Horse fussy in the mouth

RisingMist

Visit site
Hi, was just looking for some suggestions really as to bitting/tack to help my boy.
He's always been very chompy with the bit since a four year old but we've just gotten on with it as it's not bad when you're actually riding - more just standing still. He's rising 8 this year and I think it's time to maybe change something now his flatwork is becoming more established - and it's becoming more of an obstacle.
Basically he chomps on the bit when you halt, he gets his tongue over the bit quite a lot when you're riding and a flash noseband doesn't really help. I find him relatively difficult to ride as the contact just isn't nice - it's very hard to describe the feeling he gives and most of the time he looks like he's going well if you watch him - people find it hard to understand that it doesn't feel right - he just doesn't give you a good feeling at all. He tends to tilt his head a lot too - mostly in the canter which I always try to correct but he just carries on doing.
He's currently going in a loose ring snaffle in a plain cavesson comfort bridle. He had his back done 3 weeks ago and is due for the dentist in about a month - but his way of going does not change after he's seen the dentist so I find it unlikely it's his teeth that are the problem.
I have spoken to my trainer and have a few things in mind to maybe try but just wanted some opinions/knowledge of others first.

Thank you! :)

PorkChop

Visit site
I have a mare exactly the same, so I feel your pain!

I ride her in a hanging cheek with a lozenge link - the hanging cheek keeps it super steady in her mouth. she wears a cavesson noseband, I found that anything else made her tense.

Otherwise I would recommend a forward curved mullen, look at informed bitting. Mine went really well in it up to a point, but ultimately I know that it is me that needs to learn to ride more competantly!

Lottiedots

Visit site
I found with my youngster that the loose ringed snaffle was too exciting for him he was constantly messing about with it and also throwing his head up. I changed to a Nene schule trans angled eggbutt He is much happier and def less fussy in his mouth. No longer throwing his head about and quieter in his mouth. Back and teeth all checked too. Worth having a trial with different bits to see what suits.

RisingMist

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions - will definitely be looking into these bits as I no longer feel the loose ring is right for us.

scewal

Visit site
My mare does just as you describe, chomps excessively on her bit while tilting her head. Teeth are fine. I am currently trying her in a myler comfort snaffle.

MS123

Visit site
My andalusian mare was exactly the same as a 4 year old, so bad so that I could barely hold the end of the reins without her throwing her head around. Fast forward 2 years and we are now schooling novice/elem, looking to move up to medium towards the end of summer.

Our trick? ....endless amounts of lessons/training, a comfort bridle, and a NS snaffle (has worked absolute wonders)

RisingMist

Visit site
Thank you all for the suggestions - managed to get my hands on an eggbutt snaffle with a lozenge today and my boy felt MUCH happier with it - think it must be the steadier action of it compared to the movement of the loose ring.
On-wards and upwards I hope!!

soulfull

Visit site
I've just managed to crack this
My mare was constantly messing with the bit. Loose rings made it worse

Anything with a link she messes with

Just put her in a hanging cheek myler Mullen mouth which she is going extremely well inm
I chose the myler Mullen as it has independent rein action

I've found the trick is keeping the bit as still as possible, hence hanging cheek Mullen mouth