Horse getting more aggressive with her food

Siobhanelizabeth

Visit site
I've had my mare since may and in that time she's had to move 5 times. From her first yard because it was vile, then we moved to the other side of the country, then again because it was vile (so, so bad) then because I couldn't afford the full livery. So she's not had the most settled start I know. She is 3 years old.
Anyway, she was left without roughage for extended periods of time at the 3rd yard (hence we left) and since then her behaviour has deteriorated. She pins her ears, bites, turns her bum, and if you have a bucket of food or go near her when she's eating she's like a woman possessed, will think nothing of kicking you and ignore any crazy advance/ whip that's shown towards her. She's been back in my care for 4 weeks but it seems to be getting worse not better.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thinking either start working her or turn her away, as she's now in a paddock on her own (with neighbors) but think she's bored
Tia

meleeka

Visit site
For a start I’d leave her well alone when she’s eating then she’ll have nobody to guard it against. I wouldn’t keep a three year old on individual turnout, especially one who’s had a rough time. I think I’d let her learn to be a horse for a while, with friends and let her get over all the upheaval.

Ellzbellz97

Visit site
I had similar behaviour with my mare when it came to catching and rugging up, I've put her on the NAF Oestress (basically a moody mare supplement) and it seems to have helped a lot, I can catch her easier (most days) and her moody behaviour has calmed down a lot.

twiggy2

Visit site
Don't go near her when she is eating, turn her out with company (she is a horse), ideally turn her away for the winter, make sure she never runs out of forage, stop feeding her a hard feed unless she really needs it.
I tend to feed horses as I leave the yard and/or leave them to eat if I am not leaving. It just means you don't have the problem and generally it settles back down.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Echo what Meleeka and Twiggy have said but will add that if she has extended periods of being without forage, I would have a word with the vet about treating or ulcers.

SEL

Visit site
Consistency is key. My mare was so bad around food 4 years ago (as a 4 yo) she was going to be PTS.

Nowadays I'm still cautious and definitely will not get between her and food in a position where I could be cornered, but 90% of the time she's fine. She knows she gets breakfast in her stable at around 7:30, hay in the field, tea pm and there is always grass to nibble on. The anxiety of not having food has never completely gone away but now she is in a routine and knows food is available she will no longer launch herself at any human within hoof / teeth distance. Didn't happen overnight though and I got a lot of bruises along the way. She also had ulcers and any time she gets anxious over food (ie when I muzzled her in spring) they come back.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Turn her away for a bit and let her chill out. I'd personally turf her out with company over winter and make sure she has plenty of grass or hay and then re access her in the Spring.

Siobhanelizabeth

Visit site
Consistency is key. My mare was so bad around food 4 years ago (as a 4 yo) she was going to be PTS.

Nowadays I'm still cautious and definitely will not get between her and food in a position where I could be cornered, but 90% of the time she's fine. She knows she gets breakfast in her stable at around 7:30, hay in the field, tea pm and there is always grass to nibble on. The anxiety of not having food has never completely gone away but now she is in a routine and knows food is available she will no longer launch herself at any human within hoof / teeth distance. Didn't happen overnight though and I got a lot of bruises along the way. She also had ulcers and any time she gets anxious over food (ie when I muzzled her in spring) they come back.

This is what I'm worried about, she's already bitten someone other than me 😭😫

Thanks everyone. I think letting her be a baby for a while longer might be the way forward (even if I have to give up the nice yard 😪 )