Horse going on a 2 week trial tomorrow....nervous!!

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Someone please tell me to snap out of it.

People came to view him last night, said they liked him but wearn't 100% sure and wanted a 2 week trial. My gut was screaming 'NO' as I don't do trials normally- too much risk for seller!! HOWEVER I know who these people are, plenty of people I know know them too. I know their set up and I know if they DID decide to take him that they would provide a really good home for him.

Is there anything I should do? Do you ask for any of the money upfront or wait until trial is over? Never done a trial before so am a bit unsure.

landf

Visit site
Definitely get the money upfront! Just put it in writing that you will refund if they decide not to go through with buying him.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Really, I thought the norm in trials was purchase after trial period is over?? Though to be fair I dont know much about trials as never done one before.

Well yes, that is my main worry. What if they break him?? She doesn't have any of her horses insured I know that and yes, he is insured by me but that wouldn't cover her would it?

They are lovely people and I know they are genuine but I could potentially stand to lose a lot and them nothing.....

quirky

Visit site
I had horse on trial, paid in full and showed proof of insurance. Receipt said only to be returned if incompatible. ie. Not injured.
I kept him.

juliette

Visit site
I had my horse on trial for a month before i paid for him. I bought him from a friend of a friend.

I paid for a 5 star vetting before i had him on trial and arranged insurance commencing when he arrived for the trial.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I would ask for a hefty deposit and insist that he is insured for those two weeks. I understand why you've let them trial the horse but don't let them take the mick and think they can have a free horse for two weeks.

wallykissmas

Visit site
I would ask for a deposit upfront.

Will they be able to be insured for two week and what will the exclusions be after all his vets treatments ? I would keep your policy in place in the event of any problems.

Kat

Visit site
We had a full contract, the old owner kept her insured and I paid a deposit. I had my own public liability insurance and the owner came to my yard and met the YO and left them her contact details too. Our trial went well and we bought our horse at the end.

Visit site
I got a trial on one of my ponies but paid the money up front. It was a good thing to as it was my first pony and my instructor said it wasn't safe to keep him as he was constantly rearing up, he nearly fell over a few times apparently.

If you take the money up front or a large deposit for loss of use then it should be alright.

Bernster

Visit site
I'd ask for them to vet first, pay deposit and then a trial but staying at your yard. Wouldn't let mine go off the yard without full price being paid.

Lou23

Visit site
I've just done a trial with my pony who we just sold.

I informed the insurance company what was happening and they covered our mare on her trial. If the people who trial your horse get insurance they will only be insured for external injury for the first 2 weeks.

I then did a loan agreement which covered us for the trial. They then had pony veted and bought her.

Good Luck, sounds like a lovely home you want for your horse

Xx

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Before sending the horse on trial it should be vetted by their vet to determine the condition it was in at the point of going on trial. You should ask for a copy of the vet's report. You should have full insurance in place and ask for the purchase price up-front. Not a deposit.

Happytohack

Visit site
Before sending the horse on trial it should be vetted by their vet to determine the condition it was in at the point of going on trial. You should ask for a copy of the vet's report. You should have full insurance in place and ask for the purchase price up-front. Not a deposit.

Exactly this. Plus horse can only be returned if incompatible not if injured while on trial. Whoever these people are and no matter how well you know them, trials are to be avoided. Why can't they come & try him at your yard as much as possible? Going on a 2 week trial will hardly give the poor horse time to settle .

windand rain

Visit site
never again will I do loans or trials as everytime I have tried it the pony has come home broken. 2 came home lame and one a superb showjumping pony came back unwilling to jump a pole on the ground dont know quite how they managed that one she was a cracking pony that never stopped at anything

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Oh god, I'm not exactly feeling confident now :confused:

I know it's a risk and if it was anyone else I would not at all be letting someone trial him.

Vetting isn't an issue as they are not having him vetted (horse is only going for a v nominal sum due to health issues and the fact he really is only suitable now for hacking and light schooling) He was at Rossdales last month where he had every test under the sun and every part of him checked etc. I have shown them the vet report that cleary states he is fit and healthy apart from arthritis.

They have said he will be covered under their insurance

noodle_

Visit site
what was wrong with him in the end??

and no - if hes a "nominal sum"...... money upfront and thats that....no trial - they want the horse or they dont!!!

i dont do loans or lwvtb..... if they are that concerned they need to get it vetted and then hand over the money....

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had several trials of horses here .
Each time we have both signed a slightly revised copy of the BHS loan aggreement .
If the horse is insured the owner has continued the insurance and imformed the insurance company where he is.
If not I have insured the horse for the period with the NFU.
I prefer not to turn out loaned horses but in most cases the owners have preferred that I do so so I have added words to that effect into the loan agreement .
I only vet after I have decided I want them.
They have all been horses with training issues that the sellers really wanted me to buy and i have been unsure if my memory serves me right it been the sellers who have suggested it in almost all the cases.
I think I only sent one back after it failed the vet.
Another ended up given to me after it failed the vet he's still here.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Well,

One of the reasons I have agreed to the trial is that they want him predominantly for hacking around their private estate (so all off road which is fab for him as he is not good with large vehicles) HOWEVER, the hacking at my new yard is terrible, for the first 2 miles it is just a long, extremely narrow country road with limited passing places and ditches either side so not like you can even get the horse out of the way easily. You have to hack for about 25 mins (and pray you dont come accross any large vehicles) before you reach a bridleway and places to trot and canter (he shouldn't be trotted on roads anymore due to arthritis) so I WOULD have asked them to just keep coming back to try him but really, it would be v hard for them to do so due to my hacking.

I have just typed out a trial period 'contract' if you like, IF they don't want him, would it be fair to stipulate that they would have to have him transported back at their cost? I am being nice and paying half for a transport company to take him to them tonight but would not pay half again.

Lolo

Visit site
If they want to send him back, that needs to be done at their own cost.

I'd be inclined to ask for the payment before he goes, and then have a contract stating if he's not fit for purpose you'll reimburse fully, or have a deposit which won't be reimbursed...

You're being v. generous to pay for transportation in the first place!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I think I am a bit of a mug really aren't I :(

I just so want to find him a good home :(

I don't think you are at all.

I would not buy a horse without having a trial. When I sold my coloured I let the girl have him for two months before I sold him, I knew them and I wanted to make sure they both got along, it weas important for me that my horse had a really super home. I disagree that 90% of trials go wrong, I have never had a problem, just asked that they insure them and pay me some kind of deposit.

Bernster

Visit site
Not at all PP, you want what's best, it's just that there will be a lot more scare stories on here I think. As a compromise, can he stay on your yard but they box him up to take him hacking, or he has a day trip to their place for a hack if it's local? But realise that may be a fair amount of bother.

I think if it's a nominal amount, I'd be more tempted to take the money and offer a refund (or a good chunk, like 50%). Agree it's reasonable to pay half travel cost there but they pay for return. But if all goes south, and they refuse to pay, you may end up collecting him...Best of luck whatever you choose. It's hard balancing it out as I wouldn't want to buy without a trial period, although at their yard is fine with me.