Horse from Ireland, Journey time?

Visit site
Ive got a horse on its way from Ireland (cork), I should think its a shared load to the south east UK does any one have any idea how long the journey would usually take?

stormox

Visit site
depends how many others they have to pick up and drop off on way. The transport company will tell you when to expect it when theyve sorted the schedule of their pick ups/drop offs.

stormox

Visit site
All the ones we've had have arrived with no bother, also sent them the other way. Theyr sometimes a bit 'tucked-up' as they dont usually travel with hay (causes fights) but as long as you're using a reputable travel firm you will be fine.

spacefaer

Visit site
The horse is unlikely to be coming direct from Cork. The big transporters have yards at their bases, where they gather together horses to make up a booked load, so he may be collected from Cork on a Monday, travel Tuesday night, land in Wales Wednesday morning, and be with you later on Wednesday pm sometime. depending on drop-offs on the way.

They normally travel very well, although he will be hungry on arrival as they tend not to travel them with hay.

Your transporter will be able to tell you when to expect him though. They will be tight on schedule as they can have return collections to make (save on travelling an empty lorry) and also have to consider driver hours.

Redders

Visit site
I had a good transporter (recommended by a trusted friend) move mine on a shared load from Holyhead to Cornwall. She took three and a half days to get home. Although I think I prefer that to the idea of her travelling the journey (difficult roads etc) in one go. She stopped off at various yards on the way to drop off/pick up other horses on the shared journey and changed boxes from the big transporter she left in to the little 3.5 she arrived in! She arrived late at night, was a little tired and sweaty (last bit to yard is awful country lanes with over hanging trees) but she was fine. I was a little surprised (not overly happy) that the driver have me back her 4 days worth of bagged feeds I sent her off with, but she was none the worse for it and settled in nicely over night. She had no issues or injuries so I was happy with that, I was so worried for those three days!!!!

Eta- I had no experience of transporters etc, and naively thought she would be with me in a day haha! Then friend pointed out that transporters don't pick up one horse per day for a big journey! Seems obvious to me now!

Last edited:

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Mine took two days going the other way, but he met the lorry at a motorway junction (at about 2am in the morning) so saved some time there. He arrived in perfect condition, not tired, sweaty or hungry, but he is a very good traveller and he had hay for the journey. He was about 5 hours later than they told me he would be.

lornaA

Visit site
I live in Stranraer so we get slot of horses passing through the area in their way to and from Ireland. My friend recently go a horse from down near cork. I believe he was picked up in the morning and traveled to just outside Belfast on the first day. Second day they caught an early ferry and he was delivered to Stranraer mid morning before the truck went on its way. Now Stranraer is a good 9 or 10 hours from London so it could be 3 days from cork to south of England depending on route, stop offs and drop offs. He was transported by Eric Gillies and he arrived in perfect condition.

Lulup

Visit site
I have had several from different locations in Ireland and some have been days later than expected often with no phone call until they are an hour away - expect them when you see them is my advice!

Makemineacob

Visit site
Totally depends on how many pick ups/drop off they have. My big lad took 22hrs to get from Southampton to Belfast (only 1 other pick up of polo ponies on the way) and ferry was delayed due to bad weather. Was furious to say the least that they didn't put them into lairage overnight but kept them on the wagon at Stranraer even though he'd fallen in the box and taken the skin off his hocks and tail. He wasn't a good traveller so don't worry about your horse but a lot of things can affect the journey time. The transporter should be able to give you the best idea as to when he may arrive.

qwerty123

Visit site
First delivery using a reputable transporter- 24 hours and horses arrived totally chilled.
My last mare was on the lorry for 40 hours (2 weeks being moved around before the last 2 days!) and arrived hungry and thirsty. That was via a certain 1 man band!

A good transporter will keep you updated along the way.