horse going into stables, but never been stabled before *help*

princestar

Visit site
My friend's pony has gone from being out 24/7 with field shelters and free access to 19 approx acres to now having approx 6 acres of fields and stabled at night. She has a haynet, a lickit treat and a snack ball.

Is there anything else that can keep her entertained?

Also, if the weather is bad then she might stay in for a few extra hours during the day, so anything to keep her entertained as she isn't used to being kept in of a night (only the occassional at her old yard)

Plus I'm hoping to move soon from field livery to diy stables so also want ways to keep him sane (don't want any vices/bahaviour problems)

Any toys or activities you use?

Thank You :)

Helli.c

Visit site
I have not personally used it but the Likit Boredom buster looks like a more tricky game for horses rather than just the standard lick, on robinsons there is also a stable distraction horse toy?

Last edited:

Theresa_F

Visit site
I always give ad lib hay when in the stable. I am lucky in that our two despite being a cob and a clydie don't pile on the weight. Farra and Stinky had never been stabled when I bought them, and immediately took to the stable as they had constant food to eat.

They get their snack balls once a day with nuts in, may sometimes get a swede or huge parsnip thrown in but I don't bother with lickits as I found they were gone in a few hours, even with a twister ball.

I am lucky in that mine are content to stand in, munching and watching the world go past their stables. The very much like their new yard as they are opposite the school and can stand watching horses being exercised.