Horse ''friendly'' (not) gates on bridlepaths

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I came across one of these supposedly 'horse friendly' gates on a bridle path for the first time last year. They are designed to be locked and prevent vehicles from being able to get through, while allowing a horse to 'step' over.

The one near me has been raised off the ground and it's 1'6'' high, and is positioned at the entry point into a field from a road. I can't see how any horse would be able to step over it, and most horses would need to trot and pop it. Therefore many people who don't jump would feel uncomfortable doing this into the field, and it would be downright dangerous for even competent riders to do it into the road. I complained to the council about it last year. I finally got a letter of acknowledgement and about 9 months after my letter all that has happened is the farmer has dumped a load of soil under the gap between the bottom rail and the ground. He's now saying it's only a few inches off the ground, when in fact the gate is just as dangerous as before! I'm actually in two minds about getting hold of some bolt cutters and opening the gate!

I haven't got a photo of the actual offending gate on the bridle path, but the gate is one of these http://www.hellotrade.com/centrewire/standard-horse-friendly-vehicle-barrier.html, and imagine the posts raised so the bottom rail is 1'6'' off the ground and on one side of the gate is a road with just a narrow verge. I've avoided using this bridle path, because of the gate, and looking at the lack of hoof prints, its seems everyone else has too.

Apart from the Council, who have been next to useless, is there anyone else I should contact, or anything else I can do which might have better effect in making it safer and useable?

suzi

Visit site
It's up to the council and the landowner to keep public rights of way clear. Often the responsibility of the land owner but the council should enforce it (which can be very tricky and often the council end up doing the work).

If you have real concerns and are not making progress I would contact the BHS. They have people specifically to help with Rights of Way issues such as this and can offer advice as well as taking the issue up with the council on your behalf.

It might also be worth talking to the other local riders who might want to use the bridlepath too but have the same issues with the current access. The council are far more likely to listen if there are lots of people complaining.

Good luck!

PingPongPony

Visit site
i'd also take a measuring stick, go down to the gate and photograph the gate with the stick next to it. make sure you can clearly see how hight the gate is on the stick, then you have proof, also make sure you have a date on the photo.
we have a problem with the viking way near us, some intelligent ''not'' person comes up to dump their trash right in the middle of the track, suprisingly it actualy also half way down that track which means that this person has to put a lot of effort into getting the trash there and also gets muddy, so whats the point?! surely its easier to just dump it in a bin, saves effort and you dont get muddy. anyway, we rang the council and the trash was there for 3 months before they did anything about it, now theres a new pile already :mad:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
It's good that they have tried to make a horse friendly access while blocking vehicles: however as you describe it installed it sounds both unsafe and effectively an obstruction.

They either need to drop it down or/and move it back from the road so that there is no question of a horse having to jump it into a road.

One wonders if it wouldnt have been cheaper and as effective just to have placed massive boulders spaced across the track but maybe they wanted access for maintenance to the bridleway. However the gate will probably end up being nicked!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
For goodness sake 18" an 11.2 pony can step over that. Horses with riders that do not jump can step over it. Be grateful that you do not have to mount and dismount to open a gate.

biggingerpony

Visit site
That one does seem that bad!!! By me there was one that was on a very steep slope that opened up right onto the road. Fine if your going up the bridlepath but when your going down it the horse tends to trot towards it, pop it and then is immediately on the road, (which is a windy country road) so dangerous!

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
our yards 29" shettie couldnt step over 1ft 6" & i certianly wouldnt want him poping over it onto a road with any of the tinys on his back.

they shoud be fitted correctly, push the point with the council & BHS with photos, dates ect... & if that fails go to the local papers with other local riders.

kirinsam

Visit site
Not seen these types of gate before but they look alot more horse friendly than the ones on the south dowms that are weighted and slam shut behind you (more like when you are halfway through if you are lucky) Think even someone as old as me cold manage to get over this.

mini-eventer

Visit site
It is a bit annoying that the gate isnt fitted propperly. I would go back to the council with photographic evidence

However most (apart from tiny ponies) should be able to step over it in a walk. If your horse is difficult and unwilling too you may have to practice in the school. Teaching him to step over differant objects.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The type of gate you are refering to is called a motorcycle barrier.

They should be erected in such a way that the bottom of the barrier is almost on the surface of the bridleway/byway.

They should also be placed at least 10 metres from any road.

If they do not comply with these specifications they should be treated as an 'obstruction' under rights of way law and should be removed by the enforcement team of the county council.

If you are having problems ask the County Council to compel the land owner to move it and reposition it correctly. If the land owner fails to do this within 2 weeks then the County Council should remove it.

