Horse Going For MRI - What To Bring?

sasquatch

Visit site
B is going for his MRI on Thursday, it'll be about a 3 hour journey each way.

He's being taken down by a horse transporter - the one I am using uses a box rather than a lorry and I've heard lots of good reports so hope I've made the right choice.

B has travelled in a box twice in the 7 years I've had him as I don't have my own transport. He can be a bit funny about loading but both times travelled okay, although did get a little bit sweaty on one occasion but nothing more than a small patch on his neck. He currently isn't clipped and is like a bear as he was out without a rug until mid/late-November and is a native cobby type.

I have travel boots, tail wrap etc. What else will I need to bring (other than myself, B and insurance documents, of course!) and would it be an idea to maybe bib/strip clip B for the travelling down? He currently isn't in work, and depending on results of the MRI may be going back out to the field so not sure what to do.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would say bib him personally as you don't want him to be overheated when they then go on to sedate him for tests etc, I would also bring a fleece 'just incase' as my boy was freezing after all was said and done and he came round from the sedation. Luckily I over-prepared!

Another thing I would say is definitely a packed lunch, as you will be there a while. Not much else I can think of really. Good luck!! I hope o god yours goes better than mine

catroo

Visit site
For something similar I've previously clipped out sections on the neck, partly for cooling on a woolly mammoth and also so the vets could inject easier/didn't need to clip him there.

It didn't look great but worked

fredflop

Visit site
Personally I don’t use or like travel boots, especially if it’s a long journey and he’s likely to get hot. The tail guard could be a good idea though, along with the clip.

Puddleduck

Visit site
Take a book or something to keep you occupied while the mri is being done as you will probably have a longish wait. When my horse had his it took most of the day as he had a lameness examination first and it was done under standing sedation so I had to wait for him to be discharged for travel home.

sasquatch

Visit site
I think I'll leave the clip as we're meant to be having snow for the next few days and Thursday is only meant to get as warm as 3 degrees. I'll travel him without a rug but bring his cooler down with him. He has a big thick mane so I may just plait it as even in long plaits it gets it off his neck enough he doesn't overheat there as much (and it also needs to be long plaited as the bits he rubbed out are growing back on the wrong side!)

I'd rather over prepare than under prepare too!

Thank you all, for both advice and the well wishes. Fingers crossed we can get him down and get it done and home again without any set backs, and that the results at least tell us something so I can work out what to do with him next.

Will remember the packed lunch and a book! I need to ring to confirm times tomorrow for the transporter as I forgot too today.

Counterpoint

Visit site
Personally I don’t use or like travel boots, especially if it’s a long journey and he’s likely to get hot. The tail guard could be a good idea though, along with the clip.

This^
Although I probably wouldn't clip.
Many transporters dislike boots, and I have come across some who take them off as soon as the owner has disappeared. They really aren't needed in a box with no other horses, if you are really worried just go for hock and overreach boots.

Sheep

Visit site
A friend used a transporter for the same thing a couple of months ago, are you going to Troytown?

If so, the transporter took her and her mum into the nearest town so they wouldn't be bored waiting for hours at the horsepital... might be an option for you guys if it's the same transporter (though he was based out towards Ballymena, initials PF, so maybe not) or if the transporter also doesn't want to hang around for hours.

sasquatch

Visit site
A friend used a transporter for the same thing a couple of months ago, are you going to Troytown?

If so, the transporter took her and her mum into the nearest town so they wouldn't be bored waiting for hours at the horsepital... might be an option for you guys if it's the same transporter (though he was based out towards Ballymena, initials PF, so maybe not) or if the transporter also doesn't want to hang around for hours.

Yep, heading down to Troytown :)

Different transporter, but sounds like a similar set up. I was going to drive down to follow them down though as I'm actually studying in Dublin (we start back on the 22nd), so once B has been dropped off I was going to go and drop a few things off at halls lol. I also have a friend who lives in Maynooth so can always go and meet up with her!

Sheep

Visit site
Yep, heading down to Troytown :)

Different transporter, but sounds like a similar set up. I was going to drive down to follow them down though as I'm actually studying in Dublin (we start back on the 22nd), so once B has been dropped off I was going to go and drop a few things off at halls lol. I also have a friend who lives in Maynooth so can always go and meet up with her!

That's handy, at least you aren't stuck at the Horsepital all day. My friend spoke very highly of them (her horse ended up going down for surgery as well) and said they were fantastic to deal with. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

jj_87

Visit site
I would take him a couple of rugs and packed tea, just incase they want him to stay over night following the results of the mri.

Plenty of food and layers for you too and something to read!