Horse for sale

Clodagh

Visit site
30425151_1535992363190423_6433954369695983535_o.jpg

In what way is this photograph enhancing this horse?
I am old fashioned, but would rather see a horse relaxed in front of the vertical than pulled in behind it. As it is a pro selling I assume there were 100s of photos to choose from, and this was the best one?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I am old fashioned, but would rather see a horse relaxed in front of the vertical than pulled in behind it. As it is a pro selling I assume there were 100s of photos to choose from, and this was the best one?

I often wonder why on earth people have chosen the photo they did. I can only think that they don't actually want to sell the horse.
A smartly dressed rider, in a good position, with a well-groomed horse in minimal tack gives a much better impression, accompanied by a 4-square, untacked confo photo, which actually allows you to see the horse and make a judgement about it.

Clodagh

Visit site
I often wonder why on earth people have chosen the photo they did. I can only think that they don't actually want to sell the horse.
A smartly dressed rider, in a good position, with a well-groomed horse in minimal tack gives a much better impression, accompanied by a 4-square, untacked confo photo, which actually allows you to see the horse and make a judgement about it.

So very true. Perhaps sales livery makes more money if it is just for sale, rather than sold?

Nudibranch

Visit site
No idea but apparently in hand rearing, a rider stood on the back, and lying down in a rug are also effective sale pictures. I mean they must be. There are so many of them.

chillipup

Visit site
Jeez, I'm rather lacking when it comes to all things like this pic but even I think both horse and rider look particularly uncomfortable and neither look happy/good

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I have met far too many people who would think that that horse is "schooling lovely"! A picture like that just puts me right off straight away.

As I said on the random irritation thread lack of a conformation picture and 10 million pictures of the horse jumping only slightly different fences are my bugbear.

Flicker

Visit site
No idea but apparently in hand rearing, a rider stood on the back, and lying down in a rug are also effective sale pictures. I mean they must be. There are so many of them.

Hahaha so true. Lying down in its stable and being kissed by a small child also seem to be very much the thing.

silv

Visit site

You have hit the nail on the head there. My thoughts exactly.

silv

Visit site
Hahaha so true. Lying down in its stable and being kissed by a small child also seem to be very much the thing.

Yes, what is that all about, over here in NZ it seems to be the in thing to put up a photo of the horse with someone standing on its back, no idea why, though to be fair usually the lower end of the marker. Would put me off to be honest I would just think "idiot owner" and not want to deal with them.

Yokosmom

Visit site
How about the ones taken at dusk or an immensely gloomy day, where you can barely make out that there is a horse in photo/video? Why even post if you can’t even see the horse?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
How about the ones taken at dusk or an immensely gloomy day, where you can barely make out that there is a horse in photo/video? Why even post if you can’t even see the horse?

Or the super star hunter that will cross any country / future 4* eventer / dressage horse with established lateral work photographed rugged and standing in the stable or rugged and standing in a field at dusk from a distance.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

It's a really cracking picture, very difficult to obtain without slomo, of a toe first landing.

If that doesn't stop when its head is let go, it's a shoe-in for a navicular syndrome diagnosis sometime in the near future!

frostyfingers

Visit site
Having just bought a horse and trawled through 100’s of ads I totally agree with the comments on rubbish photos. (And don’t get me started on having a conversation with the seller, driving miles and getting there to see something bearing no resemblance to the horse discussed!). However, the horse I bought was advertised with pretty rubbish photos, but the difference was when I spoke to the seller I was sent schooling and jumping videos, conformation pics, vet cert, and previous owners details. If I were selling I’d have photos of each side, a head on, a backend on, and a video of it trotting up. Plus photo of it doing whatever it’s main selling point is - so hunting if a hunter etc.

It makes chuckle though that in the spring all horses are “potential eventers” and in autumn they’re “potential hunters”!

My other bug bear is ads for horse boxes - loads of pics of fancy living areas and none of the horse area!

Clodagh

Visit site
It's a really cracking picture, very difficult to obtain without slomo, of a toe first landing.

If that doesn't stop when its head is let go, it's a shoe-in for a navicular syndrome diagnosis sometime in the near future!

Interesting, I would not have thought of that.

Otherwise

Visit site
To be fair that's actually quite a good photo for an advert. It's a reasonable size, the whole horse is in frame, there's enough light so you can see clearly, it's not blurry, they're not doing some silly stunt like standing on its back, you can make an educated quess about the horses training from it and whether you'd want to look at the horse in person. Problem is if the horse is badly schooled you'll never get a nice photo of it, at least it's a true representation of what the horse is. Yes the horse should be schooled more correctly and people should know better than to like the overall picture and be impressed by it but there's hundreds of photos like this, this is unfortunately all too common a picture.

Flicker

Visit site
Yes, what is that all about, over here in NZ it seems to be the in thing to put up a photo of the horse with someone standing on its back, no idea why, though to be fair usually the lower end of the marker. Would put me off to be honest I would just think "idiot owner" and not want to deal with them.

Yes, and I also think ‘ouch, back’s not going to be in a great way after that stunt’s been pulled a few times’...

popsdosh

Visit site
Don't get me started! Everybody thinks that is a schooled horse. You've only got to look at the ads on the r/h side to see many examples. It would put me right off...

Im surprised both of you picked on that rider lol? I hope theres not a hidden agenda ? All I would say is some horses will naturally go in that sort of carriage and its not like she is hanging on to its front end. Said rider sells a lot of horses to knowledgeable people who are fully aware of what they are buying and I myself have sent to her and will do so again.

popsdosh

Visit site
How did cundlegreens comment pick on the rider?
Perhaps I put it badly . What I meant was due to the geographic locality I was surprised that the rider and seller was set as an example by both Clodagh and cundlegreen as I would be surprised if they didnt know her. Which ever way you look at it the comments are a criticism of the rider .

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ah ok,

it looks like the sort of horse that ought to be able to take a much better picture than the one presented regardless of its preferred carriage.