If they fail to do so contact your local county BHS access officer who will be only to pleased to assist you. (I can provide you with their contact details if you E-mail me at peter.natt@btinternet.com

overtherainbow

Visit site
the land owner has clearly made an effort to do something suitable for horses and perhaps just doesnt realise the issue- rather than taking such an aggressive route try being polite and offering solutions.

he could have done something far worse and has clearly bought something designed to be helpful.

dotty1

Visit site
I ride on the Fosse Way and the council have stopped the 4wd going along it as they are damaging it. They have put in metal hunting gates with pull handles on top which are very easy to open - but you have to get through quickly as they slam shut, which isn't too bad if you are alone but makes it very awkward if you are riding and leading. They were very squeaky at first which my four year old took a few times to get used to.
We also have a lane going off the Fosse that has the barriers in the link at each end. Both ends have enough run up if you want to hop over it, I don't think anyone has any problems with them. You can just step over with a bit of clanking!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
My pony is 12hh and really struggles. I have such gates on my routes and one is about this height. I have to go round it through some holly bushes, as although he gamely struggles over it, he bangs his knees/fetlocks and same on the hinds. It leads onto a steep downhill bank so jumping isn't a good idea, especially as the bottom of the bank is the green lane.

Janette

Visit site
To be honest, I would not enjoy negotiating the barrier descibed by OP. Jumping anything is not my cup of tea, and coming over that onto a road is not safe.

'Popping over' is something I avoid, and I suspect I am not the only person who would feel this way.
I would contact the Council bridleways office, and the BHS. It could be that the person who fitted the gate has simply fitted it incorrectly.

Brandy

Visit site
My two ponies would happily jump this height in a jumping setting, however it wuold not be safe to do so heading towards a road (neither would pop and stop!) and neither would step over - the little pony might, but the welsh would stand and launch. Not something I am keen to experience in either direction. My old tb would stand and look and walk sideways and stand and look.......and try to tell you you were mad, he clearly can;t walk on because there is a GATE IN THE WAY!!

Realistically it is too high. 6inches maybe but not 18.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Also those peeps who have trouble with self closing gates, these should where fitted on a bridleway be adjustable and be set so that you can get through comfortably before they close on you.

Note that while initially when introduced some self closing gates had fixed duration/speed of closure, thats hardly ever the case now, however many are just installed without any testing or adjustment being made.

Re the barrier in the OPs post

guidance on the british standard for structures of footpaths and bridleways says

RULE 4: LOCATION OF STRUCTURES.
At vehicular roads, structures must be set back at least four metres from the
(usually metalled) carriageway. Except that when on a footpath which is
unlikely to be used by groups of walkers and which does not continue on the
opposite side of the road, the structure need only be set back two metres from the
carriageway edge [4.1.6].

Strongly recommend the BHS leaflet on Gates which covers issues with both self closing gates and the barrier in the OPs post and outlines how they should be installed.
http://www.bhs.org.uk/sitecore/cont...ets/Rights_of_Way/Rights_of_Way_Leaflets.aspx

It may be useful to use this publication in discussion with the relevant landowners/councils.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The metal self closing gates are also causing problems because the closing tension on them is to strong and it is difficult for a child to keep them open for a following rider. This is especially true wheer they are fitted in a corridor of fencing as the horse can not be turned sideways to ease opening them up.
The metal motorcycle barriers also clang and rattle if hit by the horses feet startling some horses.
Wooden structures are far better because they do not rattle or clang when touched.
The metal ones also look more unsightly and industrial.

9tails

Visit site
My two ponies would happily jump this height in a jumping setting, however it wuold not be safe to do so heading towards a road (neither would pop and stop!) and neither would step over - the little pony might, but the welsh would stand and launch. Not something I am keen to experience in either direction. My old tb would stand and look and walk sideways and stand and look.......and try to tell you you were mad, he clearly can;t walk on because there is a GATE IN THE WAY!!

Realistically it is too high. 6inches maybe but not 18.

Your TB sounds like my WB, not only is there a gate in the way, but IT WASN'T THERE YESTERDAY! :meltdown: Also, no way on this earth would my horse step over 18", there's a horse friendly barrier that is two railway sleepers set 3ft apart that horses are meant to step in and out, she treats it as a spread.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
we have one of these gates on one of our local paths. I was concerned about it with my quiet pony and don't think I'll now be able to ride and lead down this path as it was my way off the roads with my youngster but how she'll react to this gate is worrying. :( The gate clanks, it is very stiff to maneouvre but my girl waits patiently.

Anyone on a fidgety horse has no chance of opening it and while they can step over it, I do worry about them hitting their legs on it.

I agree - wooden gates would be more approriate.

hope you get your issue resolved - OP.

teamsarazara

Visit site
I think your quite lucky to have 'horse friendly' gates or your local council have tried, just with lack of knowledge they probably don't know how big it should be. Make a few suggestions to the council, try not to get too worked up about it! They are trying to work with you, not to do it to annoy you!