Horse ground behaviour vs ridden

Michen

Visit site
Just curious as to what you have found with your youngsters. I took my baby Connemara to in hand agility today as a little chilled outing for him to build up his confidence in the lorry. It's his second solo outing and he travelled beautifully and could not have cared less about any tarpaulins, flags etc. He was quite fiery when he arrived but nothing tragic.

About half way through two horses were being led near the ring to their fields. He went absolutely berserk and did a display of acrobatics both on hind and front legs that if he ever did with me on him would probably put me off every getting on him again. Combined with shouting his head off at them despite there being two other horses in the school, walking quietly with him.

He's not the easiest of rides and he is a sharp, reactive youngster but he's never done anything like that under saddle at home. It's put me off somewhat as it was such a small bizarre thing for him to react over and if he did that in a warm up it would be horrendous, well frankly I don't think I'd have had a chance of sitting it. I was planning on taking him to a little dressage comp soon but thinking twice now.

Not sure whether this would mean he even would do it under saddle but suppose it makes it likely....?

Hmmmm, babies eh!

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Hmm, interesting question...
In terms of specific behaviours I would say no, I haven't ever really seen an in hand behaviour directly translate to a ridden behaviour (unless there's an underlying physical issue maybe that can be aggrevated in hand or ridden). But their general temperament will translate - so sharp in hand will generally be sharp ridden, nappy in hand will often be nappy ridden etc.
In terms of what your lad did, not sure, but I wouldn't be immediately concerned. I have known many horses that are fond of expressing themselves through rearing as youngsters but never do it ridden (I own one now in fact :p). You have to think about what he did just before throwing those shapes, and what would you have done when riding if he had tensed up/got silly at that point? Chances are you would probably have done something when riding that would have prevented it escalating any further.

PorkChop

Visit site
It wouldn't concern me, just look at what some horses are like in the field or on the lunge - nutters - but it doesn't necessarily equate to how they are ridden!

SEL

Visit site
I've seen plenty of horses throw some impressive acrobatic performances in hand when shown (my friend's little Arab has form), but are angelic under saddle.

Take him to a few more in hand shows and he'll probably settle when it becomes more routine.

I've just moved to a new yard and my young mare is having the odd 'kevin' moment both in hand and under saddle. She'll get over it, but I'm in the body armour for the time being just in case the acrobatics get a bit too exciting!

scats

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much. Hooligan was the king of field and lunge acrobatics. On the lunge, if something very minor happened nearby, he would explode in a bucking fit and turn himself inside out in a way that if he did it when ridden, he would have seriously injured someone, but he never did it under saddle ever, even when tense.

Strangely, he was sharp to ride but not overly sharp on the ground when being lead. Lunging was a different story, however.

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm another who says don't worry! Pocholo isn't sharp at all but he throws some amazing shapes on the lunge, to the point that I just don't bother lunging him any more. He wouldn't dream of doing it under saddle!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It wouldn't concern me, just look at what some horses are like in the field or on the lunge - nutters - but it doesn't necessarily equate to how they are ridden!

agree with this but my first mare I had was sharp to hack and could put a few spooks and spins in but nothing that terrible to unseat you intentionally, but take her to a show and she would turn herself inside out she was worse in hand but I did have to leave the ring a few times while doing a ridden class because of her antics.

she did improve over the years but could still have a moment I found rescue remedy for us both helped and lots of riding in before entering a ring, it could just be that it was his first show and it all got a bit much, maybe do a few more shows with in hand classes and just ride him around the ground without the pressure of ridden classes and see how he is.

Michen

Visit site
Thanks all. I shall try and put it out of my mind. He is without a doubt the most opinionated and cheeky horse I've ever come across which works in my favour when he applies himself to what you want him to do but not the other way round! Oh well, the best ones are never easy eh? At least that's what I tell myself...

tatty_v

Visit site
My connie can be a nightmare on the ground at times (never even braved an in-hand show!) but hardly puts a foot wrong ridden - maybe yours is the same :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mum's mare was always tricky and would rear in hand, took her in hand showing once- only once :p
ridden, if she is bothered she goes backwards but in all those years not even threatened a rear or anything. So I certainly wouldn't read too much into it.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
My daughter's little loan Section A has done some pretty terrifying stuff on the ground being led (with no child on board). Scared the life out of me because if she did that with child on top, child would go flying. So far, she's been ok with child on but it does put the fear of god into you!!

Elsbells

Visit site
My mare was a complete nightmare in hand and other people were terrified of her so much so they wouldn't bring her in when she was a youngster, I could of course no problem. Ridden, she was a complete dream if a horse, yes she could spin and at times nap but I used to say she was all mouth and trousers as none of it was ever serious or meant, it was just her. Horse of my lifetime and still miss her terribly.

BandL

Visit site
I'm another one for having a completely different horse on the ground to ridden. My rising 6 year old is temperamental and argumentative at times on the ground. She used to spend most of her time lunging on her back legs (not so much now), however, put some tack on and get on board and she is the best! She is still quite a sensitive mare but she really try's for you when you ride and never shows any signs of being naughty under saddle.

Bernster

Visit site
My boy is generally laid back but I've had him since he was 4 so we've had the odd moment associated with him being nervous or green. On the whole I'd rather be riding him as he's better behaved under saddle than in hand.

Orangehorse

Visit site
My horse will sometimes do handstand bucks and all four feet off the ground when in the field and I think "hm, I hope he doesn't do that when I am on him." Well he never has, ever.

amandaco2

Visit site
my youngster rears a lot.
she does it in the field in play, excitement, temper. she used to do it al lot inhand too.
ridden she has reared twice so far, once was half height in confusion, second was full and in temper. so id say if your horse has a very common ingrained default behaviour loose or inhand, it can be something to consider they will do under saddle if they feel under pressure/ excited/ whatever sets the behaviour off at other times............

pixie27

Visit site
Easier said than done, but try not to let it bother you! I'm the wimpiest rider ever, and my boy can have some absolute tantrums both on the lunge and leading to/from field. He's had the odd bronc and fly buck when ridden, but never to the extent he does in hand. I partly put this down to being quite willing and happy to ride (if not sharp and a bit quirky) - he wouldn't do anything like rear/throw himself around because he's got me on top telling him what to do!