACTH test.

He then went onto Prascend, and it made all the difference, although I was of course very careful with the grass he had.

Good luck with your horse! ?

ihatework

Visit site
This sounds pretty typical symptom for a horse this age, around this time when the grass is rich and ground hardening up.

They present footy. Which means low grade bilaterally lame. Ie in pain.

IME it’s generally one of two things, or a combination of both. Low grade arthritic flare and/or low grade laminitis. The LGL does not present like text book laminitis at all so is easily overlooked. Often they don’t have any X-ray changes either.

Vet visit now. ACTH test. Manage as a potential laminitic. Discuss some bute with vet.

southerncomfort

Visit site
You might like to read my thread in the Veterinary section. I think it was called Sore Front Feet.

I'd never heard of subclinical laminitis before but the sore feet were the only symptom. No pulses, no heat, just sore feet. I had xrays done (around £200) which found slight rotation of the pedal bone, but more significantly, very very thin soles. So thin that even treading on a tiny piece of gravel was causing her significant pain. She was also diagnosed with cushings.

The above posters are right in that xrays are absolutely vital to finding out what is causing the pain. In the long run it's cheaper as you won't be treating for the wrong things. More importantly, it'll give you some piece of mind too as it's clear he means a lot to you.

ETA: our mare was also on pretty much zero grass.

Visit site
To those that are concerned, I have spoken to the Vet this morning and she agrees that it doesn’t sound like typical Laminitis but we obviously can’t rule it out so she said to go ahead with having the pads fitted and if no better in a few days she will come out and see him. In the meantime, I am going to restrict his grazing further by putting him in a very small square inside his already restricted paddock and continue bringing him in during the day. We agreed that a Cushings test in the near future is a good idea too in case that is the cause of all of the above. Farrier came again this morning and is adamant it’s not Laminitis. He has fitted him with Leather pads with magic cushion underneath that cools the sole and draws out heat. He said I should notice a difference within the next 24 hours and if not I will be getting the Vet.

suestowford

Visit site
This sounds pretty typical symptom for a horse this age, around this time when the grass is rich and ground hardening up.

They present footy. Which means low grade bilaterally lame. Ie in pain.

IME it’s generally one of two things, or a combination of both. Low grade arthritic flare and/or low grade laminitis. The LGL does not present like text book laminitis at all so is easily overlooked. Often they don’t have any X-ray changes either.

Vet visit now. ACTH test. Manage as a potential laminitic. Discuss some bute with vet.

I too was wondering if there isn't a bit of arthritic pain going on here. I'm looking after a 25-yr old pony for a friend and he is arthritic. To the point where he can no longer be shod as it's difficult for him to hold his feet up for long enough. I got him some 2nd hand hoof boots to wear and have been walking him out in hand and it's doing him the world of good (it's doing me good too :) I am thinner!). He is also on Bute every day for this.
Your horse has done well to get to 23 without being on any meds.

Visit site
I too was wondering if there isn't a bit of arthritic pain going on here. I'm looking after a 25-yr old pony for a friend and he is arthritic. To the point where he can no longer be shod as it's difficult for him to hold his feet up for long enough. I got him some 2nd hand hoof boots to wear and have been walking him out in hand and it's doing him the world of good (it's doing me good too :) I am thinner!). He is also on Bute every day for this.
Your horse has done well to get to 23 without being on any meds.

Thank you. He is pretty much back to
Normal today - walked out in hand last night like a different horse with the pads on but I have decided to take precautions and treat as if Laminitic for a while so he is in a small area of restricted grazing. He’s a little overweight but nothing major. So it’s looking more and more likely it’s due to thin soles and not Laminitis thank goodness which is as I originally thought.

ponynutz

Visit site
I'd get Cushing's test ASAP if it was mine just to put my mind at ease.

Glad he's feeling better and it doesn't sound like it is laminitis although I can well see how people came to that conclusion and with feet in spring it's always better to be safe than sorry. Glad you rang vet in the end, was slightly worried you weren't going to.

Getting his weight back to normal will definitely help and more importantly it'll help you rule out lammy etc in the future. Sounds like the pads are doing a good job!

(Don't particularly think people should be telling others to PTS simply because their horse has a little bit of sore feet and they're trying other things before getting a vet out. Jesus).

Last edited:
Visit site
I'd get Cushing's test ASAP if it was mine just to put my mind at ease.

Glad he's feeling better and it doesn't sound like it is laminitis although I can well see how people came to that conclusion and with feet in spring it's always better to be safe than sorry. Glad you rang vet in the end, was slightly worried you weren't going to.

Getting his weight back to normal will definitely help and more importantly it'll help you rule out lammy etc in the future. Sounds like the pads are doing a good job!

(Don't particularly think people should be telling others to PTS simply because their horse has a little bit of sore feet and they're trying other things before getting a vet out. Jesus).

Thank you, yes like I said he is my world and I would always get the Vet out if needs be. I also know him inside out after 17 years together. Chatted to the Vet twice yesterday and yes, he is going to have a Cushings test soon just to check his levels.

Yes I know, unfortunately some people take it too far and I find very insensitive but I guess they are entitled to their opinion and they have never met either of us. My boy always has everything he needs - I would go without before he had to.